Anybody Else Worried About Purchasing Civ5 On Release?

Are You Going to Wait to Purchase Civilization 5?

• I already pre-ordered it.

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • I am going to buy it as soon as it comes out.

Votes: 62 26.4%
  • I am going to wait a little after it comes out to gather information.

Votes: 55 23.4%
  • I am going to wait until an expansion or DLC combo package comes out to buy it.

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • I am not going to purchase Civilization 5.

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • I am not yet sure if I will be purchasing Civilization 5.

Votes: 29 12.3%

• Total voters
Does anyone know...
If I preorder from D2D, do they take my money immediately (like Steam) or wait until release date (like e.g. Amazon)???

" I was simply confirming that the D2D Deluxe Edition comes with Babylon plus two additional civs."

Remember guys, it promises the premium DLC, but it doesn't "come" with it on release. You will get it when it is released, which D2D says is listed with a release date of late 2010.

who missed out the "I definitely will pre-order it" option, like my brother I will wait till a couple weeks before release to pre-order, I like to keep my money available incase I don't know, I'm offered a great deal i.e only £100 for 2 magic beans that will feed you forever... (with beans), and then I look at my bank account and realise that I only have £50 because I spent £50 pre-ording Civ5.
So I will wait till its neccessary to pre-order. :D

I plan on preordering...while I'm appalled at the whole marketing/release fiasco they created, the game itself will be very good I'm sure. However, I will be waiting until there's a clearer picture of what's what in each preorder offer.

With all of the packages and different offers through different companies i can safely say that I have pushed myself back from a preorder and pick up on day 1 to waiting for sometime later when there is clarity in the various packages. All of this is leaving a bad taste in my mouth for what should be an excellent product that I would otherwise pick up as soon as I am allowed to.

Count me among the disappointed. Though there are still plenty of Civ4 mods to continue playing and supporting.

Don't worry too much about this exclusivity mess, EA and Bioware did the same thing before releasing Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect and that didn't prevent them from selling boatloads after boatloads of games.

I'm somewhere between:

I am going to wait a little after it comes out to gather information.
and
I am going to wait until an expansion or DLC combo package comes out to buy it.

It depends on what the info I initially gather says. If they tell me straight-up if Babylon will be available as DLC or not, then I will get civ 5 but I won't buy DLC until I'm satisfied that the xpacs (if there will be xpacs) won't duplicate it.

If they don't tell me straight-up about Babylon, I will wait until I'm satisfied that Babylon isn't going to be an option without buying deluxe (this will most likely be after the first xpac. Ideally the second xpac, really, but I doubt I'd hold out that long).

I do not believe that's true. Different retailers are offering different bonuses, and the Steam store listing does not make any mention of the 2 extra civs at this time, so I wouldn't expect it.

Now you are confusing me.
You are the community manager for Civilization, aren't you? And you don't know???? :eek:

I mean, what the heck is going on there?

Greg, will there be any earthly means to get clarifications about these and the other questions, or is it still a "take a breath, have a cup of tea and stay tuned"-thing?

If I knew what was happening with the DLC, it could change my position enormously.

You are the community manager for Civilization, aren't you? And you don't know???? :eek:

Greg, will there be any earthly means to get clarifications about these and the other questions, or is it still a "take a breath, have a cup of tea and stay tuned"-thing?

He's the community manager (also the website guy, I think) why would he know the specific details of the DLC?

I'm glad that he's going and inquiring about it from people that do know.

Greg is basically the fall guy for 2K, some idiot they got on the cheap to take our abuse. Heisn;t a high up member of hte marketing team CC'd into every little bit of information.

Greg is basically the fall guy for 2K, some idiot they got on the cheap to take our abuse. Heisn;t a high up member of hte marketing team CC'd into every little bit of information.

Pardon? The guy is able to play civ 5 now. Idiot like a fox!

As community manager he should be the one point of contact for messages coming and going to and of the community.
Therefore, I would assume that he should have been at least informed about some deals with major distributors. At least in my company that would have been the case.

Obviously 2k is handling things differently - the result can be observed at the very moment.

If there was no community manager, you would blame 2k for not being transparent enough. But since there is one, you can blame them for planting a scapegoat and/or propagandist.

Moderator Action: *snip* we have no tolerance for flaming here.

So, buying the deluxe edition through Steam would give me fewer Civs than buying the standard edition through D2D?
<confused>

Greg, you guys at 2K need to get working on clarifying this stuff pronto.

I think it's pretty clear in the product descriptions on each of the stores. A Steam preorder comes with exactly what is listed in the Steam store, and the D2D preorder comes with exactly what's listed in the D2D store.

The confusion, if I am understanding correctly, arises from people assuming that the listings are incorrect and must come with other things not mentioned, but that is not the case.

If you guys let me know what is confusing, I'd be happy to clarify!

If there was no community manager, you would blame 2k for not being transparent enough. But since there is one, you can blame them for planting a scapegoat and/or propagandist.

Maybe you are the <snip>?

Well, shouldn't the company enable him to do his job, then?

At the moment he is worth nothing in that position (just to make this clear: I am blaming 2k for this, not him personally. I for sure wouldn't have much fun being confronted with a ton of reasonable questions and either not being allowed or not being enabled to answer them)

"I wouldn't expect" was a turn of phrase. I was saying that you should not expect a particular store to come with a particular bonus unless it's listed on the product page at that store.

I think it's pretty clear in the product descriptions on each of the stores. A Steam preorder comes with exactly what is listed in the Steam store, and the D2D preorder comes with exactly what's listed in the D2D store.

The confusion, if I am understanding correctly, arises from people assuming that the listings are incorrect and must come with other things not mentioned, but that is not the case.

If you guys let me know what is confusing, I'd be happy to clarify!

Just one thing, Greg, which I addressed in that other thread.

What exactly are the Cradle of Civilization map packs? I know we have Asia and Mesopotamia so far, with probably some more lined up that correspond with the historical cradle of civilization regions. But what are these? Simple custom-made maps in the shape of those areas in the world? If so, how many maps per map pack?

Thanks.

EDIT: I think it's important to know the details about these since they seem to be the unique retailer-specific incentives. Steam's got one, Amazon's got one, I'm sure Gamestop will announce one as well. It's difficult to make an informed decision without knowing what they are.

Maybe you are the idiot?

Well, shouldn't the company enable him to do his job, then?

At the moment he is worth nothing in that position (just to make this clear: I am blaming 2k for this, not him personally. I for sure wouldn't have much fun being confronted with a ton of reasonable questions and either not being allowed or not being enabled to answer them)

Exactly this: Greg should be given the info, not having to trawl for it. That is 2Ks' fault, not Gregs'. As it is, I already blame 2K for not being transparent enough, and I think a fair few posters do...

Top Bottom