Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

How do I delete a file without it going to the recycle bin?

That thing inside CD and DVD drives that make the disc spin; do they use some sort of lubricant or oil that keeps the motor from grinding or something? Or how does it work?

There are a lot of services available, but I'm wondering what the preferred URL shortening service is among the tech savvy.

How do I get Gimp to let me actually edit the alpha channel of a particular layer?

I keep paint bucketing and brushing it, but i'm not seeing any changes in the window.

What I did was, I right clicked on the layer, selected "add alpha channel", then I switched over to the RGB tab, and I'm trying to get it to select the alpha channel so I can actually edit it, but nothing's happening.

I am not sure what you are trying to do exactly but the only way I know of editing transparency whould be like below:
Spoiler :

/Layer/Transparency/ should provide all necessary options
You can either edit the selected parts or the whole layer.
If you want to edit the level of transparency for a whole layer fast you can work with the transparency settings in the layer tab
Spoiler :

I was trying to capture screenshots from a game but things happened very fast so I could not get good screenshots. So I decided to make a video instead and get screenshots from that and for some reason I messed up the video recording program aspect ratio and the video ended up with black bars on the top and bottom for some reason. I was using a new program. But it looks fine otherwise and I'd rather not re-record if neccessary.. Is there a very simple way to crop multiple screenshots the same way?

Sometimes my PC has an extra long boot up time. Often it will full boot to desktop in under a minute. But other times it will take 3-4 minutes. Any idea what might be the cause? Anti virus isn't finding anything.

Well it might be some software auto upgrades finishing the installation. antivirus, acrobat reader, flash, video player (divx annoyed me for some time) and plenty of other software should be considered.

So the new 3rd gen Intel processors (22nm process now) are available on NewEgg.

Are they compatible with 2nd gen motherboards?

So the new 3rd gen Intel processors (22nm process now) are available on NewEgg.

Are they compatible with 2nd gen motherboards?

Yes, assuming you mean the previous generation of motherboards (Z68/H67/etc.).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/5

The good news for current 6-series/Sandy Bridge owners is, with BIOS support, your platforms can support Ivy Bridge as well—making for a better upgrade path down the road.

So my current iTunes library has a couple of items that look like this:

How can I consolidate them to appear as one album? :cringe:

edit: wait... it's as simple as renaming all the artists to the same name, I bet.

Oh well, posting this helped me figure it out so :hatsoff: to you guys anyway!

I LOL'd a bit at all the duplicates

Has anyone any experience of using cloud based computing resources for large computing tasks? I am thinking of something like Amazon EC2 Spot Instances, where my tasks would run when demand is low.

The task I have to run is basicly a few hundred thousand instances of an R function based on a roughly 10GB database. Each instance takes about 1.5 seconds on our 3 year old server single threaded, each instance is independent of every other one. I would want to run the whole thing (or a significant subset of it) every day. We have to choose between investing in a server for ourselves or doing it on the cloud.

So I've had this Windows 7 Asus laptop for a while now. She's had some issues, but everything's been okay for the most part. Today she decided to inform me that my copy of Windows, which I purchased at Best Buy, is illegitmate. I've had this computer for months and this hasn't coincided with any updates like most situations I've read about online. It just kind of happened out of the blue. So what's next?

Top Bottom