Obtaining various resources from tiles?

Prozac1964

Warlord
I've got a couple of questions about different resources shown on tiles.

1. ) Can I work a fish tile with a second Work Boat, when the first one is through?

2. ) When I see resources such as Wine, Coal or Gems how do I extract those resources?
Do I send a worker to work those tiles the way I send an archaeologist to dig at an
antiquity site?

Ok, that's all. :) Thanks for any help.

1) One work boat is enough for each sea resource for the entire game.

2) A worker can construct the right improvement for the resource if you have the right technology. To extract gems, you need to build a mine on it, and to build mines you need Mining.

1) One work boat is enough for each sea resource for the entire game.

2) A worker can construct the right improvement for the resource if you have the right technology. To extract gems, you need to build a mine on it, and to build mines you need Mining.

Thanks for your reply, Zeren. Got it on the work boats, but wouldn't it be nice if the icon of the gems and all other land resources would go away after it has been worked the way the antiquity icons go away after a successful dig? Would be a lot less clutter on the map. :)

Antiquity sites are like resources, so one can't be on the same tile where a resource is already available.

At least I've never seen this happen before...

Are you telling me you went through a game, reached archeology, without figuring out how to build a mine on gems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of questions about different resources shown on tiles.

1. ) Can I work a fish tile with a second Work Boat, when the first one is through?

2. ) When I see resources such as Wine, Coal or Gems how do I extract those resources?
Do I send a worker to work those tiles the way I send an archaeologist to dig at an
antiquity site?

Ok, that's all. :) Thanks for any help.

#1 The only way the fishing boat would go away is if someone pillaged it.

#2 Wine & Gems are luxuries and visible from game start.
For Coal, you need Industrialization to reveal this.
Mouse over any resource icon and it will show in red if you are missing a tech.
Yes, if you want to improve & connect these resources you have to send a worker to build the improvement.

Sites will NEVER appear on resource tiles, not even hidden ones.

Are you telling me you went through a game, reached archeology, without figuring out how to build a mine on gems?

I absolutely am not telling you that! I knew how to build mines, farms, plantations, forts, roads, railroads, chop forests etc, however I did not know that building a mine would extract gems from the earth. I've been playing Civ 5 for maybe all of 2 months whereas some people here have been playing it for 19 years or more. The great majority of members here have really helped me understand and improve upon the game. A big thank you to all of you. But Rubendg12 your comment isn't very helpful.

I would not have asked the questions if I had already known the answer. ;)

#1 The only way the fishing boat would go away is if someone pillaged it.

#2 Wine & Gems are luxuries and visible from game start.
For Coal, you need Industrialization to reveal this.
Mouse over any resource icon and it will show in red if you are missing a tech.
Yes, if you want to improve & connect these resources you have to send a worker to build the improvement.

Sites will NEVER appear on resource tiles, not even hidden ones.

Thanks so much joncnunn. A very useful post indeed. :) I knew about the "red tech letters" early on, but most of my problem arose during my first game. I played online with a friend in an ally role, so we took turns conquering the world together. Well, I didn't know anything about the hidden icons you can turn off or on, such as coal, gems, wine, etc. until I reached archaeology and he taught me how to turn on the numerous icons. :eek: Anyway, I learned how to locate and process an artifact dig, but honestly I thought all the resource icons were a bit overwhelming so I just sort of ignored them....until now. And thanks to you I'm learning something.

Thanks for your help. :) :goodjob:

Prozac, if I am understanding you question correctly you are talking about and trying to get rid of the circular resource icons above the actual tile itself. That is an option to the left of the mini-map, you can turn on/off the resource icons, the grid, and a couple other things as well.

As a side note, you can't use up any resources except for the antiquity sites. The resource will stay for the duration of the game and as long as you have the appropriate improvement constructed while it is in your borders you can use it.

Prozac, if I am understanding you question correctly you are talking about and trying to get rid of the circular resource icons above the actual tile itself. That is an option to the left of the mini-map, you can turn on/off the resource icons, the grid, and a couple other things as well.

As a side note, you can't use up any resources except for the antiquity sites. The resource will stay for the duration of the game and as long as you have the appropriate improvement constructed while it is in your borders you can use it.

Awesome and thanks Droogs! Yes, looking back I could see how my OP was a bit vague. Sorry about that, but you definitely helped with your answer. :)

Antiquity sites are like resources...

I would characterize them more like one-time events, more like a barb camp spawn (but in a good way).

but wouldn't it be nice if the icon of the gems and all other land resources would go away after it has been worked the way the antiquity icons go away after a successful dig?

Well, it would be much less interesting if luxes/strategics were one-time events rather than exploited/protected all game long.

Would be a lot less clutter on the map.

I do find the antiquity icons difficult to spot. BNW, as compared to GnK, has caused me to appreciate the Ctrl-R toggle!

I would characterize them more like one-time events, more like a barb camp spawn (but in a good way).

Well, it would be much less interesting if luxes/strategics were one-time events rather than exploited/protected all game long.

I never thought of it that way. :D

I do find the antiquity icons difficult to spot. BNW, as compared to GnK, has caused me to appreciate the Ctrl-R toggle!

Yet again, I've learned something new. :eek: I'm guessing Ctrl-R turns the resource icons on and off, quickly? Now that would be useful. :)

Hang in there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Civ is an outstanding game and part of the enjoyment is learning all these details.

Remember that people will kid you a little, though. People like me...

If you move a worker on to a lux resource tile, it will tell you what improvement you need on that tile to access it and if you have the requisite tech. If this tile gets pillaged by enemies, then you lose access to that resource from that tile. For antiquity sites, once you dig them up, they become artifacts that are stored in your empire, unles you make them into a landmark, which you should do if they are within 3 tiles of your cities.

I'm guessing Ctrl-R turns the resource icons on and off, quickly? Now that would be useful.

Exactly. With GnK I would use the resource icons infrequently, and never bothered to learn the keyboard shortcut. With the antiquity sites, I feel the need to toggle the feature constantly, during that middle part of the game.

Exactly. With GnK I would use the resource icons infrequently, and never bothered to learn the keyboard shortcut. With the antiquity sites, I feel the need to toggle the feature constantly, during that middle part of the game.

Me too! And a big fat kudos to you, beetle. :) I'm using that shortcut like there's no tomorrow. Thanks again. :D

I leave the resource icons off most of the time. I only turn them on briefly to hunt for archaeology sites, luxuries I need for "We Love the King Day", or strategic resources I don't have yet. If left on all the time the visual clutter is just too much.

Top Bottom