C2C Combat Mod Introduction - Step I (SubCombat Classes)

@TB

Can you tweak your G doc a little to corespond to import syntax that i plan?

COlumn name should be the same as tag name you want to import. If you want change nested tag value than you must set subtag after '/' sign. Comments that will be ignored puy in /* */

So subcombat type column that coresponds to this syntax should look like this

SubCombatTypes /
SubCombatType
/* MOTYLITY */

Just as example.

I'm still a little curious about how you want this formatted. Should it be as you show there on every column? So each of my columns would have the second line be:
SubCombatTypes/SubCombatType? Then can I leave the top line as the 'category name' for our own sanity's sake? Or must I have every column start with SubCombatTypes/SubCombatType/*Category Name*/ ?

You indicated hard returns in your example... should the syntax include these hard returns as well? So that rather than:

SubCombatTypes/SubCombatType

it should be instead:
SubCombatTypes/
SubCombatType

?

I'm about to be able to move into formatting soon (as soon as I finish up with the units that have been added since I last updated my unit list and as soon as I've added the additional subcombat category I still have to include.) So this is beginning to be important here.

I've also got to push my new subcombats in the xml to the svn and that'll include some dll code changes too so I want to work in what we were talking about in the Realistic Siege thread. Those should be all done by the end of this weekend - easily. So by the end of Sunday I need the answer here so I can direct you to a reformatted document.

Also, to clarify - you DON'T need the file path columns for this to work properly? How do you then handle (meaning IGNORE) all the 'non-core' modular edit files where the units are mentioned?

Nehow... we're getting there bud!

@TB

Columns names can be with or without enter no metter. Everything that will be inside /* */ will be ignored during import. Use it as comment for modder info

So evey column name fo r nasted subcombat types should be

SubCombatTypes / SubCombatType
/* READABLE NAME FOR MODDER */

Also, to clarify - you DON'T need the file path columns for this to work properly? How do you then handle (meaning IGNORE) all the 'non-core' modular edit files where the units are mentioned?

If I understand system correct I can add subcombat types just once to each unit for all files. In this case filepath is not needed. If you want to decide in what file add subcombat types than I need filepath.

EDIT

In next week I must move out to new apartment so i will be busy. WIll be very greateful for one csv file with 10 records for testing.

If I understand system correct I can add subcombat types just once to each unit for all files. In this case filepath is not needed. If you want to decide in what file add subcombat types than I need filepath.
From what I understand you saying here, it'll just find the first file with that unit entry and put it there right? I'd rather not have those files be modular files unless the majority of the unit definition is already there and the unit isn't found in the core at all. So it might be wise to keep the primary filepath column and work from that if that works for you.

I was also wondering... you aren't going to get something like this with this tool right?:
Code:
<UnitCombatTypes>
	<UnitCombatType>yadayada</UnitCombatType>
<UnitCombatTypes>
<UnitCombatTypes>
	<UnitCombatType>nextyada</UnitCombatType>
<UnitCombatTypes>
It should obviously come out like this even though we have differing columns:
Code:
<UnitCombatTypes>
<UnitCombatTypes>

And do you have a way to blank out the original entries at the beginning of the edit process so that this doesn't just ADD all the listed CCs but actually EDITs them?

If you ARE erasing the original entries before you add the ones given to the program by the document, how are you keeping them from erasing each column that's come up before the current one during the processing?

And if you are erasing the original entries, are you having your program check the schema to make sure that the tag is placed in the correct order in relevance to other tags?

Further, will you need me to separately format just the <Combat> tag column into its own document or will it work fine to keep it in THIS document? Your comments about how to format the document setup so far seem to indicate that we won't have to have a separate document for this tag use.

I know I'm asking a lot now... just want to be very clear about how all of this will work.

@TB
Dont worry correct XML syntax is handled very well by my tool :)

Simple xml converts xml string to object array so from something like that
Code:
<UnitCombatTypes>
<UnitCombatTypes>

you have
UnitID->UnitCombatTypes->UniCombattype[0] = yadayada;
UnitID->UnitCombatTypes->UniCombattype[1] = nextyada;

SO i always work at objects and arrays. SO it is very simple to clean entire array before adding new values.

In CSV Simply Column name = TagName So you can manipulate any tag value you want but if you want manipuilate nested tag value than ypu need path to it separetred by / just like i said SubcombatTypes/SubConmbatType

In this stage of development you can decide if you want each subcombat type in separate column like it is now or you want to have all subcombat classes in one column separated by enter in each table cell.

And if you are erasing the original entries, are you having your program check the schema to make sure that the tag is placed in the correct order in relevance to other tags?

Simple XMl always put new value in the same place were it was during reading XML file.

TB plese do some manual changes in XML file in my parser and test how it work.
http://hiarte.hostings.pl/civ4

You will see that it is intuitive and smart tool.

SO yes you can add Combat Column to the same document

I'm going to need some serious instruction on that tool to work with it I think. Maybe we should catch each other in chat over the weekend to go over it. I'm finding it a bit confusing.

We can talk via skype but not earlier than at second week of November.

Import from CSV script is not ready yet so if you have better ideas about its syntax please post it here.

I suppose I can accept the project put on a small hold while I prepare some coding for further implications of the project.

Reality is: I want to be able to either give you a csv such as the one you've seen me working on if you ever check on the planning doc and have that input into the xml OR be aware enough of how to work the mechanism you're building so that I can use it myself. Either way is cool with me. The goal is to make this easier for us all not harder ;)

Let me know when you get an opportunity to chat (I think our chatroom may still be functional) and you can walk me through some examples of what can be done with your tool now. At that point I can offer some suggestions perhaps and we can further discuss what development plans you already have in mind. It's really looking like it'll be cool but could take some figuring out how to use properly.

Import will be simple you will just upload CSV to server and script will do the rest

Here's the Combat Class CSV files for import. Hopefully it's formatted as you wanted it.

Whew... there's a what... 3, 4 week project completed? Now I can get to some of those miscellaneous issues I've been putting off in my efforts to get this done.

Wait... @Hydro: Did you finish all the animal type assignments?

EDIT: Note this does not yet account for the ethnic unit type weapon assignments as delivered in the new artwork because I'm not yet certain how that will be fully integrated but I have an idea or two which would involve some coding in areas I still have yet to fully sort out. For now, we'll just go with this until something is more concrete along those lines.

Attachments

• CC Assignments.zip
    50.2 KB · Views: 78
Ok I will write script to handle it during this week or weekend.

I checked uit assigments syntax from your doc it looks good :)

Next what you can to do is redone your promotions document columns names to corespond to tag names.

So the promotion balancing for COmbat Mod needs will be another step.

BTW
Where is Koshling Iam starting to worry about him because i did not see him here recently.

I checked uit assigments syntax from your doc it looks good :)
Ok, cool :D Very cool!

Next what you can to do is redone your promotions document columns names to corespond to tag names.
Not sure I'm ready to begin manipulating promotions quite yet. Yes, very soon they'll get a full review and we'll start adding and fleshing out new promo lines but in the meantime I'm going to be taking a step back into the coding for a bit to adjust some structures for existing plans that are made now possible by the nearing application of the combat class planning document. Just going to take a bit of time to connect some dots.

So the promotion balancing for COmbat Mod needs will be another step.
True... and when we get to that point it will be very exciting!

BTW
Where is Koshling Iam starting to worry about him because i did not see him here recently.
He's around. I haven't asked him what is causing him his current distraction but I have confidence he'll get everything sorted out and be back with us soon. As he's stated before he's only going to help insofar as to look into crashes (he said at the time 'for a few weeks'.)

OH... make sure to take note to retest the battering rams again and see if my establishment of a minimum damage amount fixes our balance issue there. Once the units are addressed we can spit out some promos to back it up.

What's the next step of production with the combat mod?

Sent from Tapatalk

I've got numerous small coding tasks to do to clean some things up and enable certain dynamics I have planned with CCs still. Most noteworthy of these is the need to implement a recalculation mechanism for units so that the ongoing changes I'll be making will be able to apply to existing units in games that are already underway. And perhaps even more laborious will be the updating of the AI so that it will understand the value of a unit in a way that encompasses the unit's Combat Classes. At the moment, when it evaluates a unit, any modifiers to that unit that will come from the unit's base CCs are invisible to that evaluation process which could be very detrimental as we begin to alter units according to CC modifiers.

Very soon I'll be able to implement a few game options that utilize this Combat Class structure so far. This includes full implementation of the Early Withdrawal and Pursuit abilities under a game option roof as well as a Size Matters game option. Thus part of what I need to do right away here is generate an OnGameOption tag for our CCs - and apparently promotions too... Then go in and define some of the combat class categories I have as being only active on particular game options.

The First Strike restructuring is nearing as well. Most of the planning on the table right now involves getting us to the point where not only are the new Combat Mod strategic dynamics going into play (under option brackets) but the Equipment system is polished and ready for use. There's a couple of side branch projects that will utilize some of the adjusted mechanics along the way too.

For example:
Equipments will be carried and transported by Trade units so I'm needing to add a simple inventory system and some actions and AI to enable it. This will also translate into a more generic system that we can also use for Entertainer units so they can experience, learn or invent a 'story' or 'tale' and spread that 'tale' around to other cities which will then, once planted in the city, act like a special building as it becomes part of the heritage of the city. This will then weave into 1D property features like Culture and Religions eventually.

So along the way towards the goal of Equipment there are numerous tasks and side mods to complete that utilize or enhance the equipment system model. But ultimately, the yellow brick road is headed deep into the heart of the Equipment system and eventually I'll be locked into a very thorough and long winded effort to develop our equipment promotions.

Also along the way there, a more thorough review of unit paths and promotion lines will be in order, each being a review with a particular focus on a set of unit abilities - such as the Withdrawal mechanism review has been so far.

That is quite a large list, I have been playing C2C more frequently instead of modding, it's so addicting sometimes.

Sent from Tapatalk

I'm sorry I'm a little lost, but is this mod available to download or is it in development?

Top Bottom