Stop at a certain age

well, i lost some time to read this thread, and i really like the purpose of this thread. However, i believe the game is coming out in a month, maybe two, so i think it's impossible, if the devs from civ5 didnt made this option already, they wont make it now. I read in this thread that this could be a work to the modders, however civ4 has been released a good time before, and i didnt seen a mod as you all are talking about, so i dont believe it is a good idea to let a game option that so many ppl want to see on civ5 in the hands of the modders. But of course, if there is someone up to do it, i will be very pleased to see their work, and for that i give them good luck.

I understand that this idea of a 'ending era' doesnt please all players, but i dont understand why those ppl ask here to the devs to not do it... if they dont like the idea, they simply just play the normal game until modern era, as ppl that want to stop on renaissance would play happily until the freaking era they want! And for those that think the game will be 'unbalanced' and 'unrealistic', i ask a question. Why can we always talk to a distant civilization whenever we want, i give the example: i am Russian, and i can play with the Aztecs on renaissance era... how is that realistic? Thanks

There is a thing called day-0 patching that would make worthwile for stuff like this being asked to the devs ;) Firaxis already done that with BtS, so it would not even be a novel experience....

/sign

This would be a wonderful and very desirable feature that would add a lot to the game.

I'm also one who loves the ancient and classical eras and not much else. Once those Longbowmen and Macemen and Crossbowmen start cropping up I lose interest. Things just start going too fast even in Marathon, units don't last long enough before there's something far better.

And how would this early finish option be anymore bad for civs with late perks than the advanced start is bad for civs with early units and buildings?

As people have said, the problem is that late game, the winner is already, more or less decided. This is because the advantages of all the previous ages have been accumulated and the difference between the strongest and weakest opponent is so vast. Playing on a harder difficulty level does not really help, as chances are you'll be crushed, either completely or to a point where a comeback is almost impossible.

The solution is to make ways in which the player order can be drastically shifted and where in the score/power/economic spectrum civs can move up or down 10 places. For this to work and actually make it possible to stage a comeback, it needs to be based on something different to the rest of the game. For example, corporations in BtS could have been used as a way for weaker, losing civs (less power, behind in the tech race, less land, less population) to overtake stronger rival civs. However, because acquiring corporations was based partly on technology and partly on GPP, it just gave another advantage to strong civs who would snatch up all the good corporations before their weaker neighbours had a chance.

What is needed is to give a bonus of some sort to civs who are losing in the later ages. The real trouble consists of devising a method in which the bonus is not so great that doing badly in ancient ages is, effectively rewarded, but still strong enough to give you the capability to at least challenge the stronger civs. This would be interesting for the human player for the following reason. If he is behind at this stage, it gives him a reason to not give up hope and the game, but carry on trying; and if he is ahead at this stage, gives him a reason to stay on his feet and fight off contenders.

I must admit, I have no idea what mechanism could achieve this. My first thought is to give civs which are losing badly a diplomatic bonus with each other, so that they can group together to try and stage a comeback. But this is effectively the same thing as giving a diplomatic penalty to civs for wining and brings back the Civ3 scenario where everyone would declare war on you in the modern age if you were wining, which felt very gamey.
Perhaps if you are in the bottom 25% of the civs when the civ who is leading technologically enters a new era you should recieve a free golden age or a free great person? That also feels gamey, and would not be satisfying if this happened to you as a human player.
What might just work is something similar to the quests in BtS. If they were only offered to civs who were behind, and could be completed realistically (unlike, say, the holy mountain one. Did anyone ever actually find that mountain?) and gave a large bonus, as well as unlocking another quest with the potential for another reward.

Example (set in the Civ4 world), you are 2nd to last in the tech race and generally doing badly. You have only just researched Assembly line while the leading civs recently acquired Industrialism. You, get the following quest offered to you:
"The world's workshop. As a source of cheap labour, companies from the developed world are wanting to use your population to produce goods to ship them back to their home cities. Build a factory in 33% of your cities to receive one of the two following bonuses:
+100% to all trade routes for 30 turns
or
Receive a Great Engineer and a golden age"

You then do the following, pick the trade route bonus and now have a massive cash surplus and use it to raise your slider by 20%. At the same point you get the following quest:
"Rise to Power. Happy of the services you are providing to them, foreign companies want to invest even more in your cities. Have a factory in 66% of your cities to receive the following bonus:
Learn all techs which are (at this point) known by at least two over civs"
And boom, you've caught up with the rest of the world, and have lots of factories giving you the ability to build a decent army and get the land/population you need to make sure you dont lose this advantage again.

This is still quite gamey, but I hope more fun. One could say its even realistic by saying it is how China/India/Brazil quickly grew out of poverty at the turn of this century.

tl:dr
You could imagine a whole range of quests similar to this for different eras, each with the aim of making it possible for a civ who is behind at the start of one of the later eras to take over from the leaders. That will add the unpredictability which is sorely lacking in the end game of Civ4/Civ5. I'm not saying that quests are the right way to do that, something more passive may be better, but there needs to be some mechanism to shuffle around the world order, and it needs to only be very slightly biased in favour of the civs currently winning.

That, my friend, is quite a write-up! I really like your idea of quests best than any other I've seen suggested for this late-game boredom.

I too find the modern era to be somewhat lacking, as others have mentioned in part due to (imo) lacklustre air units. Even up to tanks/infantry its okay, but anything past that and it becomes less interesting. I also find that stacks on both sides get so big it just gets tedious. You mash them up against each other, take an occasional city, only for it to get taken back because the other side has such high production capabilities.

No, the Renaissance era is where its at!

I'm also one who loves the ancient and classical eras and not much else. Once those Longbowmen and Macemen and Crossbowmen start cropping up I lose interest. Things just start going too fast even in Marathon, units don't last long enough before there's something far better.

And how would this early finish option be anymore bad for civs with late perks than the advanced start is bad for civs with early units and buildings?

That, my friend, is quite a write-up! I really like your idea of quests best than any other I've seen suggested for this late-game boredom.

To me, the easiest way to implement this would be with city states. If you are behind by a certain margin, then you gain increased bonuses from city states.

It makes some flavor sense too. City States will fear teh really powerful states, and want to help even the playing field.

I think relieving the boredom of the late game is the reason Giant Death Robots have been introduced. You won't need to micromanage huge modern armies any more, just a few Giant Death Robots that can me used to secure any of the victory types.

Plus, the Giant Death Robots will just be fun :)

You'll just get bored of the game sooner, but it would be interesting to set it on stone age and have it play out.

By core - I meant things developed by Firaxis as opposed to mods.

To be more clear: simple implementation will cause imbalance between civs, and balancing the feature would require too much effort. So I'd prefer development team to focus on other things and leave this feature to modders.

I don't see why it can't simply be an option under custom games. Civilizations with UU's that are at the end of the era you are stopping at would have a slight advantage, but this would be no different from a normal game: you have to compensate with more units. It's such a simple option, too, a mod shouldn't be needed to stop at a certain age, especially now that they are clearly defined this time around (like in CivIII)

What I realy hope is that they make the end game better...

On paper it seems good thought, I hated huge empire with lots of city that had no personality. I like it when you know exactly what is in each of your 4-5 city and were is your ''Small'' army.

Happiness and culture malus for multiple city and Ressource limit seems to focus the game on a smaller scale wich is a good thing for me. Also one unit per tile should make war in all era a lot better and I'm thinking that city state could make end game politics interesting.

If that was a argument strong enough, you would have to erase the starts at any era besides ancient ... how can you stand the test of time if you start with railroads ? :D

Yes definetly would like the option to stop the progress at a certain era so I don't have to play with modern units and just blast past medieval era (my favorite)

Doubt they will include this in the game, but you can do it yourself.

Just stop playing at a certain age, then based on the victory conditions you picked at the beginning you can tally up and see if you indeed won or someone else did. It wont store your points, unless the retire option do that satisfactory.

I usually also restart when I get to the modern era, but thats mostly because I play marathon games, and by the time I reach modern era, a day or so have passed. I've slept or done other things and I dont feel like picking up where I left off, as I keep thinking of some errors I made.

But this time I will make my choices from the start, live with them and play to the end to see how it is. I think I also will pick a random civ to play, so it will be as 'real' as possible :)

Top Bottom