Revolution: with BarbarianCiv, Rebellion, AIAutoPlay

Caesium said:
First, this mod itself should become stable and really functional with the next releases, before someone tries to add some other modcomps...
Just to update those who are wondering what's going on, I'm currently chasing some bugs in my SDK code that would allow new civs to be spawned onto existing teams. While I'm not sure what I might use it for, it's related to the the issue first pointed out by Twisted_Styxx here that you can't form PAs with the new barb civs.

After that's squared away, and a little bit of testing of new features, things should be ready to go. If you want a bit of a teaser, check out some of the new features for BarbarianCiv and Rebellion:

Spoiler :
Barbarian civs that settle alone now have a chance of becoming Vikings. They are given a couple boats, and if they encounter a civ in less than ~20 turns of plowing the seas, they will attack!

Also, the Rebellion code is now much more fun. When a city is unhappy, it has a chance of rebelling. Unhappiness can be compounded by cultural/religious differences, being very far from your capital, your civics, unhealthy conditions. Very uncontent cities will spawn large rebellions. Currently, the rebels are spawned as Barbarians and given units that can be built in the town. If the rebels capture the town, the BarbarianCiv code quickly turns them into a new civ!

I also agree with Caesium, and will get these features working well before adding too much complexity! That being said, I have been watching the Cultural Influences mod and find it both interesting and potentially synergistic.

Bonci said:
Where have I to put the revolution sources???
Nowhere, they are not necessary for the mod to function. They're provided incase someone wanted to merge this mod with another SDK mod or check out the changes I made to the SDK. If neither of those apply, you can just leave them zipped up ... enjoy!

I don't know whi but it doesn't work!!!:confused:
When I start a new game all the civs are alive and i've never seen a revolution....

PS:Sorry for my english..:crazyeye:

Bonci said:
I don't know whi but it doesn't work!!!:confused:
When I start a new game all the civs are alive and i've never seen a revolution....

PS:Sorry for my english..:crazyeye:
If you check out the first post, the only rise and fall style piece that's currently working in v 0.2 is BarbarianCiv, where barb cities can become a full civ. This, however, requires space for the barb to form cities! So, if you're playing on a full map, you might not see it.

The next version, (0.3) will be out in the next 24 hours, with a whole crapload of improvements. In this new version, there will be rebellion and revolution pieces you can try out (they're still in testing for balance, but work).

jdog5000 said:
If you check out the first post, the only rise and fall style piece that's currently working in v 0.2 is BarbarianCiv, where barb cities can become a full civ. This, however, requires space for the barb to form cities! So, if you're playing on a full map, you might not see it.

The next version, (0.3) will be out in the next 24 hours, with a whole crapload of improvements. In this new version, there will be rebellion and revolution pieces you can try out (they're still in testing for balance, but work).
Will there be also the CivII fragment with splitting nations after capturing the capital?

Twisted_Stixx said:
...Ok it's been 24 hours where is it???:)
Oh ....you still have an hour
Sorry, thought I'd be done last night ... it will be out shortly after I get home this afternoon (a couple things to check, a little documentation to write ...). Next time I'll definitely do a smaller update (and therefore faster) ...

EDIT: So I guess I should have written 36 hours ...

Caesium said:
Will there be also the CivII fragment with splitting nations after capturing the capital?
Enjoy ... ;)
Civ4ScreenShot0002small.JPG

As noted on the front page, this component (Revolution) is disabled by default. You can enable it if you choose.

The new civ only gets the old civs units that are in one of the cities it takes over. The two brother civs start with open borders. If anyone has a screenshot of the old school popup for empire splitting, I'll copy the text for old thyme's sake.

Thorn said:
Great work! I can't wait to try it out.
What happens if there are no more slots available and a rebellion takes place?

My guess would be that it checks to make sure that there ARE slots available before a revolution will occur... but that's just my guess.

Not a bug report, but an amusing anecdote for everyone but me. I was playing just now and a rather nasty group of Barbarians came upon my capital city which was only defended by a warrior. They rolled right over the warrior and then promptly set up the Spanish empire in MY capital! :lol:

Sounds like the history of many an early empire...

Thorn said:
Great work! I can't wait to try it out.
What happens if there are no more slots available and a rebellion takes place?
When a rebellion occurs, the game first looks for another rebellion to join. If a civ is at war with the owner of the rebellious city and has not been alive for very long, the new rebels will join their ranks. Next it looks in the rebellious city for culture from a dead player. So, if you conquer the Mongols, but then their old cities become unhappy, the Mongols will rise up against you.

If there is no sensible existing slot for the rebels to join, the game first looks for a slot containing a failed rebellion, ie a player who was alive but never managed to own a city. Overwriting these slots helps keep the slots from filling up so fast. If a rebellion does capture a city, but is then killed, it will not be overwritten by future rebels, but can reincarnate if the city becomes unhappy again.

Only when none of these conditions are met is a new slot allocated to the rebellion. To finally answer your question, if there are no slots, the game currently spawns Barbarian rebels.

Barbarian rebels are an unguided missile. Since they are at war with everyone, rebels spawning for one civ, may instead attack a neighboring city from another civ. As they are barbarians, they are also less dangerous since the AI (and under many settings, the human player) get combat bonuses against barbs.

Dom Pedro II said:
Not a bug report, but an amusing anecdote for everyone but me. I was playing just now and a rather nasty group of Barbarians came upon my capital city which was only defended by a warrior. They rolled right over the warrior and then promptly set up the Spanish empire in MY capital! :lol:

Sounds like the history of many an early empire...
Losing large, cultured cities to the Barbarians is now an instant recipe for a new civ spawning ... Fortunately, the new civ will have no friends (probably won't know anyone but you) so you can immeadiately declare war and try to get your city back. That being said, they will have their ranks bolstered when they "settle down", so they won't be pushovers ... in fact, it's entirely possible that they will declare war on you immeadiately!

By the way, what civ where you playing?

jdog5000 said:
Losing large, cultured cities to the Barbarians is now an instant recipe for a new civ spawning

That's a very good idea I think. I had thought it was just a coincidence.

... Fortunately, the new civ will have no friends (probably won't know anyone but you) so you can immeadiately declare war and try to get your city back.

I went back in time and beefed up the defenses :)

That being said, they will have their ranks bolstered when they "settle down", so they won't be pushovers ... in fact, it's entirely possible that they will declare war on you immeadiately!

I should've tested it longer just to see what would've happened, but I was pretty pissed at that moment :) Not that it formed a new civ, but just that I lost the city at all.

By the way, what civ where you playing?

Americans

jdog5000 said:
When a rebellion occurs, the game first looks for another rebellion to join. If a civ is at war with the owner of the rebellious city and has not been alive for very long, the new rebels will join their ranks. Next it looks in the rebellious city for culture from a dead player. So, if you conquer the Mongols, but then their old cities become unhappy, the Mongols will rise up against you.

If there is no sensible existing slot for the rebels to join, the game first looks for a slot containing a failed rebellion, ie a player who was alive but never managed to own a city. Overwriting these slots helps keep the slots from filling up so fast. If a rebellion does capture a city, but is then killed, it will not be overwritten by future rebels, but can reincarnate if the city becomes unhappy again.

Only when none of these conditions are met is a new slot allocated to the rebellion. To finally answer your question, if there are no slots, the game currently spawns Barbarian rebels.

Barbarian rebels are an unguided missile. Since they are at war with everyone, rebels spawning for one civ, may instead attack a neighboring city from another civ. As they are barbarians, they are also less dangerous since the AI (and under many settings, the human player) get combat bonuses against barbs.

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds even better than I thought. I'm off to start a game with this mod now! :D

Before I forget... I know this isn't really part of your overall goal, but it's something that's irked me for quite a bit and you seem to be the "barbarian" guy now ;)

And I would like to have it to prevent what happened today from happening in the future: could you find a way to make it so that you can pay off barbarians? In Civ2, if barbarians stumbled upon an undefended city or managed to beat a city's defenders, immediately before capturing the city, the barbarian leader would give you a chance to pay a hefty ransom to spare the city. If you paid it, the city was spared and the barbarian unit(s) disappeared... if you didn't, well, you can guess what happened. Of course, if you don't have the money it would take, you probably shouldn't be prompted at all, but if you do, I would like it if I had the option to pay them to go away.

If clearing the invading barbarians off the map seems too powerful, maybe just relocating them to the nearest barbarian settlement or failing that to an unexposed bit of map so that they may yet again return to extract some cash out of you.

Top Bottom