City States Update

Why Kyzyl? No offense to people who live there but a) its not very significant and b) its part of Russia.

There are still unrepresented actual city-states as well as capitals of actual countries without needing to choose cities from implemented civs. I'm not even totally against including cities from included civs, but if they do I'd rather it be someplace like Lübeck which was an independent city-state for several centuries and extremely significant, than a place like Kyzyl.

One of the first things I'll be modding out.

I really don't know anything about it either. I just know at the 2K forums there were suggestions about it for a long time, but I think it was more like Sealand humor, not ever meant to be taken seriously

I think I asked earlier but didn't see a response. Does someone have a suggestion of a better Tuvan city?

I think I asked earlier but didn't see a response. Does someone have a suggestion of a better Tuvan city?

That's the thing, I don't really see a Tuvan city deserving representation over a lot of other still unrepresented city-states or civilization capitals. On top of that, it was part of China, then Mongolia, then China again, then Russia all of which are already in the game.

I suspect that it is on the roster simply because its name sounds exotic to English-speakers.

No, it is the largest city with a population of 100.000 for a population of 300.000 (Turkic) Tuvans. But there are better choices for a Turkic city-state from the same area which has a longer and much richer history. Urumqi for example would represent a much larger population group and fits better to the theme of the expansion pack as it was located on the silk road. But I believe the Kyzyl city-state was spotted on the Taiwanese version. Lhasa was also not included in the Chinese version because it is controversial. Urumqi would not be included in a Chinese version for the same reason, so there is hope...

Genoa is still in, and Kiev is a cultured city-state. Source is from the Dutch walk-through video.

That's the thing, I don't really see a Tuvan city deserving representation over a lot of other still unrepresented city-states or civilization capitals. On top of that, it was part of China, then Mongolia, then China again, then Russia all of which are already in the game.

No, it is the largest city with a population of 100.000 for a population of 300.000 (Turkic) Tuvans. But there are better choices for a Turkic city-state from the same area which has a longer and much richer history. Urumqi for example would represent a much larger population group and fits better to the theme of the expansion pack as it was located on the silk road. But I believe the Kyzyl city-state was spotted on the Taiwanese version. Lhasa was also not included in the Chinese version because it is controversial. Urumqi would not be included in a Chinese version for the same reason, so there is hope...

Well, I think the biggest reason is because it preserves the music so I wouldn't have to replace that. Presumably the music is Tuvan so it would have an overlap. If it's something applicable to other Turkic cultures, that would be fine too. Although city size isn't my biggest objection. My concern really is that it's such a modern city. So it's both modern and unimportant. If there was a more ancestral Tuvan city, it would be preferable.

I wouldn't get your hopes up with the Taiwanese version making a difference. For starters, if it's a Taiwanese version, the concerns of the People's Republic of China wouldn't apply. Second off, does anyone actually know if Lhasa was changed previously or simply removed?

Because they were spotted in a video.

I figured with the focus on the modern era, we'd get some new religious city states, such as Salt Lake City and Clearwater.

Menzies got a little hasty and added it to the wrong part of the OP. He has done it before and I'm sure he will fix it.

Well, I think the biggest reason is because it preserves the music so I wouldn't have to replace that. Presumably the music is Tuvan so it would have an overlap. If it's something applicable to other Turkic cultures, that would be fine too. Although city size isn't my biggest objection. My concern really is that it's such a modern city. So it's both modern and unimportant. If there was a more ancestral Tuvan city, it would be preferable.

I wouldn't get your hopes up with the Taiwanese version making a difference. For starters, if it's a Taiwanese version, the concerns of the People's Republic of China wouldn't apply. Second off, does anyone actually know if Lhasa was changed previously or simply removed?
I know that the concerns of PR China are not of Taiwans, and besides PR China sees Taiwan still as it's own territory. I assumed they would get the same version because most of each nations population are speaking Mandarin.
About Lhasa I just read somewhere on these forums that it was excluded from the chinese version because of the controversion. And someone mentioned that Kathmandu was a religious city-state in this Chinese version, maybe replacing Lhasa.
As for the music part, I don't know if it would be applicable for the Uyghurs from Urumqi. But the culture and thus the music of the Tuvans will definitly have something in common with the neigbouring also Turkic Uyghurs.

This isn't evidence, because the source is more tha unreliable, however, it is something to think about and see if it makes sense

Bratislava (Culture) - Confirmed
Brussels (Culture) - Confirmed
Buenos Aires (Culture) - Confirmed
Kabul (Culture) - Confirmed
Kuala Lampur (Culture) - Confirmed
Kyzyl (Culture) - Confirmed
Milan (Culture) - Confirmed
Monaco (Culture) - Confirmed
Prague (Culture) - Confirmed
Yerevan (Culture) - Confirmed

Cape Town (Maritime) - Confirmed
Havana (Maritime)
Manila (Maritime)
Mombasa (Maritime)
Panama City (Maritime) - Confirmed
Quebec City (Maritime) - Confirmed
Ragusa (Maritime) - Confirmed
Riga (Maritime) - Confirmed
Sydney (Maritime) - Confirmed
Ur (Maritime) - Confirmed

Almaty (Military)
Belgrade (Military) - Confirmed
Budapest (Military)
Hanoi (Military) - Confirmed
Kiev (Military) - Confirmed
M'banza-Kongo (Military) - Confirmed
Sidon (Military) - Confirmed
Sofia (Military) - Confirmed
Valletta (Military) - Confirmed

Antwerp (Mercentile) - Confirmed
Cahokia (Mercentile) - Confirmed
Colombo (Mercentile)
Hong Kong (Mercentile) - Confirmed
Ormus (Mercentile) - Confirmed, but we don't know the type
Samarkand (Mercentile) - Confirmed
Singapore (Mercentile) - Confirmed
Tyre (Mercentile)
Zanzibar (Mercentile) - Confirmed
Zurich (Mercentile)

Bucharest (Religious)
- Confirmed, also, it has a change in colour (which would make sense if it was moved to another category).
Geneva (Religious) - Confirmed
Jerusalem (Religious) - Confirmed
Kathamandu (Religious) - Confirmed
La Venta (Religious) - Confirmed
Lhasa (Religious) - Confirmed
Vatian City (Religious) - Confirmed
Wittenberg (Religious) - Confirmed
Yangon (Religious)

These are the City States "supposedly" to be in the game.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ApprenticeFan/Sandbox/Civilization_V

Colombo and Tyre are confirmed (dutch video). I'm pretty sure I saw Almaty somewhere as well.

This isn't evidence, because the source is more tha unreliable, however, it is something to think about and see if it makes sense

Sorry , misunderstood your comment... Never mind...

Top Bottom