[Religion and Revolution]: Feedback and Questions

There is no fixed date.
But maybe in about a month. :dunno:
We have a few open todos, which we need to finish.

Great, that gives me alittle bit more flexibility in terms of my edits. I was starting to worry I wasn't doing enough yet. :p

I am not really happy with the feature of natives attacking treasures.

As far as I have noticed, the AI doesn't care about protecting their treasure. In turn, this means that the AI roams the continent, reveals treasures and loses them almost immediately to the natives.
The consequence is that the AI lacks money which it desperately needs and the human player has almost no chance to detect treasure by himself, as he is forced to protect his own treasures.

Sure, you can try to stay at good terms with the natives, but latest on bigger maps this becomes almost impossible, as you will only have direct access to just one or two tribes. The others, being more far away, will slowly become more angry ("we don't like your way of living") and will shoot down the treasures.

I wouldn't have a problem with that feature in case of a tribe being really angry or even hostile. But average mood shouldn't allow for it.

Actually, AI treasures are not attacked as often as Human treasures.
But it is simply a matter of balancing.

Once I find the time, I will take a look at it. :thumbsup:
(I need to play a normal game myselfe one day.)

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask for strategy help but here goes.

I can easily beat the game on highest settings in vanilla but this mod's gigantic map and the new buildings layout are giving me trouble.

The other Europeans are outpacing me on political points and getting Adam Smith (+1 to _5 hammers for town hall buildings) first after getting the Scouts +1 FF is eluding me.

How many towns can you expect to build on this mod on the gigantic map?
Can you just build mineral extraction towns until your scouts find the map area where there are no natives and settle your new homeland after 1530 or so and expect to win?

I can easily beat the game on highest settings in vanilla but this mod's gigantic map and the new buildings layout are giving me trouble.
The other Europeans are outpacing me on political points and getting Adam Smith (+1 to _5 hammers for town hall buildings) first after getting the Scouts +1 FF is eluding me.

AI of this mod cannot be compared to AI of Vanilla anymore.
TAC (the mod we are based on) had already greatly improved AI and we have done even more ...

How many towns can you expect to build on this mod on the gigantic map ?

No idea, never tried.
But definitely a lot !

Can you just build mineral extraction towns until your scouts find the map area where there are no natives and settle your new homeland after 1530 or so and expect to win ?

I don't know. :)
Try it. :thumbsup:

-----------

2 Advices:

1. Use the new features.
2. Try new strategies.

This mod is not Vanilla.
It is designed not to be ...

The difference in terms of memory usage between 1.1 and 1.2 is massive. I just finally loaded the mod to have some fun tonight instead of peruse over files...
Jesus christ. It usually took 5 minutes before, and now it took something along the lines of 1 minute.

Thanks for the other thread!

I had a couple of questions about slaves and criminals. Neither can learn from a native village but the Colopedia, under the Learn by Doing section, didn't address these:

-Will a petty criminal-scout become seasoned through talking to native villages or riskily hitting goodie huts?

-Will slaves eventually earn free status working as pioneers?

A freed slave in old fashion attire avatar, like the converted native, would be cool.

I'll experiment with one slave pioneer for this game but it's a waste of time to try a petty criminal scout if it will never become seasoned.

Can we sign up to edit the Colopedia entries and add the answers to the documentation?

Jesus christ. It usually took 5 minutes before, and now it took something along the lines of 1 minute.

See. :)

For me loading of the mod really takes on my weaker machine:
less than 45 seconds with empty caches
less than 15 secondes with filled caches

And it is not only loading times ...

I have a Dual Core 1.8 GHz notebook with 2GB RAM and the 1.1 version takes about 4 to 6 minutes on first load. It thrashes the hard drive fairly hard but once loaded it sits at about 400 to 600 MB of RAM usage.
It's about 10 to 15% less demanding that Eve Online which I play often while still running PaleMoon with 100 tabs open for watching television shows.

Is 1.2 going to be more demanding?

Greater efficiency of memory usage and loading speeds are always a great thing :banana:

Got some more time in (finally managed to get past 1600 :p) and have a few more ideas:

1) I know it's for balancing reasons but it's really weird that tribes on the other side of the continent (usually not even in contact with you or AI) should be worried about "your way of living". What do they care that there's a bunch of colonists on the east coast messing around the coastline and maybe a 50-100km inland? (note: i play on gigantic maps). Maybe a way to have the effect diminish with distance would be a good thing?

2) Native Reservations: as your colonies grow they start to push out the native settlements. But occassionally you're located near a settlement that's a good source for something (converts, experts, etc) and your like to keep them closeby. What about allowing you to designate land as "reserve" so that it can be used by the original owners?

3) Landownership when conquering AI settlements: I've notices that when you take settlements from European AIs that you need to pay a fee to the natives! A bit silly if you're in a war that's going back and forth.

4)What-if scenario: maybe something for much much much later once the main development cycle is over but wouldn't it provide a nice change in pace if you could colonise from the west (or have AI's do it) with the what-if colonisators China and Japan.

5) Alternatively or parallel with 4): one might allow the main European colonisators of the far east (Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands and the British) to enter the map from the east too after a certain point. Maybe even the Russians.

1) I know it's for balancing reasons but it's really weird that tribes on the other side of the continent (usually not even in contact with you or AI) should be worried about "your way of living". What do they care that there's a bunch of colonists on the east coast messing around the coastline and maybe a 50-100km inland? (note: i play on gigantic maps). Maybe a way to have the effect diminish with distance would be a good thing?

"Way of living" simply refers to that they see your growing power as a threat.
And distance / cultural pressure already is the one of the most important factors of Native Attitude.

No need to change.

2) Native Reservations: as your colonies grow they start to push out the native settlements. But occassionally you're located near a settlement that's a good source for something (converts, experts, etc) and your like to keep them closeby. What about allowing you to designate land as "reserve" so that it can be used by the original owners?

Don't like that. :dunno:

3) Landownership when conquering AI settlements: I've notices that when you take settlements from European AIs that you need to pay a fee to the natives! A bit silly if you're in a war that's going back and forth.

You don't need to pay anything.
This feature simply allows the player to avoid trouble.

4)What-if scenario: maybe something for much much much later once the main development cycle is over but wouldn't it provide a nice change in pace if you could colonise from the west (or have AI's do it) with the what-if colonisators China and Japan.

Nope, no China or Japan in this mod.

5) Alternatively or parallel with 4): one might allow the main European colonisators of the far east (Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands and the British) to enter the map from the east too after a certain point. Maybe even the Russians.

You can enter the map to the east, if you have colonies there or leave the map to the east.

About "Russia", we will see ... :dunno:

Got the game not to long ago. I'm amazed at the effort put in.

I do have one issue with the game, and that is the use of a spot outside a city for the production of horses. I think with the limited (1 spot) city radius, this makes building a decent economy and having horses nearly impossible. You are basically down to 1 commercial spot per city now.
If Col were like Civ, and had a 2 spot radius, this concept would be excellent, but with the one spot radius, I find it just makes the game that is already quite involved and complex to be too complex, with too much to keep track of (all new new resources, many that are needed to build unit etc) and now, have to have a "horse city" and having to export horses to all your other colonies. I just think that you should have kept the classic horse breeding concept.

I am impressed that you brought in so many needed units (its about time someone remembered there was slavery, and not just African slavery in this era)

I'm amazed at the effort put in.

Thanks. :)

If Col were like Civ, and had a 2 spot radius, ...

Discussed several times and rejected by the team.
We will not do that.

I just think that you should have kept the classic horse breeding concept.

Sorry, but we like the new "Livestock Breeding" and will keep it.

-----

Of course, everybody is free to create a modmod for Religion and Revolution and implement things differently. :thumbsup:

There are a couple of things I would like to see:

A Founding Father or event that allows you to repair relationships with other European Colonists that you have had a war with. Ben Franklin was the diplomat that got France to use their navy to help us win the war against the Brits. Maybe reduce his Liberty bell reward to +1 and give a +4 in relations to other colonies?

I'd like to be able to sell my old ships to the other colonies or back to the King at 1/2 price. I haven't tried gifting a ship to them to see what it does for trade. (+4 Trade Relations have been Fair) I'll try that out but I'd rather have the cash for this Fluyt.

A Founding Father or event that allows you to repair relationships with other European Colonists that you have had a war with.

Planned. :)

I'd like to be able to sell my old ships to the other colonies or back to the King at 1/2 price.

Planned as well. :)

Top Bottom