Random Freeze Crashes

miked1991

Warlord
Hi,
I've been having problems more and more with civ 5 freezing up on me whilst I play. The display will simply freeze however the sound is unaffected. There is no way to fix the problem other than to hard reboot the computer. These freezes can occur at any time, infact they rarely happen between turns, it's usually just halfway through the turn it freezes whilst I'm ordering my units. I'm not sure exactly when this problem started but I think it has been getting worse since G&K. I've tried re-installing CIV but no luck with that.

I'm no techie so I don't know what's up but my guess is this is to do with not having a great graphics card? I have an i7 processor, 1TB hard disc, and 6 GB of RAM. I don't know the specs of my graphics card (nor how to find out) but I was told that the graphics card was the weakest part of the pc when I bought it.

Could anyone explain what my problem might be? Is my assessment correct?

You also might want to check the size of the save files. How mauch available space do you have in your hard drive?

My PC is split into two 500 GB drives, and I've still got more than 300 GB free on each one.

I should also have mentioned that the crashes appear to be independant to the point of the game. I've had problems on turn 30 just as much as I have had on turn 300.

Have you cleaned out the dust from inside the computer since you bought it?

It could be heat related, or your hard drive is starting to show signs of failure.

If your graphics card is near the minimum requirement, and it could be getting hot too, it is hard to say what is exactly going on unless you can post your diagnostics. If you type directx in help, it should give you a selection diagnosing directx and running that will tell you what graphics you have.

Yeah cleaned out the PC a month or so ago when I replaced a faulty fan so can't imagine it's got a dust problem again so quickly. Equally the PC is only a year old so the hard disk should be fine for year to come I'd presume.

Went into directx, my graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, with 3804 MB total memory. I've no idea if that's good or not?

I recently moved from my student home at university back to my parents house and my PC is kept under my desk at home, so do you think that could be causing it to be heat related? That would explain why the crashes seem to come in bunches. Should I try moving my computer to somewhere else and see if that fixes it?

I have the same problem as you, though my Asus laptop only recently started acting up around Civ V. My drivers are up to date, so no idea why G+K games are causing it to crash (to be fair, it crashes later on, not just when you load it up).

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, Windows 7 64 bit here.

I've moved my computer to a better aired spot now and I've not had a problem since. It's only been a couple of days so I might just have been lucky, but I think timtofly was right when he suggested it could be a problem with overheating.

Top Bottom