Featurette 1 Analysis and Discussion thread.

What about the Industrial? Do you trade on railroads faster?

There's no such thing as "speed" of the trade, you get extra gold every turn.

BTW, for those curious, some of that footage is indeed quite old. You can see placeholder art for Broadway, for example. That also explains the differences between the Zulu logos.

Is it just me or did it seem like he was speed reading the script?
They probably only prepared the short collection of shots they wanted and found that his reading overextended it. Rather than stalling on shots they just sped up his voice and autotuned it back down.
Nottingham building East India Company at 0:42?
That would be great. I really liked that wonder in all its iterations. They would have to change Netherland's ability, but they seem to have done that already with France so I don't see an issue.
I want to say tobacco, but that would surely be a luxury, and it wouldn't fit with the Zulu as the new super special resource civ (I forget if Zulus second thing has been revealed yet).

I'm guessing these two things aren't actually related, but why does the ESRB rating mention drug references? Might the new resource be something that the WC could place a ban on?
Prepare for the firestorm if they add tobacco into the game. I think it will be something more tame, but perhaps not. I guess it would give them some defense if you can ban luxuries now.
The Drug Reference has been there since vanilla and it refers to the Opium Wars for the Civlopedia entry for China.
Nowhere near the same, and you should realize that.
It is missing the cow hide pattern isn't it?
I think that's antelope or bongo hide. More accurate than cow hid since they didn't have as many cows as wildebeasts, antelope, and bongos.
Other than tourism-bomb abilities (such as the Great Musician's for example) I believe the tourism spread is passive - i.e. it spreads to all civs at the same time and you cannot actively "adjust sliders" or something like that.

Your tourism's dominance in other civs is, however, different because of other factors that affect tourism spread, including Open Borders and how strong their culture is. But the starting tourism pressure of your civ is the same for all other civs.
I wonder how they will address the issue of isolationist or reclusive nations: The Soviets behind the wall, North Korea, Iran, etc. Do they take a tourism hit or is it simply a penalty because they weren't dedicated towards it and therefore not getting the same amount of artists?

Nowhere near the same, and you should realize that.

I think you missed the context:

Someone said the ESRB mentions drug references and suggested that this is a clue to a new luxury resource.
However, it turns out to not be the case because the ESRB has always mentioned drug references because of the Civilopedia entry that mentions the Opium Wars.
Therefore, it's not a clue.

That's all that was said by that comment. Just thought you should realize that.

I think it's highly likely the Civil War scenario at least will feature tobacco as a resource, which presumably will be mentioned in the ESRB rating.

But yes, it's always been there.

Prepare for the firestorm if they add tobacco into the game. I think it will be something more tame, but perhaps not.

Like the firestorm that surrounded Tobacco being in Civ III? And Colonization, where you could not only sell it, but turn it into Cigars and sell those? And Civilization IV: Colonization, where you could do the same thing, and which had the same ESRB rating Civ V already has? Seriously, Tobacco would not be the big deal so many people are trying to make it out to be. There's precedent for it, and it was fine.

In that time since those games many US cities and states have banned smoking in many social contexts (workplaces, restaurants, etc). When there is smoking in a movie, it is noted on the rating info. Smoking and tobacco use are slowly becoming taboo. Not having a hullabaloo about tobacco a decade ago doesn't mean there won't be one now.

In that time since those games many US cities and states have banned smoking in many social contexts (workplaces, restaurants, etc). When there is smoking in a movie, it is noted on the rating info. Smoking and tobacco use are slowly becoming taboo. Not having a hullabaloo about tobacco a decade ago doesn't mean there won't be one now.

Marijuana seems to be less taboo, at least politically

It's noted on the rating info for Civ IV: Col as well, which is only five years old. It explicitly says Tobacco Reference and Alcohol Reference (for the Rum), and its ESRB rating is no higher than Civ V already has. I don't say no one anywhere would complain. I say that I don't think there would be any noticeably large outcry, such that one would describe it as a "firestorm", and I don't think it would change the rating.

Marijuana seems to be less taboo, at least politically

Politically, yes. There is definitely movement towards decriminalizing it. It doesn't seem to be getting any more socially acceptable to smoke dope in public though. People are just tired of seeing lives ruined by being branded as a criminal over a minor illicit substance.

I think its pretty clear that National Visitor's Center will be a national wonder. Probably you need hotel in your cities to build this.

So the logic being that there will be a firestorm around having Tobacco as a luxury resource but allowing you to simulate the subjugation, discrimination and (in some cases) genocide of African people in the Scramble for Africa will not cause any moral debate?

On the topic of the new resource. Rice was in Civ IV, could they be bringing it back?

So the logic being that there will be a firestorm around having Tobacco as a luxury resource but allowing you to simulate the subjugation, discrimination and (in some cases) genocide of African people in the Scramble for Africa will not cause any moral debate?

Who are we to set the moral priorities of the media and general public?

So the Dutch have a new UA as the EIC is apparently a (national) wonder.
There's a new mystery resource. And it's tied into a civ.

One would almost think hemp would make it in as a resource, tied to a new Dutch UA :p

The more I see of the new mechanics, the more I think that most - if not all - of the preexistent civilizations are going to have their uniques altered in at least a small way. From what we know so far, there's going to need to be x amount of rebalancing, and that is probably going to need y rebalanced to compensate for x and z to smooth it all over. I'm hoping we'll be in for some surprising new takes on our favourites.

The more I see of the new mechanics, the more I think that most - if not all - of the preexistent civilizations are going to have their uniques altered in at least a small way. From what we know so far, there's going to need to be x amount of rebalancing, and that is probably going to need y rebalanced to compensate for x and z to smooth it all over. I'm hoping we'll be in for some surprising new takes on our favourites.

Didn't they say that they actually want to keep such alterations to the minimum?

So the Dutch have a new UA as the EIC is apparently a (national) wonder.

Not necessarily. All this suggests is a rename (if that). It's on par with "Trade Caravans" being the Arab UA.

Personally I don't see the problem. It's not like the context isn't clear, and the UA name itself matters not a jot.

Top Bottom