The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #4 - Arabia

I tried this as my first immortal "clean" game (I did play some scenarios on immortal/deity but I did consider them as proper immortal/deity games).

I had a nice start, went tradition with 3 cities. I settled on the SW gold next to the mountains, and bought access to the oasis with money got from discovering CSs. The second city was next to the hill in the middle of the desert (NE of the capital), surrounded by flood plains, the 3rd was west of the capital, on the coast next to sheep. I managed to build NC at turn 91, a little slower than I wanted.

Had the luck of getting a culture ruin first so I did not build a monument. The build order in capital was scout, scout, shrine, worker, settler (at 4 population, I also got a population ruin), settler, (bought a granary), chariot archer, library, chariot archer, chariot archer, NC, Oracle . In the two other cities the intial order was granary, library, caravan in one, and chariot archer in the other.

After Philosophy I beelined Civil Service which was a mistake, I had to waste a SP because I finished tradition and was not in medieval in order to start commerce so I opened honor with the intention to win a domination although i did not want that particularly. I should have researched Theology first. After Civil Service I beelined Education. Send my first 2 caravans for food to capital.

DOWed the Zulu early to steal a worker, also stole a worker from a city state. With 4 chariot archers and a pikemen and the initial warrior, I captured and puppeted a forward settled Zulu city and made peace.

Eventually I became their friend because I DOWed the Assyrians on demand. I was determined for a domination so I beelined chivalry, then printing press (the AI beat my to renaissance era but I still managed to hard build Leaning Tower of Pisa). I was first in Industrial era (with Industrialization) and since then I did managed to get a tech lead at least in the lower part of the tech tree. I managed to get an absolute tech lead in early atomic era.

Conquered the capitals for the Assyrians and Persians but the Zulu were the one to finish them off.

After the DoF expired, DOWed the Zulu, resurrected both Assyria and Persia and wiped out the Zulu in early modern era.

At that point I made the decision to go for science victory since I needed more than my camel archers and artillery to start the overseas war, and I needed to tech for my military anyways. The fact that I went order instead of autocracy helped me with the science since I had lots of coal.

Religion wise I was 3rd to pantheon but still got Desert Folklore. I was second to religion. I got Tithe, Religious Community, Pagodas and Itinerant Preachers. I used my massive faith to get 4 Great Engineers(Branderburg Gate, Kremlin and 2 spaceship parts) and 3 Great Scientists.

I hard built 3 of my spaceship parts and rushed the last 3, and finished the game on turn 333. Quite slow, but I am satisfied as this was my first immortal game and I did change my direction a few times during the course of the game.

Arabia is a top-notch civ to play, I really enjoyed this game. My religion spread like wildfire (helped by UA) and I timed my approach to WL vote much better than previously. I even managed to persuade two AI to vote for me as WL.
Spoiler :
After dealing with the Impi king! My city growth is still slow.

I think I should try Liberty with a touch of Holy Warriors to try and sweep the continent with Camels before anyone finds out, then see how big of a snowball can I make in the second half.

edit:

Spoiler :

Not really any Horses around, so Tradition buildup it is and Camels invade from there. Or just not bother with going to war anyway

I really love camel archers!!

Spoiler :

Domination victory at T268, although think I could have completed faster if I'd been happy to launch a war on 2 fronts at once. I'd also fallen into my trap of neglecting my core home cities whilst fighting, therefore I was further behind on tech than I should have been and cities 2,3 and 4 are smaller than they should be.

Started with an early DoW against Shaka so I could worker steal and stayed in (almost) perpetual war with him. Went 4 city Tradition to start with. Picked up Petra around T75 and NC about turn 85. First to pick up a Pantheon and went DF obviously.

I had intended to pick off Shaka before he got Impi's but I was a bit too slow and when he offered a favourable peace deal I accepted and targeted Assyria instead to get my camel archers some experience. I then paid Shaka to go to war with Persia and stabbed him in the back as soon as his Impi's were all down at the south end of the continent :)

Persia followed soon after, although his second city on the coast proved a little bit more difficult given the hills getting in the way and blocking line of sight for my camel archers.

At this point I'd bee-lined for Astronomy and Navigation - firstly so that I could get observatory's up in two of my cities and secondly so I could start producing Frigates from my one coastal city of Baghdad.

The Frigates sailed soon after Persia had disappeared, soon followed by a fleet of camel archers all upgraded with Range and Logistics. Askia was the first to fall on the second continent. Babylon then found themselves defending against my attack from the North with Dido attacking from the South and then Dido realised that she'd helped to give me a path to her front door which she couldn't defend.

All this while Egypt had been growing Thebes into a mega city with massive borders - unfortunately when we landed, the entire Egyptian army was on the western edge of their landmass and was only just arriving to join in the fight as we took the capital.

Really fun map, will be interested to see how quickly I could win a science victory - if only I didn't have to worry about an aggressive Shaka on my border..........

Spoiler :
Since I was able to get Desert Folklore, I decided to for Holy Warriors which turned out to be a really wise decision due to early aggression from neighbors. I also decided to try out Just War, but I didn't use this ability much this game.

The plan was to go Liberty, sit on 3 cities, wait for chivalry then go all out with Camel Archers. However, after DoW'ng Chaka to steal a worker, he just didn't want to make peace. I had to make multiple CBs to contain him.

On T96, Assur which sat on 1 city still, but had the largest army at the time, DoW'd me. However they attacked on the worst angle possible between Mecca and Medina through rough terrain. I just fortified some Spearmen and plowed their troops with CBs, going from largest to smallest army in a dozen turns. I then took out Assur to find out the city had pitiful production.

Meanwhile, Shaka asked for a peace deal right in the middle of this war and took the opportunity to plant more cities. I knew the Impis would come soon enough. About 10 turns after wiping out Assyria, Shaka DoW'd with the largest world army consisting mainly of Impis. Thankfully, I had finished chivalry just before and was able to faith-buy at least 2 Camel Archers with more on the way. Fortifying my troops along the river, I was able to hold while my CBs and CAs did their job. I bent, held, pushed and crushed.

Persia spammed all the early game wonders. I was able to build Petra and then Oracle, but they beat me by two turns for Machu Picchu. Since they had Protection of the Goddess, but didn't found a religion, I converted their cities to mine. With the lowest amount of soldiers in the game, they were wiped out easily.

Meanwhile, Babylon approached by for a joint DoW on Dido. I accepted even before fully scouting the other continent. Starting by Carthage instead of Songhai slowed me a bit in my conquest of the 2nd continent because of a city near the continent choke point. I also had to coup Sidon to get a proper concave on Carthage without getting sandwich'd. Dido out, I bribed Askia to DoW Babylon. Took Babylon. Bought Vatican city. Took Gao. Bought Byblos. Took Thebes. I don't think I ever had so much money in a game, especially so early. So I used some of it for CS flanks. Also, Mercantilism + Big Ben + Mobilization = Rush buying heaven

Shaka and Dido were rendered the Coup de Grâce by CS. First time I've seen this and it happened twice in this game. I guess it helped me avoid a diplomatic hit.
My first 5K+ score on Immortal.

Civ5Screen0004.jpgCiv5Screen0005.jpgCiv5Screen0008.jpgCiv5Screen0014.jpgCiv5Screen0019.jpg

I think you may want to rename this series. Out of the six or so games I've played so far, the challenge seems to be:

Spoiler :
Surprise! You start right next to the Zulus!

Top Bottom