New Buildings Discussion

This should be in my mod IIRC. Feel free to edit, I'm away from modding sadly for some time...

Found It, I was looking at Modules/Hydro/Minerals forever lol.

You will find the majority of newer buildings in my folder. Especially TH era buildings wewere working on before you left, but also some buildings like Pulley Wheel that were used to fill those empty techs you added in the Ancient era. Feel free to just merge my module into the core, it should be a rather easy copy and paste job since I can't remember using the "force override" tag once. You might want to double check though. Glad you are back and motivated to polish the eras :goodjob:

You will find the majority of newer buildings in my folder. Especially TH era buildings wewere working on before you left, but also some buildings like Pulley Wheel that were used to fill those empty techs you added in the Ancient era. Feel free to just merge my module into the core, it should be a rather easy copy and paste job since I can't remember using the "force override" tag once. You might want to double check though. Glad you are back and motivated to polish the eras :goodjob:

Indeed. The more buildings that get merged into the core the easier it will be to find them.

And yeah make sure you remove the force override code on some of them. Its typically found at the very last part of a building's code.

@MrAzure

Please make these buildings.

Murder Holes
Button/Icon: ?
Req Tech: Siege Warfare
Req Buildings: City Gatehouse OR Castle Gatehouse
Req Resources: Oil OR Tar OR Olive Oil OR Ghee Oil OR Fish Oil OR Whale Oil
Req City Size: 6
Cost: 120
Req Power: No
Obsolete Tech: Artillery
Replaced By: -

• -1 :gold:
  • Repels Attacker (like Bee Bombs)
  • Adjacent Enemy Units will Receive 10% Damage Per Turn
  • +20% Defense
  • +10 Flammability
  • +10 Air Pollution

---

Pitch Ditch
Button/Icon: Here
Req Tech: Ancient Ballistics
Req Buildings: -
Req Resources: Tar
Req City Size: -
Cost: 110
Obsolete Tech: Mine Warfare

• +2 :yuck:
  • Adjacent Enemy Units will Receive 10% Damage Per Turn
  • +20% Defense
  • +10 Flammability
  • +10 Air Pollution

---

Rolling Logs
Button/Icon: Here
Req Tech: Masonry
Req Buildings: Walls OR High Walls
Req Resources: Prime Timber
Cost: 30
Obsolete Tech: Rifling

• +2 :yuck:
  • Adjacent Enemy Units will Receive 5% Damage Per Turn
  • +10% Defense

---

@MrAzure

Some more ...

Match Maker
Req Tech: Ceremony
Req Buildings: Marriage Ceremony
Req Resources: -
Cost: 25
Obsolete Tech: -
Replaced By: Video Dating Service, Online Dating Service

• +1 :gold:
  • +1 :)
  • +1 :culture:

---

Video Dating Service
Req Tech: Television
Req Buildings: Marriage Ceremony AND TV Studio
Req Resources: Televisions
Req City Size: 13
Cost: 1100
Req Power: Yes
Replaced By: Online Dating Service

• +2 :gold:

---

Internet Dating Service
Req Tech: Digitization
Req Buildings: Marriage Ceremony AND App Store AND Social Networks
Req Resources: Computer OR Personal Electronic Devices
Req City Size: 13
Cost: 3000

• +3 :gold:

---

Bridal Shop
- Add Marriage Ceremony as a building requirement.

---

Thanks! :goodjob:

@MrAzure

Some more ...

Toilet Paper Factory
Req Tech: Modern Sanitation AND Assembly Line
Req Buildings: Factory
Req Resources: Paper
Cost: 490

• +3 :gold:
  • Produces 1 Toilet Paper resource.
  • +1 :gold:% with Perfume
  • +1 :gold:% with Dyes
  • +1 :yuck:
  • +5 Flammability
  • +5 Air Pollution

---

Public Restrooms
- Have it require Toilet Paper resource instead of Paper.

---

Crime (Toilet Papering)
- Have it require Toilet Paper resource resource instead of Paper.

---

Supermarket
- Add +1 :gold:% with Toilet Paper

---

Hypermarket
- Add +1 :gold:% with Toilet Paper

---

Vaccine Lab
- Have it produce 1 Vaccines resource

---

Resources

Toilet Paper
Art: (See New icons for all crafter resources thread)
Revealed: Modern Sanitation
Enabled: Modern Sanitation

---

Vaccines
Art: (See New icons for all crafter resources thread)
Revealed: Antibiotics
Enabled: Antibiotics

---

Thanks! :goodjob:

Not for the older cultural reference not really. That's what the ladies in town who were really the first to make a pseudo-profession out of it were called and there really isn't another term that captures it in the same light.

A prominent matchmaker (the word would be best expressed as one word rather than two to help differentiate between a maker of matches and a pair up expert) was featured in the movie/play 'Fiddler on the Roof'...

It's probably not only better... it's most likely the correct way to differentiate the two in the first place, particularly since spell check seems to like the term as one word and usually doesn't if it isn't commonly stated that way in some reference frame.

I wanted to share my thoughts on late game buildings in general, including some new building ideas. Forgive me if this isn't the right thread for this.

One of the major problems that occurs in the late game (Modern Era and later) is the exponential proliferation of buildings, many of which are of limited value. I suspect this causes a lot of slowdown late in the game, and it also makes it a pain to navigate through the build list for those few things I actually want. I think that a good general solution is to make most buildings go obsolete and add new, late-game buildings that consolidate the older buildings. This would also help full some of the empty techs late in the game. Here are a few thoughts. The exact numbers aren't meant to be taken too seriously.

Additive Manufacturing Complex: requires Rapid Prototyping. Produces 25 gold, 25 hammers, 5 culture, 25 air pollution. Produces furniture, bricks, barrels, clothing, shoes, hats, pencils, and various other manufactured resources. Replaces all of the respective factories, which would then go obsolete at an appropriate later tech.

Electronics Mill: requires Plastic Electronics. Produces 25 gold, 25 hammers, 5 culture, 25 air pollution. Produces computers, semiconductors, radios, calculators, blenders, washer driers, power tools, and various other electronic resources. Replaces all of the respective factors, which then go obsolete at an appropriate later tech. (Maybe some resources, such as transistors and radios, should go obsolete at Plastic Electronics.)

Athletic Complex: requires Modern Sports. Produces 5 health and 5 happiness. All Lawn Sports buildings except Golf Course go obsolete at Modern Sports.

Athletic Megacomplex: requires Battlefield Sports. Produces 20 health and 20 happiness, replaces Athletic Complex. All other sports buildings except Minor League Stadium, Major League Stadium, and Golf Course go obsolete. The theory is that all these sports are housed in one large facility.

Asteroid Miner: requires Asteroid Mining and Commercial Spaceport, produces 10 gold, 10 hammers, and a new resource, Asteroid Ore. Asteroid Ore is an alternative resource that can be used to build each of the metal smelter buildings. Especially useful for civs that otherwise lack access to certain resources.

Metalworks: requires Asteroid Mining and Asteroid Ore. Produces 5 gold, 15 air pollution, 3 hammers, and all of the metal ingots. Replaces the other buildings that work specific metals, which go obsolete at Asteroid Extraction.

Metalsmith: requires Asteroid Mining and Metalworks. Produces 5 gold, 15 air pollution, and all of the metal wares. Replaces all of the other smith buildings, which go obsolete at Asteroid Extraction.

Asteroid Manufacturing Complex: requires Asteroid Extraction and Commercial Spaceport. Produces 20 hammers, 20 gold, and all metal ores, ingots, and wares and replaces all other relevant buildings.

To reduce the shock at Teleportation, where a whole bunch of buildings go obsolete and there is a huge loss of commerce, I would make some of them go obsolete earlier. In addition, I would divide the commerce gain of Teleport Booth and Teleport Shipping Warehouse by 5 and add the following buildings, each of which would give the same commerce gains as the new TB and TSW:

Vactrain Station and Vactrain Shipping Warehouse (requires Supersonic Rails)
Time Travel Booth and Temporal Shipping Warehouse (requires Time Travel)
Wormhole Station and Wormhole Shipping Warehouse (requires Wormhole Traversal)
Alcubierre Station and Alcubierre Shipping Warehouse (requires Space Creasing)
4D Station and 4D Shipping Warehouse (requires one of the very late techs)

Nutraceuctial Animal Breeding Program: requires Nutraceuctial Animals, -20 air and water pollution, replaces all the animal breeding programs, which go obsolete at Nutraceuctial Animals.

Suggested new education buildings. They need a bit more fleshing out and extending into the future eras.

Lecture Room
Req Tech: Mathematics
Req Buildings: Scribal School and (Village Hall or better)
Req Resources: Furniture
Obsolete Tech: Education
Replaced By: Lecture Room (Free)

• -2 :gold:
  • +4 education
  • +1 science

---

Lecture Room (Free)
Replaced By: Lecture Hall
Provided by: Plato's Academy

• +4 education
  • +1 science

---

Lecture Hall
Req Tech: Philosophy
Req Buildings: Library and (Village Hall or better)
Obsolete Tech: ??
Replaced By: Lecture Hall (Free)

• -4 :gold:
  • +8 education
  • +2 science

---

Lecture Hall (Free)
Cost: 100
Provided by: Great Library, Newton's Collage
  • +8 education
  • +2 science

Great concepts and I think the numbers look good. They look like they'd be an extension of the Community Forum Prehistoric building I suggested so perhaps a whole building chain that replaces the one before it would be in order here. That would also give us an opportunity to extrapolate a smoothly growing educational benefit that would be appropriate to the next building upgrade step on each link. That could also help us develop the line all the way through to the future stuff and let it become a 'core' from which other buildings may interact and base some standards on.

As for the build cost... is that following the recent rechart of the base build/train costs by tech grid x that was posted in the modder's documentation? I can see this line of buildings being appropriate to follow that progression fairly directly.

In short, I think it's great... just expand the concept out across the whole tech range.

No the costs are wrong. I forgot to change them.

I was reading an article on archaeological excavations on the street of lecture theaters leading up to the Great Library of Alexandria and wondering how to include them in game.

You don't need a second "(free)" building for that. Wonders can give the normal one to all cities with a simple tag.

That is the point. You have to pay for them or get the free one in all cities free with the wonder.

I wanted the National Library Service to do exactly that, basically you get economies of scale by having the library cost less but the wonder cost more. But it did not happen because of the upgrades and other linkages.

So if you have a free lecture room and you build a lecture hall you would replace the free lecture room but if you had a built lecture room and built a lecture hall you would not replace the lecture room? That's how it would work with the above arrangement. This would make it better to not have a free one but have a built one instead (that would then add its bonuses at the same time as the lecture hall once it was built.)

So if you have a free lecture room and you build a lecture hall you would replace the free lecture room but if you had a built lecture room and built a lecture hall you would not replace the lecture room? That's how it would work with the above arrangement. This would make it better to not have a free one but have a built one instead (that would then add its bonuses at the same time as the lecture hall once it was built.)

What I wrote gives the following upgrade path
Lecture Room -> Lecture Room (Free) -> Lecture Hall -> Lecture Hall (Free)​

We have lots of places where things upgrade what is the confusion? I use this method a lot especially in the Myths and Stories but elsewhere also.

Either you build individual buildings in all your cities or you build a wonder that gives you a cheaper version. For that to work the cheaper version has to be an upgrade of he expensive one so that you no longer get the non free one appearing in the city build list.

Suggested new education buildings. They need a bit more fleshing out and extending into the future eras. Costs have now been updated.

Lecture Room

• +4 education
  • +1 science

---

Lecture Room (Free)
Cost: -1 ie free from Plato's Academy
Replaced By: Lecture Hall

• 0 :gold:
  • +4 education
  • +1 science

---

Lecture Hall
Cost: 550
Replaced By: Lecture Hall (Free)

• -4 :gold:
  • +8 education
  • +2 science

---

Lecture Hall (Free)
Cost: -1 ie free from Great Library, Newton's Collage, Ofxford University.

• 0 :gold:
  • +8 education
  • +2 science

That is the point. You have to pay for them or get the free one in all cities free with the wonder.

I wanted the National Library Service to do exactly that, basically you get economies of scale by having the library cost less but the wonder cost more. But it did not happen because of the upgrades and other linkages.

You could also use the tags we have like the library service coud give "+X :gold: from all library", with X = :gold: costs of libraries. We also have a wonder (SETI) that reduces building costs of a certain building.

Top Bottom