GoG and Civ 5

Mr.WorldWide

Smugly Inferior
I love Steam and all but I see GoG is a growing alternative with DRM free games. Is it possible we'll see Civ 5 available DRM free though them anytime soon. Like how civ 4 got a DRM free release about 5 years after it debuted.

Or would civ 5's steamworks integration make such a release impossible. All conjecture welcome ofc. :)

There is no reason why civ5 couldn't be DRM free though (apart from Firaxis not wanting it to be), the game has almost no interaction with a remote server.

Actually that's Take Two's call, not Firaxis.

As I recall, the very last Civ IV patch to BTS removed the CD check, this was well after Civ V had been announced.

I don't think that will happen, for (at least) three reasons:
1. It would disable multiplayer.
2. It would need a completely new patching system.
3. It would pose problems for mods (although I think there could be a way to install them manually?)

We could expect firaxis to disable civ 5 multiplayer like it happened in civ 4..

Appreciate the insight, I just felt with the rise of GoG and the trend toward DRM free games now would be a better time then it was for civ 4 to release a drm free Civ 5 alongside the Civ: BE launch.

I know there are plenty of fans out there who still refuse to use steam and with GoG's new client I'm not so sure patching is such a hurtle anymore. I honestly don't see why modding wouldn't be possible on a drm free game. Civ 4 has the best mods of any Civ to date (imo) and they are manually installed for the most part.

What is this GoG of which you speak?

Thought I was reasonably up to date but apparently not.

Well see, that's what I mean. A couple years back GoG was just older games sold DRM free, now Whitcher 3 is available for preorder through them (DRM free) and they've got their own client a bit like Origin and Steam.

Top Bottom