Civilization V: Tips & Tricks #1 - Caravan's Secret Trick

If you'll forgive me for wearing my hat as a psychologist, perhaps I might make two comments.

First is that when you walk into a room it is a good idea to look around and see who is there before you do anything else. Walking into a room full of university mathematics professors and saying loudly "Do you realise that one and one make two?" will get some odd looks.

Second is that presentation is (almost) everything. If you flag up what you are about to say with words like "this tip is for less experienced players" or something of the sort you will help everybody. The new players will be attracted to it (which is good) and the more experienced players will save time by not bothering to read it. When Consentient put out his very comprehensive guide to Domination he put "for noobs" in the title of the thread. It couldn't be clearer.

You seem to be a very enthusiastic lad, which is good, but perhaps in your enthusiasm you have rather "oversold" your "merchandise". Adverts that promise more than they deliver are never very popular.

Another point from the psychologist -- beware the False Consensus Effect!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect

It catches us all!

I hope this does not come across as critical. I think tips for newer players are very valuable -- I even tried to collect some myself in an earlier thread (with some success, I hope).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=543490&highlight=quick+tips (And look at the third tip in post number 5.)

But presenting them as for less knowledgeable players would be a good idea. Then everyone knows who they are aimed at.

Best of luck.

If you'll forgive me for wearing my hat as a psychologist, perhaps I might make two comments.

First is that when you walk into a room it is a good idea to look around and see who is there before you do anything else. Walking into a room full of university mathematics professors and saying loudly "Do you realise that one and one make two?" will get some odd looks.

Second is that presentation is (almost) everything. If you flag up what you are about to say with words like "this tip is for less experienced players" or something of the sort you will help everybody. The new players will be attracted to it (which is good) and the more experienced players will save time by not bothering to read it. When Consentient put out his very comprehensive guide to Domination he put "for noobs" in the title of the thread. It couldn't be clearer.

You seem to be a very enthusiastic lad, which is good, but perhaps in your enthusiasm you have rather "oversold" your "merchandise". Adverts that promise more than they deliver are never very popular.

Another point from the psychologist -- beware the False Consensus Effect!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect

It catches us all!

I hope this does not come across as critical. I think tips for newer players are very valuable -- I even tried to collect some myself in an earlier thread (with some success, I hope).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=543490&highlight=quick+tips (And look at the third tip in post number 5.)

But presenting them as for less knowledgeable players would be a good idea. Then everyone knows who they are aimed at.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated. In future, any posts I make like this will contain info informing potential viewers that it's for less experienced players.

My intention was truly just to educate those who didn't know about it
I think this is the point that's not sitting well with most of the forum members. Continually insisting that the intention was to educate when it seems blatantly obvious that the goal was to increase views and likes on your Youtube channel. If it wasn't so, you'd list more than, "call this 1-900 number to change your financial life forever" on the forum post so we'd be able to assess whether or not visiting the other site was pertinent to us. But by continually insisting that the intention was to educate, it makes you look like the adolescent with melted chocolate on his fingers and cookie crumbs on his lips who swears he only went to the kitchen for a glass of water.

Also, let me give you an example of when not to post. I figured out a TR trick a few years back that many people didn't know about and probably still don't. If you have cities on either side of a large continent and send a cargo ship to a city in the middle of the other continent, one will go west and one will go east. This triggers the circumnavigation notice, "player1 has circumnavigated the globe." This would be quite handy in civ4, where the first to circumnavigate gets an extra MP for all naval units, but there is no bonus in Civ5 other than being recognized in a pop-up notice between turns. As such, it may have been a neat trick, and I think before reading this post many veterans didn't know about it, but as there's no bonus provided or reason to do it, I never bothered to post it. If the "trick" doesn't provide any advantages, as mine did, or it's something both well known and obvious, like yours, there's no reason to post.

I think the problem with this is that it was posted in the S&T forum. People writing here (and most likely people reading this forum) know a lot of tips&tricks and hidden facts (if not all of them), so it's not really the target audience. Maybe general discussions would have been a better forum to post it, since new players mostly go there first. This can also be posted in steam, as it will have a greater reach towards new players.

Anyway, I hope your series will pick off, i think you need to post tips that are not so obvious, or hidden, like the fact that Entrepreneurship gives + 1 movement to embarked units, or that the Greece UA will let your military trespass in city state territory without losing any influence. There are a lot of things not so obvious about civ 5, and it will be useful to have a tips&tricks section.

Wow, quit a lot of reactions.

Yes i know the mechanics quite well. I just wanted to say that for me, it is simply not logical. As for not knowing this, clearly some people did not. No, it is not surprising that gold is not subtracted from the host city, but in the case of food and production, it is. I mean you want to do this 90 percent of the time once you figure this out, since gold is not as useful as production and food.

I do have to agree on the title of the video. The fact that not everybody knows about it does not make it a secret. You could choose your video titles better.

I think the problem with this is that it was posted in the S&T forum. People writing here (and most likely people reading this forum) know a lot of tips&tricks and hidden facts (if not all of them), so it's not really the target audience. Maybe general discussions would have been a better forum to post it, since new players mostly go there first. This can also be posted in steam, as it will have a greater reach towards new players.

Anyway, I hope your series will pick off, i think you need to post tips that are not so obvious, or hidden, like the fact that Entrepreneurship gives + 1 movement to embarked units, or that the Greece UA will let your military trespass in city state territory without losing any influence. There are a lot of things not so obvious about civ 5, and it will be useful to have a tips&tricks section.

Hah, one of those ideas you've mentioned I'm already in the process of making a video of :D

Thanks for the advice buddy; got another video up, this time about Deity Cheese Starts, to cheese an easy Deity victory. Hope the community likes it :p

Top Bottom