C2C - Galactic Era

Speaking of ideas, here's one thats pretty off the wall. Would it be possible to make different yield types and different commerce types for the different maps?

IE, on earth the food/production/commerce yields work well. However, on the moon you aren't going to be growing food, and so would need to ship it up from earth (meaning a 'food slider' or something). Ditto for mars, until it gets terraformed. This means you have a spare yield type which could be filled. These new yields could include Helium-3 (look it up on wikipedia if you dont know what it's use is) or other extraterrestrial elements essential for a Transhuman civ to function. On the Galactic map, things would be totally up in the air as to what good yields would be. Maybe back to the normal F/P/C would be best there, I don't know.

Well, at the moment were just discussing ideas. So far as I know nobody has actually attempted to get a demo going yet.

Does the map for the Civilization Tactical Combat even work? Or is it still being developed? I would love to see even just a test map for C2C. It would not even have to be anything fancy just like grass or something. Something to show you could switch from map to map.

Speaking of ideas, here's one thats pretty off the wall. Would it be possible to make different yield types and different commerce types for the different maps?

IE, on earth the food/production/commerce yields work well. However, on the moon you aren't going to be growing food, and so would need to ship it up from earth (meaning a 'food slider' or something). Ditto for mars, until it gets terraformed. This means you have a spare yield type which could be filled. These new yields could include Helium-3 (look it up on wikipedia if you dont know what it's use is) or other extraterrestrial elements essential for a Transhuman civ to function. On the Galactic map, things would be totally up in the air as to what good yields would be. Maybe back to the normal F/P/C would be best there, I don't know.

This is doable but much harder. Rather than having strictly different yield types on different maps you'd just have different subsets of the same overall (larger than now) yield sets (commerces are civ wide, so in their case you'd definately be adding to make a larger set, rather than switching, though the conversion of yields to commerces is largely mediated by buildings, and you could certainly have different sets of buildings between map types, for example by using terrain requirements). Adding commerce and yield types generally is doable (some mods have already done it). It has implications for turn processing time and memory usage however, so it's not something to do lightly.

I don't see why we need it though. Lets say we have the moon. We just make terrain that gives commerce or hammers (or none in the case of barren) but not food. Then when they are terraformed you can upgrade the terrain to produce food. Things like Helium-3 can just be made a resource on the moon instead of a yeild.

One concern I have is that each of the maps will have to be the same size, so if you're playing on a gigantic (earth) map, it implies a gigantic moon map, which is suspect might be rather tedious (not that much scope for terrain variation on the moon). Of course it can be a small region of the map in the center, wi the reedy all being impassable space I guess. However, maybe it's better to have the second map be the entire solar system, and have 'islands' for each planet we want to model terrain from (moon, mars, etc.)? Of course that would more or less imply we couldn't do various potentially interesting things with the Jovian moon system, which really deserves it's own map of that kind, so I'm not sure.

One concern I have is that each of the maps will have to be the same size, so if you're playing on a gigantic (earth) map, it implies a gigantic moon map, which is suspect might be rather tedious (not that much scope for terrain variation on the moon). Of course it can be a small region of the map in the center, wi the reedy all being impassable space I guess. However, maybe it's better to have the second map be the entire solar system, and have 'islands' for each planet we want to model terrain from (moon, mars, etc.)? Of course that would more or less imply we couldn't do various potentially interesting things with the Jovian moon system, which really deserves it's own map of that kind, so I'm not sure.

That's the thing though, the moon does have a lot of variation, from hard rocks (easily moved over) to soft sand, to huge craters (mountain ranges) to areas of jagged terrain. Also, half the moon is always sunny, while the other half is the dark side, for two unique terrain sets. This was one of the toughest problems NASA faced during the moon program, was finding a good LZ for the lunar lander.

Would the map need to be as big as the Earth map? Or could it be like 1/4th the size of the earth map?

As for a solar system map, I skipped over that since we do not have the graphics for it. Final Frontier can provide the Galactic Map, Dune Wars can provide the Mars map (or any other mars mod) and the Moon can be done by easily modifying Dune or other terrains. For instance the Barren terrain can work for one type of Moon terrain. The crater terrain feature can be another.

Also, half the moon is always sunny, while the other half is the dark side, for two unique terrain sets.

This a good example of a true and accurate statement which is wrong.:mischief: The Moon turns in relation to the sun so most of it gets day and night. It does not turn in relation to the Earth which is why we see phases of the Moon. The dark side of the Moon is the name given to the side of the Moon facing away from the Earth it is not always dark there.

Would the map need to be as big as the Earth map? Or could it be like 1/4th the size of the earth map?

As for a solar system map, I skipped over that since we do not have the graphics for it. Final Frontier can provide the Galactic Map, Dune Wars can provide the Mars map (or any other mars mod) and the Moon can be done by easily modifying Dune or other terrains. For instance the Barren terrain can work for one type of Moon terrain. The crater terrain feature can be another.

Yes, all maps will have to be exactly the same size, though obviously we can pad with blank impassable terrain

This a good example of a true and accurate statement which is wrong.:mischief: The Moon turns in relation to the sun so most of it gets day and night. It does not turn in relation to the Earth which is why we see phases of the Moon. The dark side of the Moon is the name given to the side of the Moon facing away from the Earth it is not always dark there.

lol oops :facepalm: I wasn't thinking too good there. That's me posting faster than thinking for you. And i'm supposed to know a lot in astronomy...:crazyeye:

Instead of shipping in food I could think of a galactic "gatherer" unit that (while the planet is terraformed) is able to build an arkology on one tile (like a space greenhouse), making it able to get food from the tile. the space gatherer/farmer would then be consumed in the process of producing the arkology. The arkology would also provide a little protection (%defense) against the possibility of particle storms or small meteroids. I mean what could there be, on the moon, relative to animals and events on earth? Moving rocks like crystal intelligence or something?

btw I'm really looking forward to play on multiple maps, as the game advances - whole new layers of depth! C2C is the best game in the world!

So I know that over seas colonies cost a lot, but for space they should be astronomical to have stuff off world. So I am thinking the scale should be like this ...

Over Seas Colony = 1
Lunar Colony = 10
Martian Colony = 100
Solar Colony = 1000

Note that each would be able to build maintenance reducing buildings as well as sending back huge amounts of benefits especially when you get to colonizing whole solar systems at once.

I suspect we may need to add more types of civics or even a separate space category.

@Hydro
The initial idea I had in mind was more than that. In terms of the scale you gave it, I was thinking
Over Seas = 1
Lunar = 100
Martian = 10,000
Solar = 1,000,000
Galactic = +100,000,000

Sure these numbers are astronomical (no pun intended), but through the course of technologies and growth the maintenance will quickly diminish into something similar to what you have. Remember as the empires of different civs grow, so too will their power, income and everything - we just don't want to hand it to them on a silver platter. Look at the US, China and Russia, all three have ample resources to build colonies anywhere, but not nearly enough to put any on the moon. Hell, the US pulled out of the ISS to support things on Earth.

LOL! And I thought i was gong overboard. Sounds good.

Do you have some ideas for prices for buildings and units too?
suggestiob
at first stages i thing that the colony should need special building to faction.in ts first stages colony is not a city but a small outpost in order to explore the planet. as you keep building and researching and terraforming then the colony will turn in city.the building i thing are this

werehouse-very importand building
medical outpost=obvious what it does
mercenery oupost= it helps you train some mercenaries form colony or volunteers from earth
research outpost=without this the colony can research
trader outpost= gives you trade
i took this idea form games like mass effect:D

@bill2505

We already have a large list of colony buildings here. But thank you for your ideas.

I also plan to look at other space related mods and see what kinds of buildings they have.

For the most part the beginning colony will need special cargo lander type units which take a long time to build and get to the colony but will instantly build the building. Much like how subdued animals can make special buildings.

Sorry if I look impatient, I know that there is a lot else to be done, but is there an estimated version for when this will be done?

Sorry if I look impatient, I know that there is a lot else to be done, but is there an estimated version for when this will be done?

I don't know about done, but at least starting stuff will be when the Tactical Combat mod is done. We need this for the separate maps. That's not to say terrain, units and builds cannot be worked on ahead of time. The tech tree for the most part is already done. However as we add more features we may need to add, replace or remove techs from the tree to better fit. This is the method we used for the prehistoric era.

I also think that the nomad camp code would be very useful for space colonization so we may need to make that before we have a playable space game.

Top Bottom