When to annex vs puppet?

Question

King
As title? One flaw of puppeting ive seen is that the governor AI is just brain dead....there were cities building stadiums without building a workshop first....and they didnt build it for the last 100 turns either....

My understanding of a puppet city is that it will set the workers to yield as much gold as possible and in the same theme the AI will build Markets, Banks, Stock Exchange, etc, before it builds other buildings. Don't know specifically what the order would be after the city has built all the money producing buildings.

As far as annex vs puppet, what I always do is puppet it to start and let the unrest settle down. Then once it is no longer in revolt (I forget the specific term the game uses for "just conquered city, produces nothing"), then I will annex it and immediately build or buy a Courthouse. I believe this is ultimately less unhappiness than the puppet city, and you have control over what is being produced (both by the city and the workers).

I Raze a City with No Wonders. I raze a City not Settled in the best place for its area. I Puppet a City as a Forward Base for during a Conquest. I Puppet Cities in general when I am going for a Cultural Victory to maintain a high Culture/Turn for Social Policies. I Annex Cities that have World Wonders. However before Annexing any City, I keep it a Puppet until I can afford to Buy a Courthouse to avoid the Happiness Hit. As a general rule, I think it is best just to Annex only Capitals and Cities with Wonders; with few exceptions.

If keeping the city at all (some AI cities are best off razing to the ground since they found cities too close together) others are junk for other reasons but are far enough away to safely sell to some other AI, then unless you have gone Order and already have the tenet that gives a free courthouse for instantly annex always puppet at least until it comes out of resistance.

You can't buy land tiles nor cash rush in a city that's still in resistance anyway so there's no point in subjecting yourself to the occupation happiness and increased cultural cost penalties yet.
After it comes out of resistance, then you can consider annexing at a point in which it won't interfere with national wonder construction.

I Raze a City with No Wonders. I raze a City not Settled in the best place for its area. I Puppet a City as a Forward Base for during a Conquest. I Puppet Cities in general when I am going for a Cultural Victory to maintain a high Culture/Turn for Social Policies. I Annex Cities that have World Wonders. However before Annexing any City, I keep it a Puppet until I can afford to Buy a Courthouse to avoid the Happiness Hit. As a general rule, I think it is best just to Annex only Capitals and Cities with Wonders; with few exceptions.

If you can live through the unhapiness hit of annexation, it's better to manually build the courthouse. Courthouses are one of the worst gold per hammer ratio in the game.

If you can live through the unhapiness hit of annexation, it's better to manually build the courthouse. Courthouses are one of the worst gold per hammer ratio in the game.

You have a solid pint, but I have been playing a lot of 'Try to Win Faster' games lately so every Turn spent building a Courthouse feels like it is slowing me down :)

why should puppets build workshops?
a puppet needs only several essential buildings (market, bank, colosseum, zoo, and maybe a library and monument).
workshop
1. delays those
2. doesnt pay for its cost: 10% of 5 buildings is only 50% cost of one building
3. has a maint of 2 gold
to help a puppet's production trade-post hills.

You have a solid pint, but I have been playing a lot of 'Try to Win Faster' games lately so every Turn spent building a Courthouse feels like it is slowing me down :)

If the choice is a gold-focused puppet working incense tiles and taking too many turns to build a castle or bank vs. an annexed non-gold-focused city building a courthouse and then building a university and a workshop in the same amount of time, I'll take the latter every time. Even with the extra social policy cost of annexation.

why should puppets build workshops?
a puppet needs only several essential buildings (market, bank, colosseum, zoo, and maybe a library and monument).
workshop
1. delays those
2. doesnt pay for its cost: 10% of 5 buildings is only 50% cost of one building
3. has a maint of 2 gold
to help a puppet's production trade-post hills.

We're talking about annexed cities here.
The purpose is to turn them into capable cities.

If puppets build workshops then they can build the other buildings much quicker. Rather than spending 10+ turns trying to build a stock exchange...

If puppets build workshops then they can build the other buildings much quicker. Rather than spending 10+ turns trying to build a stock exchange...

how 10% hammer cost reduction is much quicker?
add maintenance and the time you need to build the workshop itself.

If keeping the city at all (some AI cities are best off razing to the ground since they found cities too close together) others are junk for other reasons but are far enough away to safely sell to some other AI, then unless you have gone Order and already have the tenet that gives a free courthouse for instantly annex always puppet at least until it comes out of resistance.

You can't buy land tiles nor cash rush in a city that's still in resistance anyway so there's no point in subjecting yourself to the occupation happiness and increased cultural cost penalties yet.
After it comes out of resistance, then you can consider annexing at a point in which it won't interfere with national wonder construction.
You can actually buy tiles in a city under resistance so if there's an important resource in your puppet that you want to connect immediately, you have the option to annex and buy the tile without waiting for resistance to finish.

I think you could puppet any time that you have the necessary resources and times to provide a courthouse in a short time.. ANother good time to puppet is right after you finish building a national wonder such as national college or circus maximus because when you puppet a city while you're building a national wonder.. the dialog will tell you automatically that the national wonder is finished but you still need the building in the new annexed city to be able to finish the national wonder i.e. library for national college..

Hmm, do puppets increase the cost of social policies/great people? I know that they do for tech, but what about those two? Or is it just annexed cities?

Neither puppets nor annexed cities have any effect on. Great Person generation; the in game text has never been updated. Only annexed cities increase social policy costs.

Top Bottom