The Community Deity Game #5 - Indonesia

Tried again and benefited from SW civ DOWing N civ (and I got them to DOW NW civ as well), so they (SW civ) weren't as prepared for my attack this time. Cleared the continent on T98 with CBs, 2 warriors, 1 scout, and a horse (died); I used 2 GG citadel bombs on the final 2 cities, as it was getting close.

Good news is I didn't bother with Holy Warriors and was able to get Pagodas and Mosques. More good news is that I was the only one on my continent to found a religion, perhaps thanks to everyone being in an early war. Bad news is tech is quite bad, though I didn't bother with UU; might get Education ~T130.

Haven't met anyone else yet. I didn't get 'move your troops' warning and didn't DoF anyone, so diplo will be good; might go peaceful from this point on.

Edit: should add that I neglected city tiles a bit, using workers to help pillage/repair (did not build pyramids). Used Liberty GE for NC, as capital was busy building units.

Yeah I think I finished it. I'll scour my Time Machine and check for a save.

I was so caught up in finishing Piety and Exploration, while stockpiling faith (elected to just get the continent achievement, not the world one) that I forget I needed to finish Aesthetics to faith-purchase Great Musicians. So, now I get to find out how many Musicians 19,167+ faith will get me...

Why not just kill the rest of the world since you already have a huge army for clearing continent? Usually continental domination culture game is too slow for self generated musician based tourism for my games. Also killing civs make achievement C much easier since you can raze every non converted cities when you don't have the spare prophets.

Why not just kill the rest of the world since you already have a huge army for clearing continent? Usually continental domination culture game is too slow for self generated musician based tourism for my games. Also killing civs make achievement C much easier since you can raze every non converted cities when you don't have the spare prophets.

My army wasn't huge and I wasn't doing very well scientifically.
I agree that would have made achievement C easier (possible). I didn't try for all achievements on this one.

T330 Cultural Victory
Achievements ABDE

A - Clear the continent before T100 - 4 points
B - Spread a religion to every city on your continent - 4 points
C - Spread a religion to every city on the map - 5 points
D - Complete the Exploration tree - 4 points
E - Complete the Piety tree - 3 points

I was 5th to reform and Sacred Sites was the best option.
Built Louvre. Close miss on a late Oracle. Was far enough behind on tech, didn't even try for Sistine, Globe, or LToP. Caught up on tech and got Eiffel Tower.
Messed up timing on International Games; as I posted earlier, completely forgot I had to finish Aesthetics for GMs (faith bought 5). Also poor timing at the very end, but it's over T300 anyway.

Spoiler :

Failed taking out any civs before T100, in fact the SW civ went liberty, built 5 cities including 2 during the war which has to be taken first since they're in the way. I'm pretty sure this achievement is pretty RNG depending on which civ are willing to attack who. I couldn't get anyone else to join.

There is a way. Once again, the achievements were made after I played it quite a way. I managed this one very easily.

For those that are interested, I did it by
Spoiler :
moving my settler and finding something interesting

My 'problem' with this is...

Spoiler :
that if the starting Warrior doesn't find anything interesting on the turn 0 it would have to be one hell of an optimist not to settle on the spot or require some knowledge of the map prior to starting out of which the former may be true in some cases but the latter invalidates some aspects of the game - map knowledge before starting shouldn't be a requirement for completing any of the achievements.
I for one don't wanna know anything of the map apart from the type as it's usually told and I'd be fine without that, too.

@Grendel

Spoiler :
I had no map knowledge when I played it, and moved my warrior cuz the starting position is awful. I kept moving until I found something interesting. If others are not so inclined, then they play their game as is. As for whether the achievement is still doable, I'm sure someone will do it without the massive amount of faith I had.

As for how the achievements should be decided, why not roll a map for CDG #6 and make your own achievements? ;)

@Grendel

Spoiler :
I had no map knowledge when I played it, and moved my warrior cuz the starting position is awful. I kept moving until I found something interesting. If others are not so inclined, then they play their game as is. As for whether the achievement is still doable, I'm sure someone will do it without the massive amount of faith I had.

As for how the achievements should be decided, why not roll a map for CDG #6 and make your own achievements? ;)

Spoiler :
I was afraid of something like this - to me that start is above average :p and moving away requires more opportunism than I usually have while starting a game. As for the next CDG or not but I think I have a Washy map ready but I agree that coming up with suitable achis is tricky.

I have a map on standby which I haven't checked in detail, so hold on to it for the time being

I'll gladly hold my Washy map beyond CDG #6 as it'll be Dom again and I need few moments to clear the possible ice blockages etc and haven't thought through the achis yet - Blatc already kindly offered some ideas and more is welcomed.

I am slowly getting better at all this. Although it's turn 140 and I have only cleared 2/3 on my continent. And one after I met others so everyone hates me now. Lol. Blatc if you felt compelled to give some details on the early game, build/policy/army composition I would be grateful :).

Besides that anyone have tips on fighting earlier, I try to rush cb's but either I'm too slow or it seems to take to long to kill the cities. Regardless I'm having a blast. Great map!

I am not good at early game rushes, so didn't tried to reload after failing T100. Blatc is one of the better people at doing early game rushes due to reading some of his posts earlier. It makes sense to learn more from him if he has time to give some details.

Did you settle the faith mountain? I got zerg rushed when I tried that.
There are 3 faith mountains, which one? 2 of them are very close to CS borders and didn't make sense and it's better to steal with GG.

I usually don't post in threads about maps I don't like, but... what's the point of this map? You can't use your UA, and going for the achievement kind of ruins the purpose of UB. Why Indonesia?

I was not dragging things out on purpose, but I pretty much took as long as possible. :blush: My closest competitor only needed one more part and less than a dozen turns to get influence over me. Plus I would have had to vote against myself at the the next call for WL to avoid a Diplo VC.

This was pretty much my third try full try after losing twice quickly (so my fifth run), but the three full tries all had my three core Liberty cities as placed in the attached screen shot. I also had a forth city north, just off the screen shot, and three weak spice islands, plus whatever I conquered of course. (Those varied between the three games.)

First full game I lost by SV T331 to a neighbor I never could kill.

Second full game I killed all the neighbors, taking more time but being more methodical so the one neighbor could not get away from me. I did Internet before Rocketry and lost by CV T380 to one of faraway civs that I could not war fast enough against.

Third full game I used Oxford and Ratty finisher to get to Rocketry ASAP, rolled my continent, and started working on the other while teching towards Internet. Except for missing Great Firewall, that all went pretty well, and I never had to backstab or war against my partners in Order. I did bribe them to fight each other, and I took the two best cities from the cultural runaway that frustrated me in my second game.

I am pretty sure I could have gotten a cap-only oriented DomVC before T397, but I was more than happy to turtle and try for the designated cultural VC.

I somehow missed the objectives for filling out Piety and Exploration, so I didn’t try for those. I had twelve in order, so I guess I could have spread those out, had I been paying better attention.

My only achievement then was spreading my religion to every city on the starting continent. There was only one Holy City which I left uncovered until the last turn because I was using it to buff the UB throughout my empire. In the end, my religion was in 31 of 56 cities, but no points for that.

There are 3 faith mountains, which one? 2 of them are very close to CS borders and didn't make sense and it's better to steal with GG.
For OWN, you need them within your borders, and you can't afford to wait on GG. One can probably found using the salt for Earth Mother, but ONW is OP with just one faith mountain. I got both the available ones early and a third NW late game (and did use a GG for that one). There are actually four faith mountains on the map.

You can't use your UA, and going for the achievement kind of ruins the purpose of UB.
There are islands enough for the UA, but only two that are just okay enough on their own. But you can also claim a modest spot on the other continent. Its okay, but not as good for Indonesia as the other NQ Mod maps we have had recently. I would not have bothered with any of them, except for the UA lux pair.

I agree that, because of the UB, the achievement should have permitted keeping captured Holy Cities unconverted, but you can keep them around until the very end if you like.

Attachments

• civ5ss-cdg04-t397cv.jpg
    civ5ss-cdg04-t397cv.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 246
I usually don't post in threads about maps I don't like

This, sir, is flatly untrue.

what's the point of this map? You can't use your UA, and going for the achievement kind of ruins the purpose of UB. Why Indonesia?

It was never my intention to make everything completely synergetic. I'd prefer a situation where people choose between the achievements. The weight of opinion seems to be against me, and in any case, I'm no longer host. But people like you, whose sole contribution to a thread is to whine, are one of the reasons why people are reluctant to host, I would say.

How about you cough up a map and a set of dazzlingly-fantastic achievements to go with it?

Top Bottom