error: can't find a file

Veilon

Chieftain
I have a french Civilization 3 version that was working perfectly (and that is still). I've downloaded from download.com a trial of Conquest. I've installed it and it worked. But, when I'm starting any kind of game, it can't load it. On the screen, it's written can't find art/units/.../settler.ini and ''game will exit'' or something like that. I've checked in my civ3 directories and there are no such things as settler.ini. Well, if somebody could help me, it would be appreciated.

I would imagine that you have a french version of civ3 and an english version of conquests.

The only way that I think you can get it to work is to make english-language copies of all the units etc in your french-language version. A ridiculous amount of hassle! Can you get a french version of conquests?

I've got the same probleme (french civ3 gold). Could you explain what to do exactly? (what files should I copy, where to find them etc...)

Thx

What ainwood is saying is go to your /art/units folder, and rename all the files in your native language (French) to english (and they need to be precise!) You'd probably need to do this for some other files as well (leaderheads, resources, etc).

That, however, is nearly impossible. You are better off trying to find a [trial / full] copy of Conquests in French, not English. That would fix this problem a lot quicker.

I am sure the problem is the download trial version. The full Conquests CD can be installed in any of several languages (including French). My suggestion would be to simply buy the CD, if you think you would like it. (And if you like Civ3/PTW/Gold, you will almost certainly love Conquests! ;) )

I have the same problem as Veilon. My CDs were bought in a single package, in English. I tried out a few mods in PTW, and each and every time, the game would run for a couple of turns but as soon as I meet another player, the grey window of death would appear announcing, "LOAD ERROR File Not Found Art\Flics\... .flc" It's been different files missing, and it always happens at the first moment of meeting another Civ.

With all due respect, I don't think it's necessarily any language incompatability, or even using a Demo... I'm very skeptical that your suggestion to rename files into another language will work... Sigh. I think it's just a problem of PTW being buggy.

NoOz said:
I've got the same probleme (french civ3 gold). Could you explain what to do exactly? (what files should I copy, where to find them etc...)

Thx
Take a look to this tool: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=1589585&postcount=15. It copy/pastes all french folder so you can play all english and french mods. It works fine. ;)

@FinnMcCool: There are many reasons for the "file-not-found-problem":
1st - language problem (i.e. unit "settler" is called "Siedler" in german civ3)
2nd - mistakes/errors of the mod-makers
3rd - known patch problems (swordsmanfortify .wav with our without space)
4th - missed ptw-extra-units in c3c
5th - ... some more reasons (???)

Top Bottom