Since no one likes Steam, what type of DRM would you prefer?

Which DRM do you prefer?

• Steam

Votes: 124 55.1%
  • Disk Check

Votes: 83 36.9%
  • SecuROM

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Draconian Ubisoftesque DRM

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • 1 computer, single installation

Votes: 9 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most companies don't like Disk Checks because of .iso files.

Steam is like the Macintosh of the gaming world.

[cautious asking] Is Apple bashing now allowed after Apple is bigger than Microsoft? Or are there are still the fanatic defenders outside and Apple is still a holy cow :confused: [/cautious asking]

arstal said:
GOO in that case

you wanted to say, goo in the least intrusive version, or? Did you read this paper already.

GOO Streaming (page 6) sound a bit :mischief: - i think i wouldn´t like it too.

Who voted for Draconian Ubisoftesque DRM?

Steam is fine. I don't know why there is such a resistance. It is a small unintrusive app that stores all your game files and records on a server so you can play your own games at home, at work, at mom's, or at a friends. You don't even lose any game with system wipes or re-installs. AND you don't need to worry about putting a disk in your drive. You can always see and show your scores and achievements. It's a dream come true for MP and it doesn't really do much to hurt single players.

Well except pirates. They will find a way anyway though.

There also hasn't been a single reason why Steam is bad listed here. Other than the knee-jerk "DRM IS BAD MMMM'Kay" argument. Steam is one of the best DRMs I have seen yet because instead of hurting the paying customer, it provides benefits to the paying customer.

Also WHO voted for draconian DRM? Hahaha

I want to change my vote for draconian Ubisoft DRM too.

Steam is fine. I don't know why there is such a resistance.

Resistance literally is futile for Steam. :assimilate: There is literally no way around it. Steam will eventually assimilate you, even if you don't want it to. Your friends will be assimilated, your family, even your dog.

In the end, we will all end up like this: :borg: And we will take orders from the Steam Collective.

Want to know how to get revenge against Steam? Every time you make a fat joke about Gabe, Episode 3 is delayed another month. This is now the jokes about Gabe thread.

Edit: Is the img tag broken or something? My picture won't display!

Steam is fine. I don't know why there is such a resistance. It is a small unintrusive app that stores all your game files and records on a server so you can play your own games at home, at work, at mom's, or at a friends. You don't even lose any game with system wipes or re-installs. AND you don't need to worry about putting a disk in your drive.

Oh, the EFFORT! I can't believe I have to PUT A DISK IN MY DRIVE. Next thing you know someone will insist l have to get out of this chair if I want to go to the bathroom.

I for one have not seen one "DRM is bad MMMkay" post here. Instead I have seen the same old tired "but come on you can talk to your friends ONLINE" drivel from the people who just insist that everyone loves this "product." The same things that some of us will have no use for no matter how many times we're told we do.

There's the issue of course. Steam does lots of things that some people want. I'm glad it's an option for them. I don't think anybody wants no one to have Steam. Many people just don't want to deal with it.

I really like my audio editing software and my photoenhancement stuff. I have no plans to insist that YOU like it, and as far as I am concerned you shouldn't have to put it on your PC if you don't want it. Of course, the people who made my camera have not (yet) signed a deal with the makers of Civ that puts their programs on your computer whether you want them there or not.

I prefer Disk Checks by far. All you have to do is put the CD in the computer. I really don't get why there isn't a version with Steam and a version without like in Civ IV.

Hive mind- Why is it so bad that Steam is running in the background when you launch the game? Were you saving that 15mb of RAM for something else?

Well, if we don't use Steam, who will handle the Anti-cheat, Multiplayer, Achievements, Friends Lists, DRM, Patch Distrubution, Cloud Saves, et cetera?
Which of these applies to single players and cannot - for instance, by forums like this one here - be substituted?

Because gamespy is a terrible, terrible system. Not to mention all the other social features that steam provides (You may not need/want them, but others do, and they help drive sales). The entire free aspect of steam is also pretty attractive when compared to having to develop/implement your own system.

As we have seem in the thread about Australia's prices, Steam is anything but not "free".

Additionally, I couldn't care less about Steam's "social features". :lol:

My friends are talking to me, having barbecues with me and even share a beer or two with me. (Ok, the latter may not apply to each and everybody, based on your age and location...)

Hive mind- Why is it so bad that Steam is running in the background when you launch the game? Were you saving that 15mb of RAM for something else?

Yes I was saving it for something else! :lol:

@Bello: If SSS is the Steam Sunshine Squad, does that mean everyone else (including myself) is an Anti Steam Squad? (I won't be using those initials though!)

Which of these applies to single players and cannot - for instance, by forums like this one here - be substituted?

As we have seem in the thread about Australia's prices, Steam is anything but not "free".

Additionally, I couldn't care less about Steam's "social features". :lol:

My friends are talking to me, having barbecues with me and even share a beer or two with me. (Ok, the latter may not apply to each and everybody, based on your age and location...)
Now that's pretty silly. The prices issue has nothing to do with steam (The prices are set by 2K), and I don't see how that's even relevant. Also, your lack of caring about the features doesn't make them pointless. The game isn't being tailored for you, sorry.

I think the notion that 2K would put in a simple disk check is naive at best. Based on their history with DRM, the alternative *would* be securom or some obnoxious online activation system.

@Bello: If SSS is the Steam Sunshine Squad, does that mean everyone else (including myself) is an Anti Steam Squad? (I won't be using those initials though!)

RU? (Responsible users) :)

Apart from this, I don't object if somebody likes Steam.
For MP gamers, it seems to be a viable option.
For persons without friends, even the so-called "friends lists" may be a substitute.

All fine. To each his own (of however this term goes in English)

But "JC and his gang" already failed to make this world a remarkably better place 2000 years ago and I severely doubt that it is going to happen right now via Steam - for sure not for SP gamers, and for sure not with Steam's current terms of "service".

It's simple as this: Steam is more secure than disc check. Just like people got used to a $10 raise in console prices you all will get used to Steam. You will bicker and complain about it now but you are given the ultimatum to either get used to it or don't buy.

I don't know why people even bash Steam considering all the stuff Apple/ Microsoft put on your computer you don't need... (Yay for those who use Linux)

Steam is just a simple DRM which isn't as annoying as Securom and not as annoying as Ubisoft's. Also, at least this DRM has more uses then just authentication! Like someone said, it stores saved games and allows you to restore the game on your pc at will; thus, saving you space and time.

Now that's pretty silly. The prices issue has nothing to do with steam (The prices are set by 2K), and I don't see how that's even relevant. Also, your lack of caring about the features doesn't make them pointless. The game isn't being tailored for you, sorry.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9312076&postcount=93

The markup is in question or do you say that 2k also controls the markup of steam and any other online distributor?

--------------------------------
It's simple as this: Steam is more secure than disc check. Just like people got used to a $10 raise in console prices you all will get used to Steam. You will bicker and complain about it now but you are given the ultimatum to either get used to it or don't buy.

please provide a prove - the figures i found considering MW2 wouldn´t at least strongly question your claim

Steam is just a simple DRM which isn't as annoying as Securom and not as annoying as Ubisoft's. Also, at least this DRM has more uses then just authentication! Like someone said, it stores saved games and allows you to restore the game on your pc at will; thus, saving you space and time.

It´s your personal view about the DRM´s - not the general truth, so let me counter with a quote from another poster in another context:
"The game isn't being tailored for you, sorry."

Top Bottom