New Buildings Discussion

Yes I have a Ninja Graphic and Button in mind. It would be around the same level as the Assassin (boosted since it would come much later). Don't worry about the Ninja Unit I will worry about that. Just worry about the building.

:ninja:

Okay, as long as you have that ready. I know unit graphics are the hardest part of new units -- non-Wonder buildings can get away with just a button, and even Wonders aren't too hard because you just need to create a still movie.

I saw this tech and the buildings associated with it in a similar line but also leading to the Olympic style sports ie both combat, team and betting sports. I would give it +1:health: for a -1:gold: maintenance, with a +.1:) per pop. I would also make it a requirement for the later arena and sport buildings. It should be free for ancient or later starts.

The only problem I have with +0.1 happiness per population is that you won't see any kind of benefit until you hit size 10. I don't think even many Ancient cities get that high. I would like it to stay at a flat +1. This makes it a fair building for a tiny city to build. I thought we tried happiness per population from the sports buildings (like Colosseum) before, and then we went back to the flat bonuses that they now have.

For health, I can't see the exercise from the Playing Fields as being that different from the strenuous life of a pre-industrial farmer/miner/soldier. During the Industrial Era, when you get more sedentary or repetitive factory and office workers, then the health would definitely kick in, but in the early eras, I'm not quite as sure. What if the Playing Fields upgraded to Athletic Fields at Athletics tech? The only buildings we have at Athletics are Public Pool, Statue of Champion (National Wonder), and Olympic Games (World Wonder). Athletic Fields would cover things like the Greek stadion.

It should produce +1:gold: with Gambling Hall or Den

We can put that bonus on the Gambling buildings. That keeps the Fields simple, and puts the additional betting with the gamblers. Some of the other sports buildings should also give gold bonuses to the gambling buildings, especially the Minor League/Major League Stadiums.

It should also have +1 :) with beer/alchol

Do you think we should take the unhappiness penalty off the gambling buildings? And just have the hammer penalty and crime as balancing factors? I'm okay with adding the happiness bonus, since the extra crime will result in extra unhappiness through that mechanic.

I could always up the Toy Maker and Toy Factory up one gold so as you upgrade it gets more gold.

EDIT: Done. Tweaked them to ...

Toy Maker = +1 :) +2 :gold: +2 :culture:
Toy Factory = +1 :) +3 :gold: +3 :culture:

Now the Toy Carver can have +1 :) +1 :gold: +1 :culture:

EDIT2: Moved Toys resource to Board Games tech instead of Guilds tech.

Okay, thanks for fixing the Toys resource and I can put +1 gold on the Toy Carver. I'll go ahead and put the +1 culture innately instead of waiting for Aristocracy tech.

Absolutely the right way to go about it... just gotta make sure it does deactivate when the civic isn't the current selection. Seems like some buildings do and others don't so there must be a boolean in there that controls that somewhere in the building tags right?

I think civic buildings completely disappear when you switch civics. I know that my Religious civic path is generally Folklore (off the Golden Age from Cave Dwelling) -> Divine Cult (until I can build Tlaloc's Altar) -> State Church (until I build Alamut) -> Free Church. When I switch from State Church to Free Church, Alamut completely vanishes. It doesn't even show up on the F8 Wonder screen, but it does take up a Wonder slot. If someone reports a major problem, I can always tweak the Council.

For health, I can't see the exercise from the Playing Fields as being that different from the strenuous life of a pre-industrial farmer/miner/soldier. During the Industrial Era, when you get more sedentary or repetitive factory and office workers, then the health would definitely kick in, but in the early eras, I'm not quite as sure.

For the earlier eras it is the relaxation, time away from the hard grind that gives the health benefit.

BTW, my computer seems to be OK again so I hope to start contributing again, starting with all the new terrain stuff for multi maps.

For the earlier eras it is the relaxation, time away from the hard grind that gives the health benefit.

I associate relaxation with happiness, not health. I'm also not that comfortable with putting both bonuses on a Prehistoric building because then it feels like the Playing Fields is too easy a solution to both happiness and health problems. On top of that, I can't help but wonder about a negative health effect from injuries that might not be adequately treated (given the medicine of the time).

I think that an Athletics Field building is the way to go here. I noticed that the Public Pool also requires Sanitation in addition to Athletics, so researching Athletics technology doesn't actually give you any non-Wonder sports buildings! So once you get Athletics technology, then you can upgrade your Playing Fields to Athletic Fields and get both +1 happy and +1 health at a slightly steeper cost (50 hammers, vs. 20 for Playing Fields).

View attachment 328615

What do you think of this?

It should produce +1:gold: with Gambling Hall or Den

I was thinking about this, and I'm not sure it can even be done in the current code. I don't think two buildings can connect for a commerce bonus in a city. Do you know of any buildings that have this ability?

I was thinking about this, and I'm not sure it can even be done in the current code. I don't think two buildings can connect for a commerce bonus in a city. Do you know of any buildings that have this ability?

It's probably doable via the property system (building A provides a new static property to the city [as in one that is like flammability], building B has extra commerce triggered using the new expression ssytem based on teh property), but doing so would not really be a good things because the linkage would be invisible to the AI. Better we add an explicit tag for this if you need it.

@Hydro:

Sure, here are a couple more, related to Digital Warfare.

National Cybersecurity Center (National Wonder)
Cost: 1000
Req Tech: Digital Warfare
Obsolete Tech: -
Req Resource(s): Computers
Req Building(s): Computer Network

Stats
  • +30 defense against Espionage in city
  • +10 GPP (Great Spy)
  • +4 :espionage: in City
  • Required to build Computer Security Offices

Computer Security Offices
Cost: 550
Req Tech: Digital Warfare
Obsolete Tech: -
Req Resource(s): Computers
Req Building(s): Computer Network

Stats
  • -20 Crime per turn
  • -5 :gold: per turn
  • +1 :espionage: in City
  • +1 Happiness in City

Putting this here so I don't forget which thread it was in.

How about an embassy.
It would increase your relationship with a civ and it would give you more sepinoge points with that civ. you could only make one if you are friends with that civ you can see one of there cities and they let you to. This should also provide a bonus for them.

Embassy is a diplomatic option in advanced diplomacy gameoption.

How about an embassy.
It would increase your relationship with a civ and it would give you more sepinoge points with that civ. you could only make one if you are friends with that civ you can see one of there cities and they let you to. This should also provide a bonus for them.

It is also likely an something that will be in the "Extra Diplomacy" mod.

Here is another new building I want to add after the freeze is done and v27 is released. This is the Munitions Factory.

View attachment 334763

The Munitions Factory was inspired by two things:
  • Gunsmith is a Renaissance-Era building that never gets replaced or goes obsolete.
  • Siege Weapons Workshop and Cannon Forge are required for Classical through Renaissance siege weapons, but there is no comparative building for Industrial Era artillery.

So I thought I would create one building that ties up both together. It has the gold bonus of the Gunsmith and the combined unhealthiness and air pollution of both. I put it as a building requirement for the bombardment line of Siege Weapons and the anti-air units. I didn't put it for the Flamethrower line or any tank units. I am not sure about Machine Gun. Semi-Automatic Weapons comes one tech before Artillery, so I don't want either buildings or units to be locked out. Both buildings that require Cannon Forge go obsolete at Artillery, so there is no issue with building prerequisites in this current configuration.

I'm a big fan of having building lines to reduce the total number of buildings you have to pick through at any given point, so I would like to see an upgrade line of Siege Weapons Workshop - Cannon Forge - Munitions Factory.

I did have to edit about four other files to get this to work the way it does, so I won't add it until I'm sure no one minds me changing their files.

Let me know what you think of this.

Will this also replace the Filling Factory that also provides Ammunition?

It could. I thought about that. The only issue I have is that Filling Factory is currently a National Wonder. If we downgrade the Filling Factory to a regular building, it would make an excellent replacement chain, since Filling Factory comes an entire era before Munitions Factory.

Top Bottom