Alternative Terrain

Sparth have you tried the Three Planets map script with these? It crashes with the original but works with the other alternate.

Really?? That would mean then that the terrain WE have now has some errors or deficiencies in them??

Really?? That would mean then that the terrain WE have now has some errors or deficiencies in them??

There are incompatibilities yes but are they in the Earth terrains we now have or the space terrains I merged from other mods. Maybe we need to build our own lunar, Mars and space terrains from scratch.

There are incompatibilities yes but are they in the Earth terrains we now have or the space terrains I merged from other mods. Maybe we need to build our own lunar, Mars and space terrains from scratch.

So its NOT the Earth stuff then, just the universe stuff then

It could be either. The alternate terrain I use works fine with the space terrain but then it would since that is where I tested it as I added it and dropped any terrains that caused crashes.

Ok ill look on this map in near future. Should be repairable :)

Ok I checked this map script with original and alternative terraint and looks ok to me. We have 3 stripes of terrain (left moon, center normal, right mars) divided by space terrain with asteroids. When this script crash?

Hmm tested in WB all off-planet terrains and everything was ok. No crash.

I am trying this terrain with v8754, but got some graphics loading issues.

And it looks like, this pack is no longer compatible with v8754, or actually starting from 8736?

Got this message:
Assert Failed

File: CvArtFileMgr.cpp
Line: 106
SVN-Rev: 8736
Expression: false

----------------------------------------------------------

I will try to resolve the issue, but I guess someone working with developing graphics would do it much faster.

----------------------------------------------------------

I will try to resolve the issue, but I guess someone working with developing graphics would do it much faster.
Look into the SVN version of "Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain.xml"
and copy its entries of the new terrains: sea, deep sea, deep coast, trench, continental Shelf, lake, and lake shore. into the same xml that I assume is part of this modmod.

Ok,this wasn't so difficult.
Attached is replacement of both XML files, that should work for svn version 8754.
A temporary solution.

Attachments

• xml_fix_v8754.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 279
This terrain graphics is much better looking.
Any chance it would make into official c2c?

Any chance you and Toffer can get together and make a GREAT looking terrain, i like BLUER stuff (if it isnt noticeable already that most know this, lol)

some of this stuff like grasslands is still to dark for me, but i really like DETAILS in them, so i guess get Toffer, Sparth and Questdogs terrain in a collaboration together and see what YOU'LL can come up with, thx. . . SO

Any chance you and Toffer can get together and make a GREAT looking terrain, i like BLUER stuff (if it isnt noticeable already that most know this, lol)

some of this stuff like grasslands is still to dark for me, but i really like DETAILS in them, so i guess get Toffer, Sparth and Questdogs terrain in a collaboration together and see what YOU'LL can come up with, thx. . . SO

I will need to learn dds and mipmapping a bit, and maybe get some better software for modifying them. I will find out.

Modifying details is kinda universal for all. I think this terrain modmod has done it pretty well, so it could be the base for official new terrain. Colors is more difficult matter. I sometimes use an external monitor and sometimes laptop monitor. The difference in colors is significant. And this is on top of our personal preferences. There is no easy solution.

I was thinking about possibility to indicate in c2c options certain terrain choices - versions of terrain graphics. It would increase download size by some tens of megabytes.
And I am not sure, if that is possible, having such alternative xml files?
Doing it in external small program, that would adjust terrain xml would be possible and easy for the user. More work to do though for a modder.

Top Bottom