Dune Wars: Revival

[modmod] DuneWars Revival 1.10 (Windows Installer)

so yay dune wars. Installed a fresh copy of civ bts from steam. downloaded the 1.00 exe. run it as admin. but sadly he doesnt see my civ install. even if I point it manually to my civ bts folder the Next> button keeps greyed out. Im that special snowflake with only that problem?

Alternatively, I've made a 1.0.1 version with some cosmetic changes that has a different installer - download here. I found some an issue with the 1.0.0 installer, in the shortcuts links were not working properly. Hope you don't mind Mr. M!

El_Cid said:
You redid a bunch of graphics too, resources etc? Or maybe that was an update to base Dune Wars i never got? Anyway it looks really nice, loving the ambience, thank you very much for the obvious hard work that went into it

Thanks, I did update a few of the bonus resources: Spice Honey (now with little bees!), Sword Grass, Sand Verbena, Creosote Bush. I've spent quite a bit of time on new art in the last couple of months so I'm glad you appreciate it!

I'm not sure if you know the meaning of the word team, Deliverator.

Apologies, I didn't mean to step on your toes. This is your modmod after all, and I have given all credit to you. I was just trying to help promote your work to a wider audience. Will leave releases to you in the future.

The minor differences in the 1.0.1 version are:
- improved Richese Mirror graphic
- removed restriction on entering desert tiles before Exploration/Stillsuits for Carryall Worker as that didn't make much sense thematically.
- Updated pedia text so that there is no longer any "Stub text" - using reworked strategy text in most cases which is an improvement I think.
- Added a bit of text to the Botanical Testing Station popup to say "You explore the abandoned station." to give some context.
- Removed fidget animation from Acolyte and Truthsayer.

I've attached the NSIS install script I used.

Attachments

• dune-wars-revival-1.0.1.nsi.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 129
This is not necessarily about steping in anyone's toes. The mod has the work of too many people (including the BUG team, Better AI, Revolution...). This is about simple communication: I told you before that you could upload the mod, then the moment comes you don't answer. Then later you said that you would like to upload v1.01 and I explained that I wanted to upload a new version only after more significant changes: it is too soon, more things will come up. And two weeks later you did it anyway, without a single PM saying anything. That's not right where I live.

I've finish my first game with richesse house and had some feedback :
- overrall interesting,
- mirrors seem little overpowered, other improvement seem useless in comparision (don't see the effect of "industrial town" because I have win with nearly mirror everywhere lol )
- could be possible to give to the homeworld units the nano promotion when it become available ? I found weird they can't acquire it which reduce their interest.
- the nano promotion concept is interesting, but many of the promotions seems not decisive : crystal often useless because units are to weak to strike many times, diamond make duplication with "march" which is available to mech (but the more usefull anyway), ore never used because carryal never fly alone, and don't use stradivium and uranimum promo because I win the game far before :/
Because this house is a late game power, maybe some late nano promo can gain to be inverted with early one and give richesse a little more vigour in early times.

Have you made some antagonism for leaders of richesse vs ix ? I don't see if there is some diplomatic malus between them but it could be fun and make more difficult to obtain the ultimate combo of ixian mecha with richesse promo.

Juste little thing I forgot : I always wonder if it be possible to make siege unit gain experience from city bombardment ? It seem fair and without that it's difficult to make them progress.

This is not necessarily about steping in anyone's toes. The mod has the work of too many people (including the BUG team, Better AI, Revolution...). This is about simple communication: I told you before that you could upload the mod, then the moment comes you don't answer. Then later you said that you would like to upload v1.01 and I explained that I wanted to upload a new version only after more significant changes: it is too soon, more things will come up. And two weeks later you did it anyway, without a single PM saying anything. That's not right where I live.

I had a unexpectedly busy week after my break so I sorry I didn't get back sooner, and I'm sorry that I didn't communicate properly - it was wrong as you say.

I have make more testing of nanoslot promotions. First question, why nanoslot can't be acquire by siege units ? The double line building make think they are part of mechanical production as well.

Ore : ok, the only real interest is the +1 cargo. Because it's limited to carryal which usually don't gain many XP, maybe it could be automatically give to all carryal which have the nanoslot ? Or maybe make two promotions, and give the +20% defense without cargo bonus to any other unit type than carryal ? or maybe a double sided promotion with more defense bonus but reduction of attack power (or speed) which make the choice a dilemma ?

Crystal : could be used but usually less interesting than ordinary promotions. Maybe with addition of "reduce movement cost" could be more usefull ? or little withdraw or something else rely to mobility ?

Diamond : ok, no change needed but make duplication with march for mechs. but could be a must have for siege units if they can have nanoslot. (Don't really know what is the relation between diamond and healing abality, though)

Nitrate : I found actually a little collateral damage is less usefull than a better ordinary promotion with +20 strenght against something. Maybe nitrate could be improved with just addition of +10 strenght ?

Stravidium : the far worst promotion. Why the hell should we choose to give only +10 attack city strenght to units which usually are don't fit for this usage while we can give them +10 attack strengh against everything with a standart combat promotion ? stravidium could be more interesting by giving some kind of good defensive bonus. There is no real usage of defensive promotion for know in the game and richese seem not be a violent battle seeker.

Uranium : ok, maybe a little too powerful in regard of atreide ducal guard for exemple, which can have only 6 and to more limited unit type. But the real problem with this promotion is it can be used so late that the game is usually over before we can. I think it can be better to give this to nitrate (and reduce to only 8 max unit) and replace the current uranium effect by something else really powerfull and nearly not used : the target weakest promotion. It could make uranium slot dreadfull and justify the fact we acquire it so late. And of course also need to be in limited number.

All of thing just personnal thought to a wonderfull idea :)

Ok, LeBashar, I'll take some suggestions into consideration but I'm not planning to get back to it any time soon. Weird things happen in this forum. Thanks anyway.

Ok, LeBashar, I'll take some suggestions into consideration but I'm not planning to get back to it any time soon. Weird things happen in this forum. Thanks anyway.

Sorry to hear this. :(

JosEPh

First of all: Yay, the forum is back up! Hopefully less troubles for it in the future.

Second, I want to mention that I found this mod on ModDB, where it's near the top of the list for Civ4 mods, or was on the day I looked. Guess not too many modders post there, but - as we all now know - CivFanatics is not invincible, so having mods listed on other sites is a good idea. Never would have seen it, otherwise...And I'm very glad I did. This modmod is AWESOME!!!! So glad to see it being worked on actively.

I cannot praise you enough for doing this.

Third: I'm testing out the Richesse, and I wholeheartedly endorse LeBashar's comments on the nanotech. It's way too underpowered. Some considerations: it's later game than, say, Fremen bonuses or Atreides, because of the resource costs, plus many of the relevant promotable units themselves are generally later technology - so that's a small negative; it requires a landing stage that I could be using to import mentat juice or Sligs, it requires resources I may or may not have access to on TOP of the nanotech... etcetera. Long story short, for a house 'advantage', nanotech has many structural challenges for a player to overcome. Which means its benefits should be strong to compensate - and, well, they are not. On the whole, they are *less* useful than other house-specific or offworld import-specific promotions.

For all the opportunity costs associated with getting nanotech, I expect better unit promotions - or I won't even bother importing it.

That said, house balancing plays a role: the Richesse have a really solid advantage with the 'no building sickness' and sharing city production. Then again, they have a hidden disadvantage - no slavery! No sacking your population for early production bonuses... that really should be in the civilization's description in the start menu and in the 'Pedia. It caught me by surprise, but it makes sense.

I don't agree with LeBashar that the mirrors are overpowered; they just get hammers a few techs earlier... they don't get more of them. They do get one more gold though, which is nice. I found myself fairly evenly distributing cottages and mirrors, based on terrain and my civ's economic needs, so well done there.

I would even go so far as to say industrial towns are underpowered, since by the point in the game where you have enough time put into them to be towns, you often would rather have the gold income (I sit right on top of the Personal Property civic as soon as I get it...) My recommendation: add that hammer earlier.

I highly recommend making towns and villages trade a coin for a hammer.

Strenuously recommend it.

Jumping-up-and-down and waving my hands shouting like a loon, over here, is me recommending you make those villages hammer-wielders just like their townie descendents are.

Just tell me if I'm not being expressive enough on this opinion. I can do more.

For nanotech, like LeBashar I recommend:
Crystal: Needs help. I suggest it bumps up its bennies with either: adds +1 move; or halves move costs; plus its current benefits. More move when victoriously attacking is nice in theory, but in practice it rarely comes into usefulness. It needs a lot more to be value-added; especially since nanotech has such high opportunity cost.

Diamond: Heal while moving? Almost good enough, for what it is. Maybe add a small bump, a +5% heal rate, as a counterweight to the nanotech opportunity costs. If you did, I'd prioritize this promotion, maybe make it the 2nd or 3rd promotion for fighter/scout units; Otherwise, as it is right now I'd probably put this promotion late on my list of upgrades - or 4th or 5th - if at all. It's much more useful for my scouts, than for my Stacks Of Doom- those I can usually sit down when I need them to heal, it's better they be able to take on city defenders in the first place, which means they're getting other strength boosters or heal bonuses. Do my doomstacks want diamond shinies? Nope, they don't. Which is a shame. I want my expensive nanotech upgrades to be more attractive than that; they should be the ones doomstacks go for *first*, not *last*.

Nitrate: Its current bonus is an embarrassment. Give it the Uranium bonuses instead. Simple.

Stravidium: Weird suggestion. Give it a reduction in attack strength of 10 or 20% (maybe because that stravidium stuff is heavy! Who knows!) with a massive general-purpose defense increase of +50 or so - or split it, 15% homeguard (within borders) defense, 5% city defense, and a 30% general-purpose defense (because it's really heavy!!)... it's the polar opposite of a Zeal promotion. It makes all those suspensors/thopters/etc. far more useful as scouts (who risk surprise ambush, and play defense a lot), and allows this house's mechs to be relevant in city defense, but you wouldn't want to use those same units to attack anything unless you absolutely had to.

Uranium: Target weakest, brilliant suggestion from LeBashar. To make it really tasty, you could add that small collateral damage to it; so with a Uranium promotion, the attacker goes after the softest target AND hurts all those hard targets along the way. I'd say that's fairly in keeping with the general idea of nukes anyway, you know? Moreso than a +1 strength. And it's totally appropriate for an endgame promotion - I would actually work hard to get access to it. I call it the Terrorist nanotech.

Long post short, it's your baby so you do what you want with it. I'm already enjoying your modmod enough to be tangled in the minutiae, which is all the endorsement it needs. My 'needs fixed' list is less of a 'need' thing and more of a 'nerd' thing, in all probability. So, you do you. Fix what you think needs it.

But, if you do decide to keep working on it... ya know, just in case.. then House Richesse, in my humble yet oddly overexpressive opinion, needs some love.

You seem stressed out in the last few of your posts. I really hope you don't let events get you down. Frankly, every project in all of human history had something or other go wrong, unexpectedly, or unpleasantly, and usually it was several somethings all in a bunch. It's those folks who keep going anyway that make real contributions to the world. So don't let it get to you, mate.

I'm trying to make little change in mercenary promotion but nothing work, maybe someone know how this work ? I wanted to remove the "homeworld" promotion given to fremen recruted from south sietch and replace by "desert1" for melee, and "sandrider" for guardman, which seem more logical to me (north fremen also are on their homeworld).

So I have edited the file "mercenaryUutils.py" and make this :
Code:
if iCivType == CivilizationTypes.ORDOS_CIV:
                        iMercCombatType = pUnit.getUnitCombatType()
                        if iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.VEHICLE_COMBAT:
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(PromotionTypes.PROMOTION_ORDOS_VEHICLE, True)
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(PromotionTypes.PROMOTION_MERCENARY, False)
                        elif iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.MECH_COMBAT:
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(PromotionTypes.PROMOTION_IXIAN, True)
                elif iCivType == CivilizationTypes.ECAZ_CIV:
                        iMercType = pUnit.getUnitType()
                        if iMercType == UnitTypes.UNIT_GLADIATOR:
                elif iCivType == CivilizationTypes.FREMEN_CIV:
                        if iMercType == UnitTypes.UNIT_HEAVY_TROOPER:
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(PromotionTypes.PROMOTION_SANDRIDER, True)

And it don't work, but if I delete the line with sandrider promotion the mercenary's one is actually delete and the game work fine, and if a replace the sandrider promotion by "ordos_vehicle" it work also fine which make my think there is information somewhere about what is valid or not, but I don't manage to find something in any other file :confused:

I wanted also make richese unit's gain the nanoslot promotion when the tech is acquired but I don't even try until the simple thing which fremen still don't work.

Is there someone can tell me what's wrong ?

Python is highly whitespace sensitive. Are you sure you are not mixing spaces with tabs and getting stuff that doesn't line up the way it should? The text you have pasted shows two elif's which are too far left (actually the rest of the code appears too far right). This is a common first time mistake when using python. This is also the reason I don't like python as a language.

You're trying to make something work just by copying and changing a few things. That method could work out, I guess, but I misled you, heheheh. (cough,cough) Anyway, "PromotionTypes." can be used for the homeworld promotion but not for the sandrider promo. Why? Because I didn't have a pratical reason... Meh. (actually the sandrider promo is also enumerated, I just didn't exposed it to python, but anyway...).
I'm not really going to explain it, suffice to say that if you use "gc.getInfoTypeForString" it will work.
So use this:
Code:
pUnit.setHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString("PROMOTION_SANDRIDER"), True)
and there you go. Simple. Always use that and you'll be fine.

BTW, you do know that Guardsmen units are not meant to get the desert promo, right? Its not even that useful to them...

Thank both of you, I will try this.

@davidlallen : I was already aware of this because of the same thing in another game modding and have make really carefull to that. But because the code work if I use only the same promo than ordos, I have knowed it isn't a problem of increment.

@Mr.m : can you tell me how the whole thing function ? I have understand there is information about promotions, civ or else to tell the programm which doing but don't found them anywhere ?

For this modification my idea it juste to replace "homeworld" promotion by "desert1" for fremen sudist melee, and "homeworld" by "sandrider" for sudists guardmen. This one could be found slight too powerfull but the not so many recrutement from southern sietch so I think it should be ok.

edit : it work fine with
Code:
# !M! -> Unique Ecaz and Ordos mercs; promo settings
                iCivType = player.getCivilizationType()
                if iCivType == CivilizationTypes.ORDOS_CIV:
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(PromotionTypes.PROMOTION_ORDOS_VEHICLE, True)
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(PromotionTypes.PROMOTION_IXIAN, True)
                elif iCivType == CivilizationTypes.ECAZ_CIV:
                        if iMercType == UnitTypes.UNIT_GLADIATOR:
                elif iCivType == CivilizationTypes.FREMEN_CIV:
                        if iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.MELEE_COMBAT:
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString("PROMOTION_DESERT1"), True)
                        elif iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.GUARDSMAN_COMBAT:
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString("PROMOTION_SANDRIDER"), True)
                elif iCivType == CivilizationTypes.RICHESE_CIV:
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString("PROMOTION_NANOTECH"), True)
                        elif iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.THOPTER_COMBAT:
                        elif iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.SUSPENSOR_COMBAT:

thanks

@Mr.m : can you tell me how the whole thing function ? I have understand there is information about promotions, civ or else to tell the programm which doing but don't found them anywhere ?

Just use gc.getInfoTypeForString, don't worry about it. The other method is related to my own particular way of modding.

edit : it work fine with

Of course. BTW, for the richese, instead of elif just use or:
Code:
              elif iCivType == CivilizationTypes.RICHESE_CIV:
                        if iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.VEHICLE_COMBAT or \
                           iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.THOPTER_COMBAT or \
                           iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.SUSPENSOR_COMBAT or \
                           iMercCombatType == UnitCombatTypes.MECH_COMBAT:
                                pUnit.setHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString("PROMOTION_NANOTECH"), True);

First question, why nanoslot can't be acquire by siege units ?

Maybe they can.

Ore : ok, the only real interest is the +1 cargo. Because it's limited to carryal which usually don't gain many XP, maybe it could be automatically give to all carryal which have the nanoslot ? Or maybe make two promotions, and give the +20% defense without cargo bonus to any other unit type than carryal ? or maybe a double sided promotion with more defense bonus but reduction of attack power (or speed) which make the choice a dilemma ?

I like the promo as it is. It is useful.

Crystal : could be used but usually less interesting than ordinary promotions. Maybe with addition of "reduce movement cost" could be more usefull ? or little withdraw or something else rely to mobility ?

You are basically saying that "blitz" is not useful. I don't agree. In fact, it is a game changing promo if you're ahead in tech. I may add a first strike.

Diamond : ok, no change needed but make duplication with march for mechs. but could be a must have for siege units if they can have nanoslot. (Don't really know what is the relation between diamond and healing abality, though)

The richese only have one mech, so I forgot about the duplication. Anyway, easy fix.

Nitrate : I found actually a little collateral damage is less usefull than a better ordinary promotion with +20 strenght against something. Maybe nitrate could be improved with just addition of +10 strenght ?

I boosted this one. There's nothing quite like it anywhere, so I wanted to try it with caution first.

Stravidium : the far worst promotion. Why the hell should we choose to give only +10 attack city strenght to units which usually are don't fit for this usage while we can give them +10 attack strengh against everything with a standart combat promotion ? stravidium could be more interesting by giving some kind of good defensive bonus.

Yes, I've already changed it to something better.

There is no real usage of defensive promotion for know in the game and richese seem not be a violent battle seeker.

Whats the point of producing units fast if not to go for the beatdown? :trouble:

Uranium : ok, maybe a little too powerful in regard of atreide ducal guard for exemple, which can have only 6 and to more limited unit type. But the real problem with this promotion is it can be used so late that the game is usually over before we can.

This one is ok. You have to tell me what settings do you play with. Everybody with gameplay comments should: Map size, speed and difficulty. Otherwise you can't say that the game is usually over before you can get this one. I never play below large size and below emperor difficulty and I'm usually still fighting in the last era (if I survive), unless the start went really well.

This modmod is AWESOME!!!! So glad to see it being worked on actively. I cannot praise you enough for doing this.

My patience thanks you.

Long story short, for a house 'advantage', nanotech has many structural challenges for a player to overcome. Which means its benefits should be strong to compensate - and, well, they are not. On the whole, they are *less* useful than other house-specific or offworld import-specific promotions.

Its better than Caladanian wine imo. The point of the promos is for units to have access to certain abilities that they normally could not have. That's the point. It's not meant to be overpowering. I could remove the nanoslots and still the richese would be a strong civ. Its hard to balance stuff. You have to look at the picture as a whole and ask, for example, how does this promo stack up with others, etc.

Then again, they have a hidden disadvantage - no slavery!

Only the Harkonnen can use slavery.

I highly recommend making towns and villages trade a coin for a hammer.

Possible.

Jumping-up-and-down and waving my hands shouting like a loon, over here, is me recommending you make those villages hammer-wielders just like their townie descendents are.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Just tell me if I'm not being expressive enough on this opinion. I can do more.

Do more.

Crystal: Needs help. I suggest it bumps up its bennies with either: adds +1 move; or halves move costs; plus its current benefits. More move when victoriously attacking is nice in theory, but in practice it rarely comes into usefulness. It needs a lot more to be value-added; especially since nanotech has such high opportunity cost.

No love for blitz. I guess its a question of playstyle, I don't know. It has saved my behind plenty of times. You have blitz: Quality > Quantity in units.

Diamond: Heal while moving? Almost good enough, for what it is.

You're saying that march is not you're cup of tea. It is indeed circunstancial and its more useful on higher difficulty levels where every turn may count in a war since the AI can reinforce faster. Actually, since units can heal on all terrain transports, it is indeed less useful in this mod, maybe. The problem of boosting march is that one would also boost Sardaukar. Hmm...

Stravidium: Weird suggestion.

I can't get it right every time! I just wanted to use the stack effect for once, but whatever.

Uranium: Target weakest, brilliant suggestion from LeBashar.

Sorry, absolutely not. A heavy scorpion would be unstoppable on land. Such a promo can only work for weak units as the laza tiger.

Thanks and cheers!

You are basically saying that "blitz" is not useful. I don't agree. In fact, it is a game changing promo if you're ahead in tech. I may add a first strike.

You're right, I never manage to make a succesfull use of blitz while my units, even with very big avantage, usually finish the first battle with so little HP left that a new battle is impossible except if I want to play dice with it survival (and I don't)
Except maybe for a very powerfull unit with high level drills promotion, blitz never make me dreaming, but there is many thing with "immune to first trike" which reduce this interesting case also. I am very interested to know how do you use it and found it "a game changing promo" ?

You have to tell me what settings do you play with. Everybody with gameplay comments should: Map size, speed and difficulty. Otherwise you can't say that the game is usually over before you can get this one. I never play below large size and below emperor difficulty and I'm usually still fighting in the last era (if I survive), unless the start went really well.

I usually play in standart map, never more than large (remember me too much game crash of FFH in large map and the fact I never can finish a game of this mod. Maybe they're should not be the same problem with dunewars but the game become anyway too slower for my taste in big map). Speed usually never faster than epic. And difficulty never less than prince, but rarely more because I found the game become too much a game a chance and I really don't like that.

Sorry, absolutely not. A heavy scorpion would be unstoppable on land. Such a promo can only work for weak units as the laza tiger.

You make me think I haven't think about target weakest + blitz which is obviously overpowered. But with only target weakest, I don't found it unstoppable. I have already make mod test some time ago with a similar promotion for atreides end game thopter and found it very nice. This make units extremely dangerous in attack, but they kill only one thing and HP still go down so counterattack still success to whipe down theses.

I have tested the game option "flexible difficulty" and it quickly grow to the max god-emperor mode. So I had the surprise to see coming hordes of ennemy units with nearly all of them with the target weakest promotions (even carryall lol ) but even if it is the goal there is something wrong because richese nanoslot promo was erased by this one. (And maybe this is a bug, I have made many modifications and maybe it is not this way the god-mode should working ? I never play it before).
Also in this high difficulty mode, all AI decide to attack you as soon as the peace traity is over no matter what you do to please them. This broke half the game for me and make useless many of the subtle balancing work. (and that's why I don't like "play" with that)

Anyway this made me think about what you've said of a target weakest promotion which could be too strong, even if in limited number. In fact it is not "too strong", it just eliminate the possiblity of play with hornet : because they are already first target in city and even a wandering gunship could kill them. So because AI player seem able to see even in the fog of war, they cross the map with weak suspensors or thopter to kill your hornet -> no more hornet. But there is always big doom stack of units, so it is really easy to protect against this promotion simply by add to your stack many usless unpromoted of the weakest unit available to produce. They will by kill first for nothing and let you counterattack with your best units remain protected. This work fine with a map with nearly every ennemy units with target weakest, so it should be ok with only 8 at max for 3 civ only.

(I have notice also the mentat don't work anymore if you create a new unit in the list before them in unitsinfo, it take me some time to found this. It is normal ? )

Attack weakest should probably ignore some units like; hornets and mentats.

Top Bottom