The Deity Challenge Line-up #41 - Shoshone

Honor opener is wasted because with so little room, the barbs didn't survive long. Free GG might allow a lux hookup but comes too early for CBs and too late if you go right-side first. The extra culture and happiness is OK, but the best way to smash this map is to cease caring about your empire completely once you've only got the 2 Eastern-most capitals remaining. The finisher and the upgrades help a bit too, but nowhere near as much as the Liberty tree.

Honor is best when you want super-crack troops that survive the whole game and earn a fortune in kills. Winning on T132 means they won't even have 4 promotions, most likely.

Well my 2 pathfinders (upgraded to composite bowmen via ruins) had range and/or logistics long before turn 130. Part of the success of that was getting military tradition early. Once you get to Logistics you can earn 6 exp per turn attacking units or even 8 exp per turn attacking cities. You'll get Range and even March very quickly from there.

I actually took the NW AI down before I had researched construction. I simply took the 2 free upgraded comp bowmen, a few archers and a couple of pathfinders supported by the Honor GG and blitzed through without taking any real losses - except maybe 1 pathfinder &/or 1 archer.
I think Honor is pretty comparable to Liberty on this map - Liberty will probably give you a bigger army due to a slightly higher productivity but Honor will give you a stronger army so it probably nearly balances out.
Thing is too the extra Great Generals really can come in handy if you need to build a citadel if you are having a war on multiple fronts. Hence I tend to think Honor is more reliable in emergencies.

The culture from barbs is ok - it probably works out a bit less than what you get from Liberty but ultimately it helps you get through Honor which is what it was intended for. I found plenty of barb camps across the map. They were useful for citystate quests and in some places would provide a steady stream of culture to a nearby city.

So personally I favor Honor but that might just be for this map. This is the Shoshone and the start site has a tonne of wheat so you get a much stronger start then you would normally (i.e. free social policies, free pantheon (Sun God), free population etc....). With all those bonuses I don't place much value on Republic because the capital is so good already I don't think it's that essential - especially with every tile being a plain and having cattle and horses everywhere.

I see your point on the National Wonders - I actually had the sense that I was wasting my time with them - It really is pointless unlocking Philosophy and iron working. The NC will certainly shave some turns off machinery but you'll probably waste more turns researching philosophy. So already with that T155 victory I made some bad decisions that slowed the victory down - so really I could probably get it closer to T120 if I tried again.

Thing is too in my turn 155 victory I actually walked across to the East first and then turned back and finished off the south west. Probably not ideal but I was worried about that civ in the SW corner becoming a runaway. So that's another element to this strategy that is confusing is which AIs do you prioritise on destroying first.

I don't prioritise according to civ but to their position and vulnerability. Also, you want to kill NW first because otherwise he will overrun you. Then SW before he gets UU. Then the rest in the order you come to them. Nothing too complicated. A more complicated choice would be in the very first DCL. I've played that map a bunch of times and still can't find the optimal order of strike.

I find it amazing how you lot managed to hit Machinery around the same time I did but managed to keep it relevant much longer than I did.

And let's not even talk about that absolutely insane T74 Machinery

2 original cities. Full Liberty and Honor.
Start: 3 pathfinders.
Ruins: countless population, 3 culture, pantheon and 3 uprgrades.
Conquest order:
Spoiler :
Attila, Poland, Polinesia, Arabia (by the time owning Venice), Russia and finally Bizantium.

Here is a picture of my original two cities on the winning turn:
Spoiler :
2016-03-05_00002.jpg

T204 Domination. My first deity and also domination win!

If anyone would be willing to look at my saves and point out my mistakes, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm an old-time Civ4 player who recently got into V in preparation for Civ VI.

Spoiler :
Replayed the early game several times. I think two original cities is better than three, since there's no spot for a third with a unique lux, and building a settler really slows down early growth in the capital which has 4 corns + sun god. Went Huns -> Poland -> Polynesia -> Venice -> Arabia -> Russia -> Byzantium. Lost two capitals after taking them which delayed the finish time considerably. Warsaw fell to a city state after I didn't leave enough units to defend, then was later retaken by Poland, Honolulu was captured by Catherine after I made peace with Polynesia while they were still at war with Russia.

Went Liberty to Commerce, not sure if Honor would've been better but I felt like Commerce was very useful, especially the finisher that allowed me to take Novigrad to set up a citadel for Constantinople. I was also too timid with my army and didn't DOW unless my units were perfectly set up.

Key was to bribe the AIs constantly as soon as their peace treaties ended to divert their troops.

Thanks, Acken, for answering my questions on youtube.

Attachments

• 20160726203325_1.jpg
    20160726203325_1.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20160726202349_1.jpg
    20160726202349_1.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160726202138_1.jpg
    20160726202138_1.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Pocatello_0066 BC-1360.Civ5Save
    798.3 KB · Views: 61