worked for weeks, now slow

Bubbles

Chieftain
Hey all.
I've been playing Civ BNW since it was released and it's worked just fine. In fact, it worked fine yesterday.

So today I started playing the game, and it's so slow I'm unable to play it. It doesn't matter which save I load or if I start a new game, it's still equally slow. Even without moving the map I can see all the animations of the units etc. being slow. The CPU isn't loaded much, nor is the graphics card. It's just slow.

I've changed no hardware. Only thing I've installed is the Webroot SecureAnywhere antivirus. However, I uninstalled it and the problem remains. All other games work fine too. What is up?

I have a 3630QM processor with a Nvidia 650M graphics card.

1) Laptop overheating, CPU throttled automatically.

2) The Antivirus crap may have changed your energy/power settings from 'balanced' or 'high performance' (highly recommended for gaming) to 'power saver'.

3) You don't happen to for some reason have accidentally disabled Quick Movement/Quick Combat in the game options?

1) Laptop overheating doesn't explain why it's doing that when there's not even much load on the CPU or GPU, or why it happens immediately when I start playing.

2) Checked power settings; there's no change.

3) Quick movement / combat options won't change anything as there's no need to do/move anything to see it's slow. It can be my turn and I won't touch anything - the game is basically idling - and it's still slow when you just look at the birds circling the fish tile or something.

I just noticed that if I lower the graphics details in game I can get much better performance. But they were the same as they've been the whole time I've been playing the game, so it's not like something happened to them.

This is weird.

Still thinking #1 (but probably graphics unit instead of CPU). Try "Core Temp" to check these temperatures.
They might have automatically throttled themselves down to prevent damage.
The game doesn't have to run for hours for that to happen, it can happen right away when you start it up, especially in these hot days.

I already tried GPU-Z which, among other things, gives the GPU core temperature. It was around 55C which is around the idling temperature for the 650M. It's not doing anything!

Is it possible that it somehow switched to my internal Intel 4000 to process the game? Can that even run it? I did try to force it to run on the 650M though and nothing changed.

If I set all the graphics settings to "low" without any anisotropic filtering I can play the game OK... But I used to be able to play on much higher settings.

Have you checked the Graphics settings to see if anything changed?

I had the same problem.
Reinstalled the game aaaand it's gone :)

Top Bottom