Votes: 57 9.4%

Votes: 92 15.2%

Votes: 93 15.3%

Votes: 40 6.6%

Votes: 18 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rated 9, though admittedly I am not enjoying the game the way I used to in previous series. Considering that I usually rate all my favorite games to the highest point but the CiV I rated one point below the highest, for me that means worse of all civ series I loved and enjoyed to play. The CiV merely met below average of my great expectation from the game and utterly failed to brought total joy and addiction I used to get in previous civ series.

though I honestly like many new features in CiV and very few I dislike; like, the overly long building of units, buildings and wonders, unreasonable high cost of units and buildings which is by the way, contradicting the very essence of civ that is empire building and lastly, they took out the building of aquaduct and recycling center in favor of the idea of global happiness.

furthermore, the worse of all, is that the AI schizophrenic behavior both in combat and diplomacy which ruins the game completely.

I agree with all this. Civ V has great potential, and it's a pity they didn't work harder to realize it. And I've played all the civ games since Civ I, with the exception of Civ Rev, so I am hardly a noobie or a fanboi, as we who see some merit in Civ V are often called.

I voted 3 based purely on how the game was when it was released. I actually quite enjoyed my first play through and would have given it an 8 if I could have recaptured that feeling again in successive games. Unfortunately I can't play vanilla at all anymore. I even tried to force myself recently and can't bear to go back to the game.

I sincerely hope mods can save this game for me. (I haven't tried all the big ones yet, and have a lot of ideas of my own.)

I really want to like this game, but currently it's impossible.

I voted 3 based purely on how the game was when it was released. I actually quite enjoyed my first play through and would have given it an 8 if I could have recaptured that feeling again in successive games. Unfortunately I can't play vanilla at all anymore. I even tried to force myself recently and can't bear to go back to the game.

I assume your first play through was on vanilla and the others with the patch? If yes, why do you affirm that you voted only 3 based purely on how the game was when it was released?

I assume your first play through was on vanilla and the others with the patch? If yes, why do you affirm that you voted only 3 based purely on how the game was when it was released?

Because my second game I would have rated it a 7, the third game a 6, the fourth game a 5....slowly as I realized all of the problems I couldn't see from first playthrough.

I played many games before the patch and only a few after. In fact, I don't know if I've completed a game post-patch because it's still an insanely boring game (in vanilla [vanilla meaning no mods or expansions]); the patch didn't fix that.

Gave it a 4, because it has zero replayability, crap AI and balance issues. I think I was pretty generous giving it a 4.

Gave it a three for basically the same reason. I also think the game mechanics are basically broken since global happiness is fatally flawed.

Gave it a three for basically the same reason. I also think the game mechanics are basically broken since global happiness is fatally flawed.

agreed.

I didn't rate based on how the game plays with mods. I rated on how it played out of the box (post patch).

Rating this game on how it plays WITH mods is, in my view, a bit improper. Yes, various mods exist, but they aren't the game itself. The game shouldn't NEED mods to function properly. Mods should add flavor, maybe tweak minor aspects for preference, but they shouldn't be used to fundamentally "fix" the game. I don't think anyone here would argue that ANY of the prior Civ releases (yes, including 3) was "broken" at any time. Mods for any of those games might have improved this or that element, but the games were all solid on release. Civ 5, in my opinion, doesn't match that trend. You NEED mods to fix stuff that is just flat-out broken, and mods go well beyond matters of preference.

For example, someone could argue "Oh, well, you should try the game with the WWGD mod, since it improves AI performance to where tehy aren't all psychotic." Yeah, except, you shouldn't need that mod. The game should already operate properly in that respect so that diplomacy is something other than just another screen you click through for no purpose.

You could argue that their Earth map is fundamentally BROKEN, given what shipped with the game, and someone could counter "Oh, you should try the TSL mod." Except that (A) true start locations should've been part of the base game, and (B) the TSL mod doesn't even fix everything. You still only get a 1-hex-wide Italian peninsula, so good luck fielding the legions of Rome, buddy. England won't exactly be ruling the waves either, given that its landmass is something like 3-5 hexes or somesuch.

Mods can fix stuff, but mods shouldn't be required to fix core elements of the game or to fix stuff that is flat-out broken. That's not a mod. That's a patch.

Someone said, earlier, that they can't bear going back to the game. I feel the exact same thing. I'm glad I'm not alone in this - I tried forcing myself to play Civ V, but it's just stronger than me, the repulsion is unbearable.

Someone said, earlier, that they can't bear going back to the game. I feel the exact same thing. I'm glad I'm not alone in this - I tried forcing myself to play Civ V, but it's just stronger than me, the repulsion is unbearable.

its weird it seems to be one of those games where you just hit a brick wall at one point and you get board of and cant stand to play anymore, at least thats how it was for me.

its weird it seems to be one of those games where you just hit a brick wall at one point and you get board of and cant stand to play anymore, at least thats how it was for me.

It really was an odd feeling trying to muster up enough excitement to try and play again. After awhile, it was actually more fun to do laundry and ironing. Lol.

It really was an odd feeling trying to muster up enough excitement to try and play again. After awhile, it was actually more fun to do laundry and ironing. Lol.

I will try to play it again in a few months when if it gets some major patching, but I feel like im done with the game I had fun with it for a little while but now I just dont have any desire to play it.

Yeah me too. H8 U Brick waLL!

I'm thinking about getting some mods, and trying again. I've had a break since I registered on the forum, and I did that primarily to look for mods, and read the news.

Yeah me too. H8 U Brick waLL!

I'm thinking about getting some mods, and trying again. I've had a break since I registered on the forum, and I did that primarily to look for mods, and read the news.

this is true some great mods could help as well.

Felt the same way, and after only about 5 hours of play, total. Little things about Civ 5 irritated me, and I guess the overall game just felt....tedious. Boring. Plodding. Pick your adjective, really. It just wasn't particularly engaging.

Add to the fact that several little things just irritated me and there wasn't much to keep me playing. By contrast, I went back to Civ IV vanilla (patched), fired up a game on a "Terra" map, and was instantly sucked in. I have a theory as to why this is, but I'll get to that in a different post.

Well, I hate ironing. I am great at it, but hate doing it. I don't mind any of the other chores, but ironing it's where I draw the line.

Civ V vs. ironing... this is a really tough call.

Well, I hate ironing. I am great at it, but hate doing it. I don't mind any of the other chores, but ironing it's where I draw the line.

Civ V vs. ironing... this is a really tough call.

I don't like ironing much either but it's still preferable to playing Civilization 5.

Going to the dentist however or getting a root canal as compared to playing Civilization 5.

I'll have to think about that one for awhile. Lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've lost that one more turn feeling. :p

You never route correctly when I click.
And there's no tenderness like before when I negotiate.
I tried hard not to show it, (baby).
But baby, baby I know it...

I've lost that one more turn feeling,
Whoa, that one more turn feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...gone...wooooooh.

Now there's no welcome look in your eyes
when I negotiate with you.
And now you're starting to criticize little things I do.
It makes me just feel like crying, (baby).
'Cause baby, something in you is dying.

Whoa, that one more turn feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...gone...woooooah

Civ, baby, I get down on my knees for you.

If you would only love me like you used to do, yeah.

We had a love...a love...a love you don't find everyday.

So don't...don't...don't...don't let it slip away.

Baby (baby), baby (baby),
I beg of you please...please,
I need your love (I need your love),
I need your love (I need your love),
So bring it on back (So bring it on back),
Bring it on back (so bring it on back).

Bring back that one more turn feeling,
Whoa, that one more turn feeling
'Cause it's gone...gone...gone,
and I can't go on,
noooo...

Whoa, that one more turn feeling
'Cause it's gone...gone...

I gave it a 7. Civ4 vanilla a 7 as well. Civ4 BTS a 9.

It's more exciting to build an empire in BTS but the SOD is lame. Now the 1up is really nice for entertaining wars. Mix both of them and we will have a fantastic game.

Cities can defend themselves and you can't rush a city with 2 warriors. For multiplayer experience, this is really nice.

If only they can fix multiplayer bugs at least...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom