[SCENARIO] Feudal Japan - Sengoku-Jidai

Warlord Sam,

The problem with that is that Civ4 doesn't support transport of food. So yes, whoever held the east could trade away the health benefit, but cities in other regions couldn't get the raw food, which is more how it worked. Instead, whoever held the east would have a few huge (but probably low-production) cities, with way more food than they could provide happiness for.

Interesting :goodjob:

I might try this one when I have time.

Wei-Yan said:
Hmmm you say you wanted Buddhism to be founded in kyoto Id put it Nara where the great Budda resides.

There are lots of statues of the Buddha in Nara, but the Great Bhudda (Dai Buttsu) resides in Kamakura.

For those who may be interested, who played the old Shogun: Total War PC game here is a link to the map I pieced together from the STW single-player Campaign. I used it for several of the multiplayer campaigns I hosted during the hey day of that game. I am not very good at graphics, but it served its purposes for the campaign.

http://imcintosh.com/ugly/albums/UGLI-art/STWCampJPG.jpg

PS: If the picture is not large enough to read at first, it can be enlarged to where it is easily read by clicking on the picture.

Hi just finished the scenario by conquest. I played as the Hojo and by taking the east I was quite easily able to outnumber the other factions' forces. They were too divided to stop me from taking the east and so I was pretty much able to take it at my leisure. Used the Oracle to rush to samurai which gave me an early edge. All in all good fun. Thanks for making this great map!

edit:

On the issue of religion, both Buddhism and Shinto could be considered contenders, but truthfully I don't think it matters much as Shinto and Buddhism were so closely intertwined in the medieval period that there wasn't much of a distinction drawn between them, Shinto shrines often being on the grounds of Buddhist temples. Therefore I think it makes good sense to use Buddhism as the primary religion. Confucianism didn't really gain any kind of privileged status until after the Tokugawa came to power so I don't think there's much need to put that in there either. Just some thoughts on the matter.

I gave it a chance, and found very interesting. I loved that idea of "Mystery Island". I´d like to conquer it. :p

Hey, I noticed that the downloads on the front page have been updated, so I just wanted to pop in. Thanks a lot for all of the comments and compliments, I really appreciate it, and I'm glad people have been downloading it and giving it a try.

I'm still poking at the other aspects of modding when I get the time, but I'll likely be very busy with school in the near future, so I don't expect to come out with any updates soon. Ideally, when I have the .XML and whatever better figured out I can attack it again and make a lot of changes at once . . . so stay tuned in the coming months.

Keep ideas and suggestions coming, I'm still developing some myself to try and take it to the next level.
Pegasos said:
I gave it a chance, and found very interesting. I loved that idea of "Mystery Island". I´d like to conquer it. :p
Watch out, there's a lion guarding it!:p

UglyElmo: that's a great map from S:TW, it took me a lot of searching to try and find one off of a strategy site. I like how this is the actual map, and you can see the rice and metal deposits which I tried to emulate with rice, iron and copper in the appropriate places.

Hmm, although Buddhism and Shinto existed in harmony, I don't see them as the same thing at all. Certainly, as both doctrines were widely accepted, so in many ways they syncretized. In some cases this could be exemplified by Boddhisatvas becoming Shinto dieties or something similar. However, Shinto and Buddhism dealt with fairly exclusive realms. Shinto was the religion of life, if one will. It was how one behaved in the environment so to speak. Buddhism on the other hand seemed to mold so well in Japan because it filled the role of dealing with death. Ideas of reincarnation, etc., and rituals of death were relegated to that realm.

Mind you this is a dreadful oversimplification, but it's like, oh...3:04 here. Been up doing stat....and now back at it :(

Andrew_Jay said:
-Some new buildings, more Japanese themed buildings for example, taking some ideas from the Civ III scenario. One idea I had was for more buildings that add XP to your troops - just like you could constantly improve them in S:TW.

Let me know what you think, and any ideas/suggestions you might have. Also feel free to try out any changes/additions you think might be good.

Really glad to see someone doing this. It was my favorite one in Civ3.

If you want a building that adds exp to units you can use my "training barracks" mod. It replaces the 4 exp that the old barracks gave with a (low) chance of getting 1 exp every turn until you reach a user-defined cap.

Also, You can add my wonder "The sacred Tori Gate..." (see sig.) as well as Duel's Shinto mod to the game.

Roger Bacon

7ronin said:
There are lots of statues of the Buddha in Nara, but the Great Bhudda (Dai Buttsu) resides in Kamakura.
damm these english translations are tricky.....

I don't want to get into some esoteric debate on Japanese religion, and basically I agree with what you are saying. My point however was that because the religious environment in Japan was so syncretic, there is really no need to have both religions in the map since they were not at odds with each other and inter-religious conflict did not figure prominently in this period. Therefore in the extremely oversimplified representation of the religious environment that can be represented in the Civ 4 and engine and for the gaming purposes of this map it doesn't seem to me that it matters a great deal whether Shinto is shown or not.

Cheers

WiegrafFolles said:
I don't want to get into some esoteric debate on Japanese religion, and basically I agree with what you are saying. My point however was that because the religious environment in Japan was so syncretic, there is really no need to have both religions in the map since they were not at odds with each other and inter-religious conflict did not figure prominently in this period. Therefore in the extremely oversimplified representation of the religious environment that can be represented in the Civ 4 and engine and for the gaming purposes of this map it doesn't seem to me that it matters a great deal whether Shinto is shown or not.

Cheers
Yeah hes right there Shinto belivers are tolarent towad other religions same goes to buddhists

The disagreement between christianity and buddism was a big deal during sengoku judai, i think it might be good to add that back in, and make the civics have HUGE penalties for non-state religion

That's right Bulldog - I think the most worthwhile religious conflict would be between Christianity and Budhism.

Another long-term idea would be to put in events where a Portugese Caraval shows up one of your ports from time to time, giving you the chance to choose whether or not to spread Christianity there (of course, if you make it your state religion, you could also spread it yourself with missionaries).

Andrew_Jay said:
That's right Bulldog - I think the most worthwhile religious conflict would be between Christianity and Budhism.

Another long-term idea would be to put in events where a Portugese Caraval shows up one of your ports from time to time, giving you the chance to choose whether or not to spread Christianity there (of course, if you make it your state religion, you could also spread it yourself with missionaries).
that would be very interesting indeed........

Hi folks, this is my first post here (ever)!

I have downloaded the japan map and loved it. I have made a few minimal changes to it, that is, I've included the full name of every available clan as in Shogun Total War: Usuegi Kenshin, Imagawa Yoshimoto, Oda Nobuhide, Mori Motonari, Shimazu Takahisa, Takeda Nobutora and Hojo Ujitsuna.

I also thought it would be a good idea to have TWO religions in the game: Buddism and Christianity, since this is how we get things in Shogun: Total War. Therefore I changed Takeda, Oda and Shimazu's state religion to Christianity and put Christianity in their cities to.

I set Imagawa at war with oda and Takeda at war with Usuegui.

These changes are very minimal but I found them fun enough. If you wish I can upload the file, although you could add these changes yourselves with a text editor in less than five minutes.

I have other ideas, but I don't quite now how to mod in Civ IV. I'd like to change the characteristics of the leaders so as to create a few differences between the clans, such as oda agressive and expansionist, mori spiritual and expansionist, usuegui financial and whatever and so on.

Another nice idea would be to have a pool of leaders to select from for each clan. The takeda might select between takeda nobutora or takeda shingen, the oda might choose between oda nobuhilde and oda nobunaga and so forth.

your opinions/ideas?

All these changes plus new leaderheads (maybe just crests or something) and possibly some scripted events would be great! I'm afraid I don't know much about the leaders from the era though so I don't know what kind of traits would be appropriate for them...

WiegrafFolles said:
I'm afraid I don't know much about the leaders from the era though so I don't know what kind of traits would be appropriate for them...

Neither do I, I'd like to discuss THAT with you people.
I think oda should definitely be agressive and expansionist
the mori I think spiritual and expansionist fits well too.
The usuegui were the clan who made most money in shogun: total war, so I guess it would make sense giving them the financial trait... What else? What traits should we give to each leader?

Moreover, can we do that in the World Editor or must we make a separate scenario and deal with the XML? We could put together a group of people to follow up on this excellent map and make a complete sengoku jidai scenario, it's just a simple matter of agreeing on the changes to be made and exchanging emails with attachments :)

Another idea I had, all the .mp3 songs from shogun total war are freely available on the CA site. Perhaps we might use THAT in the mod so that it gets even more atmosphere ;-)

Although I don't have much time, I know that there are descriptions of many of the Sengoku daimyo on Wikipedia. Even if it's not perfectly historically accurate I think it's better than nothing. For example here is Uesugi Kenshin's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uesugi_Kenshin

Anyhow, maybe some of the research on there would be helpful.

Top Bottom