Another WW2 scenario

Well of course, why else play if not to have fun? But for me it would be more fun if I could actually win the game and declare war on whom I chose.

I think if you play through you will find that 150 turns is more than enough time. You are starting in the Industrial/Modern era with the world already made and cities already largely developed... so that's plenty of time.

The first game I am playing just through the industrial era, just to give it that WW2 feel. Of course I can't build atomic weapons, but oh well. I will let you know what I think of the scenario as I go along.

and... what the hell... :(

okay I decided to try and give this scenario one more whirl even though I'm still upset I can't finish my China game.
I loaded up the map in WorldBuilder so I could edit just a couple things. I changed a few of the civs and the starting year and I think I took off the silly permanent peace thing (though it didn't appear to be there when I loaded the scenario initially anyway. ?) Anyway, just minor changes.

I load up the game and the map and try to start... the game freezes.

What's wrong with my World Builder?? :(

I made a small simple map and I could never get that to work. I uploaded it here and nobody offered any advice on what I was doing wrong.

Then I took this scenario and made some very minor changes, saved it, and now I can't get it to load either.

wtf... I'm not using some strange 3rd party program to edit these maps/scenarios... I'm just using the tools I downloaded from Steam.

Hello again. I have seen something similar happen myself actually. The game would freeze/CTD at the civ leader splash screen a few seconds after I clicked begin scenario. IIRC the problem was there were some British airplanes that were mistakenly placed onto another civ's city. Quite an annoying little thing to finally root out too, as they were not easily noticed.

As far as the permanent peace problem goes, I have always played the scenario the way Nokmirt seems to be describing. Actually winning the scenario, and in many cases most other civ 5 games I play, is not a big deal. I don't care much for the end game reward in Civ 5. Just a score and a little victory screen.

Now if there was 1 of those map sequences like Civ 3 & 4 used to have at the end of the game, then I might have had more concern for finishing off more Civ 5 games.

It's not necessarily that I'm obsessed with the end of game screen... though it's nice, if the scenario has it set up that domination victory is the only victory achievable, for this at least to be *possible*...

my main issue was that in my first game I was playing as the Chinese.. ended up at war with Russia because they are one of the few (only?) civs not shackled by this permanent war/peace malarky.. and ended up going down the path of a completely alternate history. I was having fun.. and then in my game when I was at a point that would have been many years after WW2 ended... I couldn't declare war on my "allies" Britain and the USA and complete my conquests. That was disappointing and anti-climactic.

Also, as I reasoned before, it makes no sense for certain civs to be shackled like Arabia and China and many others... while Russia is not..
If you play this scenario as an alternate history one that starts in '39... then it makes no sense for *any* of the civs to be shackled in such a manner. I mean it was only a few short years after this scenario began in real world terms that Germany was divided and at peace, that Japan became an ally of the United States, the India started agitating for independence from the British Empire, and so on. I don't feel the scenario plays particularly well as a pure WW2 scenario... so I feel that it's real value (as an alternate history 1939 scenario, similar to Civ IV's classic Earth 1000 AD scenario) has been lost.

moving on... I started a new game this time as Nazi Germany. The only thing I changed was I set the game speed to Marathon.

I very easily conquered Paris and Warsaw and Athens. I don't anticipate much resistance from the UK as I can see their islands and know they don't have much there.

Playing at marathon speed makes you *really* feel the loss of every unit. I'm trying to play as efficiently as possible. Production times are already very long, but add to that the fact that Germany has many more units than it can support (which applies a -70% modifier to their industry) and you end up with one bomber being constructed in Berlin taking 50 turns.

U-boats are super strong. One of the best things about them... and I assume this is probably a mistake... they are devastating against cities. This doesn't make much sense... but I don't feel too bad about exploiting it since their greatest weakness (that they are easily picked off by the RAF) also doesn't seem very realistic.

I used the gold in my coffers at the start of the game to immediately makes allies of Belgium and Serbia. India made allies of the Swedes and I lost a destroyer to Swedish artillery... this is also annoying since there is only one water space next to Stockholm and I can't move my Battleship out of the Baltic now without getting stuck there. I'll have to move some units and take them over when I get a chance.

The USA has been very friendly toward me the whole game. Italy and Japan were among the first to denounce me.

No problems with the Soviet Union. Japan took over Korea and Manchuria, but didn't get anywhere in China proper. the USSR just declared war on Japan, though, so I expect the mainland Asian cities to go to the Soviets.

I was trying to finish Oxford so I could get a free tech but I made the mistake of annexing Warsaw. Now I don't have a university in every city.

My save game got screwed up somehow, first time I've had an issue with that. Perhaps caused by some mods I used. Has anyone had problems reloading saves for this mod?

My save game got screwed up somehow, first time I've had an issue with that. Perhaps caused by some mods I used. Has anyone had problems reloading saves for this mod?

I know the game won't allow a save to open if all mods (those not save compatible anyways) started with are not equal upon loading. If you have shuffled them around since last time you played that is probably the cause.

Update on my game as the Germans-

By Turn 27 Germany had easily conquered Poland, France, Greece, England, Ireland, Norway, Iceland, Egypt, the Sudan, the western half of Arabia and the eastern half of Canada.

Italy finally managed to conquer Tunis in the same span of time (one whole city! what a bunch of overachievers. :p) and Japan has conquered large portions of east and southeast Asia.

Italy and Japan have both repeatedly denounced me. Meanwhile the USA has been one of my staunchest allies (their open borders allowed my navy to get through Panama and start bombarding Canada's western cities) and I've never had any problems at all from the Soviets. Russia declared war on Japan a while back... but then quickly made peace again. Belgium has also been a staunch ally from the start, though of course their loyalty is up for sale as a city state.

Once again, if this is supposed to be an accurate WW2 scenario I think it's a mistake to not put Russia and the US in the war from the get-go. If I had had to worry about war with Russia on the eastern front and contend with the American navy in the Atlantic I probably could not have had so much success so quickly.

My production has improved since I lost enough units and took over enough cities that I'm not getting the military overextension penalty anymore.

Finally, after turn 27 or 28 the game crashed... :p last autosave was on turn 20 so I don't think I'll bother going back. Even if both the US and USSR declared on me at this point I don't think it would make a big difference. My veteran units were rolling over everything even split into 2-3 different groups.

I started one more game. This time as France.

By the end of turn FOUR, I had successfully defended France and Belgium from the Germans/Italians and defended IndoChina, Hong Kong, and Singapore from the Japanese. On top of that, on the same turn I had so thoroughly beaten back my attackers that I was able to take both Rome from the Italians and Haiku from the Japanese.

Other weird developments...
1. I'm assisting the Arabs in their attack on Italian East Africa. The Arabs have a destroyer patrolling the Gulf of Aden. (wtf?? it's 2011 and they still have a crap navy. In 1939, unless they had taught some of their camels to swim, they had no navy to speak of at all and certainly not a destroyer)
2. India declared war on the USSR

I must reiterate that France is way too strong in this scenario... even though I rolled over them easily when I just played as the Germans. Maybe the real problem is that I am just too good at this game. If I could turn off the permanent war/peace I would try to conquer the world as the Greeks or the Argentinians or Thais. That might be a fun challenge.

My proposed solutions: 1. Give northern France to Germany. Make southern France into a city-state, call it Vichy France, and make it an ally of Germany. Make Poland German-occupied. 2. To balance out the increase in German power, start the USSR at war with Germany and start the USA at war with both Germany and Japan. 3. take away permanent war/peace. (obviously it doesn't take that long to play out the events of WW2 if I was able to take over Italy as *France* in less than 7 turns... so permanent war/peace is unecessary if the AI won't make peace for 7 turns)

update on my France game.

By the end of turn 21 the following events have unfolded:

- the French army has taken Hamburg, Berlin, and Geneva. The German Empire is teetering on the brink of total destruction.

- the French navy has cleared the Atlantic of German U-boats, and the navy of French Indo-China has decimated the Japanese fleet. (haha..)

- the army of French Indo-China (snicker..) has conquered Taiwan/Formosa, Dandong, and with a little bit of help from China also has liberated Korea.

- with nominal support from the British and even more nominal support from Arabia, France has completely wiped out the Italian civilization.

- around turn 5 or so Turkey declared war on France and set their army afloat in the Mediterranean where it swiftly met its demise at the hands of the French navy and airforce. 10 or so turns later Turkey surrendered and gave France a nice compensation package for their troubles.

- on turn 9 I was finally able to convince the USA to go to war on the Allies side by bribing them. They declared war on both Germany and Japan... though I haven't actually witnessed them making any contribution to the war effort.

- once again Russia has failed to take anything like the pivotal central role it played in real life. India declared war on them early on, and more recently the Chinese declared war on them, as well. They were very friendly toward me (the French) up until a few turns ago when overnight they became hostile. Given this change in mood I'll probably go after Moscow after I liberate Warsaw and finish off the Germans.

Once Russia falls and I've captured the rest of Manchuria I'll stage a land invasion of Japan proper. I anticipate that all taking another 15-20 turns meaning the Axis powers AND Russia (the one rogue state in the scenario) will be completely wiped out in under 40 turns.

..by France.

hehe

Great scenario, decided to start a new game but now no matter which nation I choose it always loads England. Anyone else had this problem?

Great scenario, decided to start a new game but now no matter which nation I choose it always loads England. Anyone else had this problem?

England seems to be the default choice. Have you tried changing the civ after you load the scenario?

I had some problems related to the fact that I had not downloaded all the DLC... but I figured out a way around this. I think yours is a different problem, though.

As far as this scenario goes, I managed to make an altered version of the world map that has more space in Europe and north Africa. I've been sitting on it for a couple weeks since the tedious part of resetting cities was still ahead. It should be a nice improvement when I finally finish though, as I have picked up on how to make xml changes much better after making the Greek/Persia scenario.

A few changes I thought of are to remove the permanent peace settings from the game, fix dates/game speed, handcuff research into the modern era, and mod units/buildings to better suit the scenario. I welcome suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Those look great, and it would be nice to be able to use them. I actually looked into using many of those just yesterday and unfortunately I basically hit a brick wall on the "UnitArtDefine" (can't recall if that's exactly the name or not) modding part. These unit art xml files are apparently not part of the regular xml database, so without being able to look at how the vanillas are put together I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Kael's guide doesn't really cover that subject very well also.

The other problem is I found my bungling with the icon graphics I had in mind to use did not save correctly (was using Gimp). Not being proficient with photoshop/gimp, I probably wasted 3 hrs total trying to somehow use those graphics/change unit icons. For now I can just go with modified civ unique units, which is something I already know how to do.

ie. give several civs unique early WW2 fighters to replace the vanilla fighter & then give several civs unique late WW2 fighters to replace the vanilla jet.
In both cases I would just use the vanilla fighter graphic.

I have attached an early version with the new changes implemented to the old map (that has been modified slightly) in the OP. It appears to be working correctly during the early game, but I haven't had a chance to test it into the mid-late game where new techs begin showing up.

If anyone wants to give it a go and tell me any issues they come across, that is welcome.

Civilopedia entries are not nearly complete, and I might add in some more unique buildings/units as well. Other than that it looks pretty good from what I have seen.
FYI: All tanks/aircraft are supposed to use oil, so any uniques that don't follow this are wrong.

The new map with additional space in Europe/N. Africa is still in progress due to the tediousness of having to reset all the cities.

I've uploaded a new version that has all the changes I wanted in right now, plus uses the new enlarged Europe map. I've frankly been a bit obsessed with finishing it this past week :crazyeye:, so I'm glad to be done with it for a while (assuming there are no major problems people find anyways).

My first impression is that it is quite a bit better than the old version. I'll add to this thread some installation instructions and list most of the changes later this week.

Yeah, I can do that. Good idea, plus it's easy to change and I have a new version I am about to post anyways. I'll just add that to it.

Top Bottom