Dilettante
Administrator
Browd submitted a new resource:

Social Policy: Piety - Social Policy: Piety

Piety
Faith is never identical with Piety.
-- Karl Barth

Introduction

The Piety tree is one of four social policy trees available from the Ancient Era. Each of the Ancient Era policy trees rewards investments into different aspects of the early game: Tradition rewards smaller empires that focus on population...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
This article should probably be updated as Theocracy no longer has a prerequisite. This cChanges to the tree makes dipping into Piety compelling -- founding or not -- because that is a pretty significant gold boost. If you have multiple civs competing for your cities, or one neighbor with Jesuit Education, Mandate of Heaven becomes quite attractive (again, irrespective of founding or not).

I'm confused by this comment. In version 1.0.3.279 of the game, Organized Religion is a prerequisite for Theocracy, as stated in the article. Are you referring to a version of the Piety tree in some mod?

My apologies, I had placement of Organized Religion and Theocracy reversed -- the patch was not as clever as I though! I corrected my previous post showing inserts and deletions.

I would agree with Browd that Mandate of Heaven can wait the longest.
It only benefits you when you buy Missonaries/Inquistors/faith buildings, and this is almost always after having enhanced your religion (to ensure you get your preferred second follower belief)

Mandate of Heaven does not reduce the cost of units, only buildings. I agree it can usually wait the longest. But there are two circumstances where it is attractive as your first or only policy in Piety:
  1. If two or three AIs are competing with each other to convert your cities, you probably have a good opportunity to pick up multiple faith buildings in each city.
  2. If your neighbor enhances early and has Jesuit Education, you will want their religion in all your cities (for a long while at least), and the discount applies to universities, etc.

"Since the Piety opener halves the time to build Shrines"

+100% additive production bonus only doubles your production bonus/halves production time if there are no other production bonuses in play .. And there can be other bonuses even in the early game 5% for liberty (that is usually combed with piety), Rome UA 25%..

Later on there are other sources of production bonuses workshop/ windmill / religion / factory / German UA etc..

"Since the Piety opener halves the time to build Shrines"

+100% additive production bonus only doubles your production bonus/halves production time if there are no other production bonuses in play .. And there can be other bonuses even in the early game 5% for liberty (that is usually combed with piety), Rome UA 25%..

Later on there are other sources of production bonuses workshop/ windmill / religion / factory / German UA etc..

You cut out three words from the post ["the usual time"] that explains it.
The usual time isn't being Rome, having gone Liberty, etc.
Workshops etc is an awful long time to delay Shrines (unless skipping them entirely)

Top Bottom