Female Missionaries ModComp

SaibotLieh

Emperor
Female Missionaries ModComp

This modcomp adds a female version for each of the Missionaries as well as for the CEOs. These new units don't replace the original units. Instead there is a certain chance that each time a Missionary or CEO is build, this unit is female. The chance for this is 15 % without the emanzipation civic and 50 % with that civic. Because the Female Missionaries and CEOs have the same attributes as the original male ones this modcomp doesn't alter the gameplay in any way, it's just pure eye candy. In order to keep the civilopedia clean, the new units won't appear in it. However, you can see that this modcomp works by checking the original Missionaries. If there is a new entry 'Replaced by ...' the modcomp works.

Pictures:
Spoiler :

[/img][/img]

Now for the more technical details:

This modcomp is mostly modular. However, there are some files that can't be made modular. These files are three python files (CvEventManager, CvPediaUnit, CvPediaMain) and two xml files (Audio3DScripts and AudioDefines). The changes in the python files can be found by searching for 'saibotlieh', the changes in the xml files can be found near the buttom of the files (lines 22861-23005 and lines 10979-11013). Further there is a sound folder with custom sounds that must be placed direct into the base mod Assets folder.
All files in the zip-file are already put into the necessary folder, unzipping it directly in the Mods folder of BtS should result into a working mod.
The python functions that changes the Missionaries and CEOs to female units is written in a way that all units with the DefaultUnitAI attribute 'UNITAI_MISSIONARY' that have similiar named female unit counterparts are targets. For example, the existence of the Unit_Female_Christian_Missionary makes the Unit_Christian_Missionary a target. So, if it is desired to add more female Missionaries and CEOs to this modcomp (for custom Missionaries for example) this is possible by just naming the new female units accordingly and making sure that their DefaultUnitAI attribute is 'UNITAI_MISSIONARY'. For example, if a Female Shinto Missionary should be added to this modcomp, that unit should be named Unit_Female_Shinto_Missionary (if the original unit is named Unit_Shinto_Missionary that is).

If you are using my Native Amazon, my Female Great People or my Female Modern Soldiers modcomp with this modcomp:

- The python files in the Screens folder don't need to be changed.
- Most of the sound files are the same, they can be overriden if asked for.

Download Link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14863

Credits/Thanks

- The_J for his 'Invisible dummy techs' mod that I've modified to fit to my needs.
- God-Emperor for the idea to use the Civilopedia entry for turning the units invisible.
- BioWare, the audio files are from their game Dragon Age Origins.
- Ploeperpengels 'female sound animations' that where my starting point for my animation sounds.
- Dancing Hoskuld for helping to make the 'start automated' and 'rally point' options working for the female missionaries
- The_Coyote for teaching me how to shader units & leaderheads
- All the users that gave their feedback to my unit creations.
- All the writers of the tutorial section and helpful people in the forums. Without those, I'd never have learnt how to mod in the first place.

Last edited:
The purpose of the changes to the python code in the screens folder is to stop the female units showing up in the Civlopedia. Is this correct?

Except for the bit of not showing these units in the Sevopedia, I have converted this to WoC/BUG format.

The purpose of the changes to the python code in the screens folder is to stop the female units showing up in the Civlopedia. Is this correct?

Except for the bit of not showing these units in the Sevopedia, I have converted this to WoC/BUG format.

You are correct, the only purpose of the changes in those two files is to make the units invisible. I don't know anything about the python changes for the Sevopedia, so I can't offer a solution for that. In fact the changes I did base on the work of The_J, so I'm no expert for changes in the normal Civilopedia either.
How large are the files necessary to make the mod work this the WoC/BUG format? If they are not too big, I could include them in the download file if you send them to me.

Can be done, can be done.
In the main sevopedia file should be at the end a function which sorts the objects, there you can sort the double units out.
Is the only place which needs editing in this case.

Edit: And sure congrats to your next modcomp :goodjob:.
Will there be a complete female mod at the end?

Done. What delayed me was that after I had done it and tested it I realised that I had used it for a mod of a mod and both had changed the file SevoPediaMain.py.

So attached is the clean BUG/WoC version. I will post different ones to the RoM and RoM/AND forums:rolleyes:

You will need to run woc_installer.jar in the Modules folder to get the sounds.

Edit: updated 14th August 2010

Attachments

• Female Missionaries BUG WOC.7z
    924.3 KB · Views: 238
Can be done, can be done.
In the main sevopedia file should be at the end a function which sorts the objects, there you can sort the double units out.
Is the only place which needs editing in this case.

Done. What delayed me was that after I had done it and tested it I realised that I had used it for a mod of a mod and both had changed the file SevoPediaMain.py.

So attached is the clean BUG/WoC version. I will post different ones to the RoM and RoM/AND forums:rolleyes:

Edit: forgot to mention that you will need to run woc_installer.jar in the Modules folder to get the sounds.

Thanks for your efforts. :goodjob: I'll add the file to the next update. Or do you plan to post it somewhere? Then I would just add a link to that thread.

Edit: And sure congrats to your next modcomp :goodjob:.
Will there be a complete female mod at the end?

Well, it's not finished yet, but thanks anyway. :) In fact I thought about putting all modcomps together to form a mod, but I guess it would rather be a big modcomp. Maybe I'll have some ideas that I could add to form a real mod. :think:

Since this is not a change to game play I reckon it is a candidate for inclusion in BUG itself. I do have an alterior motive for saying that, since if it is in BUG it will eventually become bart of Rise of mankind and I wont need to have three versions of the code ;).

I don't know about the BUG mode, but I think there might be a chance that this modcomp will be add to the BAT mode at some time.

It would also be enough, if avain includes this in Varietas Delectat
Along with many other mods IIRC the BAT mod is based on that (and on BUG of course)

Since this is not a change to game play I reckon it is a candidate for inclusion in BUG itself. I do have an alterior motive for saying that, since if it is in BUG it will eventually become bart of Rise of mankind and I wont need to have three versions of the code ;).

I don't know about the BUG mode, but I think there might be a chance that this modcomp will be add to the BAT mode at some time.
Unfortunately, the female units will never be able to be a component of BUG, because of their game changing nature. That would violate the philosophy of BUG itself.

However, I can confirm that all of the girls will definitely make an appearance in the next major release of BAT. I am currently reworking and testing the code for them in the new BAT build, and patiently waiting for the rest of the missionaries.

And, of course, they look beautiful, as we women often do. :)

Unfortunately, the female units will never be able to be a component of BUG, because of their game changing nature. That would violate the philosophy of BUG itself.

However, I can confirm that all of the girls will definitely make an appearance in the next major release of BAT. I am currently reworking and testing the code for them in the new BAT build, and patiently waiting for the rest of the missionaries.

As far as I can see there are no game play changes. You just have a unit that has two different audiovisual forms.

Btw there are two unofficial religions which only have female missionaries at the moment.;)

As far as I can see there are no game play changes. You just have a unit that has two different audiovisual forms.

I guess this is a borderline case. But as far as I know no new unit graphics are part of the BUG mode, thus my female 'replacements' aren't candidates for the BUG mode.

I just can say again that I'm very happy about this. :) I'll try to complete the missing missionaries as soon as possible. ;)

Thanks, but of course they are merely copies of reality. :)

Btw there are two unofficial religions which only have female missionaries at the moment.;)

There are? Anyhow, I'm not in the business for male units at the moment. :lol:

And now for something completely different:

The Islamic Missionary is finished and added to the modcomp. Here are some pictures:
Spoiler :

As can be seen I've clothe her with a tunica. I hope this isn't too unhistorical, at least today this seems to be a rather common garment for Muslim woman. This way I could add a little variety to the missionary set.
I guess the Hindu missionary will be next. Of course, ideas for the last three missionaries are still welcome. ;)

The basic tenet of the BUG mod is that it actually makes no changes to the game whatsoever. This has, according to what EF has told me, always been the core philosophy. It enhances the user's game play experience without altering the game. BAT, on the other hand is a superset of BUG. It also does not change the game by changing any rules, but adds to the experience by having all of BUG's information features, with graphical enhancements to make the game visually more exciting. BULL, the newest component, offers some changes to the game in terms of how units behave, and some extra information being available to the player.

BUG gets it's name from "BTS Unaltered Gameplay", and that is something that EF and Ruff try hard to preserve.

I just can say again that I'm very happy about this. :) I'll try to complete the missing missionaries as soon as possible. ;)
And I can tell you that we are happy about this as well. Both EF and myself were thrilled about the idea of being able to add some gender diversity to BAT. Judging by the response to your modcomps that I've seen from others, I'm sure it will be a hit, and I can't wait for the release. There is no hurry for the rest of the missionaries, BAT 3.0 is still at least a month away.

I have the Python complete for one method of using the females in BAT, but I am looking at a way to implement the girls using the SDK, and I am currently reworking the XML to incorporate all of the female modcomps (except the Amazons) into BAT. As promised, I will provide the reworked code, modules, and SDK changes (if modified), for you to use to make your versions more BUG compatible and modular, if you choose to do so. :)

Good work SL. :goodjob:

(not that you need me to tell you that)

I'll wait until you are finished with the regular missionaries to send you some images that you can use as a basis for the missionaries I have requested (as long as you are still willing to do the job that is), I'd really like to use your modcomp with my mod, but I have a few extra religions. Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm a big fan. :goodjob:

...And I can tell you that we are happy about this as well. Both EF and myself were thrilled about the idea of being able to add some gender diversity to BAT. Judging by the response to your modcomps that I've seen from others, I'm sure it will be a hit, and I can't wait for the release. There is no hurry for the rest of the missionaries, BAT 3.0 is still at least a month away.

I have the Python complete for one method of using the females in BAT, but I am looking at a way to implement the girls using the SDK, and I am currently reworking the XML to incorporate all of the female modcomps (except the Amazons) into BAT. As promised, I will provide the reworked code, modules, and SDK changes (if modified), for you to use to make your versions more BUG compatible and modular, if you choose to do so. :)

That sounds like some work to do, but I can see the potential of making better use of the units by implenting them into the SDK. For example, the birth message for the great people could be fixed that way. Of course, I wish you best of luck for the modifications. ;)

Good work SL. :goodjob:

(not that you need me to tell you that)

I'll wait until you are finished with the regular missionaries to send you some images that you can use as a basis for the missionaries I have requested (as long as you are still willing to do the job that is), I'd really like to use your modcomp with my mod, but I have a few extra religions. Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm a big fan. :goodjob:

As always, thanks for the kind words. :)
Of course I can't really promise anything about the missionaries for your extra religions, but I'll definitely take a look at the pictures that you'll send me.

That sounds like some work to do, but I can see the potential of making better use of the units by implenting them into the SDK. For example, the birth message for the great people could be fixed that way.
I've been able to fix the birth message without the SDK.

Here is a little sample from BAT 3.0. :)

Spoiler :

The units look wonderful. :goodjob:

I've been able to fix the birth message without the SDK.

Here is a little sample from BAT 3.0. :)

The units look wonderful. :goodjob:

Looks good. :goodjob:
Is your fix for the birth messages only possible with the BUG mod? Otherwise I would be quite interested to modify my modcomp for the 'normal' BtS accordingly. Anyhow, I'm very curious about the BAT 3.0 now. :)

Looks good. :goodjob:
Is your fix for the birth messages only possible with the BUG mod? Otherwise I would be quite interested to modify my modcomp for the 'normal' BtS accordingly. Anyhow, I'm very curious about the BAT 3.0 now. :)
You can make the changes for it with only XML. I'm still testing for errors, but I can whip together the XML for the Great People and the CEOs pretty soon and upload it here. I'll post it in a couple of days. Btw, I've also tweaked the CEO Python unitBuild code. It was automatically building a Jewelry exec instead of a normal unit, right after any exec was built. My Cavalry were coming out as yummy looking Jewelry gals. :lol:

Unfortunately RoM does not use BAT so it looks like I will need to keep updating its version also.
RoM would be incompatible with BAT, and BAT uses it's own DLL. RoM can use BUG, and the female units can be loaded as a BUG module, or they can be used with SaibotLieh's code. As I mentioned above, the naming issue was only XML.

Top Bottom