• the AI non-mastery of the sea

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • bad city-focus and bad automated workers

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • the AI that never pays tribute in face of imminent danger

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • the AI lack of will in mass-invading other continents

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • the AI that can't use aircrafts properly (if they do use them..)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • the denouncing. sorry but...i don't like it

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • hostile civs asking for 10 luxuries for an open-border (yeah right!)

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • barbarian ships.. eee what's their point?

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • liberated civs who call you a warmonger (didn't i just save your ...?)

Votes: 47 37.6%
  • no permanent alliance like in civ4? why???

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although all of these AI issues have bothered me at some point when playing Civ V, my biggest complaint is probably the chain denunciations. Whenever one civ denounces me, it counts as a negative modifier towards other civs because "your friends have found reason to denounce you", which by the way, is no apparent reason at all.

For instance, I was playing a game as the Romans and my liberation of Ottoman civilians began a strong friendship which saw me giving him free gifts of luxuries when he asked and several research agreements. However, once I became engaged in a war with a civ that he had no ties to, he eventually denounced me for reasons I cannot explain, thus causing a massive chain denunciation. Thus I had to build up a massive army and wipe him off the map, as any good leader would do.

Yes exatly the hole denouncing system is just lame because someone denounce you an other will deffenitly do it to just because of the negatif modifier you have been denounced infinitive circle.....

i've never seen the AI using aircrafts i don't understand why it doesn't bother people.

@ss-18 ICBM
in CIV IV diplomacy is well balanced and based on logic behaviour. for example youve gained appreciation if you fought with an AI against another, even if you had been recently at war with youre new war ally. there had been a good chance a friendly civ attacked you, because of the resources in youre territory (and according to youre military strength). most of the time, there had been some kind of reason. in CIV V, the AI is just a backstabbing psycho! another example: AI never had been that clever in war tacticts, but at least weaker units were protected! (cannons, landing boats). i dont get it why they made a complete new AI instead of a developed AI based on the old one!
@Louis
nope, and he most certain didnt gave a <snip> if you have choosen christianity instead of judaism either! so AI had been even more realistic!

Moderator Action: Please watch your language; swearing isn't allowed on this forum.

I don't know, I've had the AI refuse to pay for Open Borders if they already saw my territory. Unless you're saying that the AI gets dumber on Deity.

They also seem to refuse paying for strategic resources after a certain amount. I don't know about luxuries, but extra happiness is still happiness. And you can't trade them luxuries they already have.

Extra happiness is useless unless you are trying to get a Golden age

and you can't do that if you are currently in a Golden Age.

(Now an AI might want some Margin for Error, but going from 30 to 35 happiness is pretty pointless)

Workers! It takes AI civs way too long to develop their land. I think this is a major part of why they fall behind by mid-game when playing on fair terms (Prince level).

I think the main thing is lack of ways to mend relations. Once you get far down in relations with other civs, there is no going back. I actually like how they did relations in Empire Total War better, where each turn after a negative event the relations would get a little better. Like the old hatred slowly dies with time. That seems to make sense to me. Certainly, there's no turning back in some situations, but the player should have some way to get back on other civs' good sides.

I don't like the civs I bring back from the dead being ungrateful. Yeah, I know I'm only bringing them back for my own reasons and not because I particularly care, but it would still be nice to see some gratitude.

It's quite annoying when they denounce you the turn after you resurrected them. There should be some period of cordiality after you bring them back before they start telling you how awful you are.

This. A lot of the diplomacy issues would be fixed if this were implemented. I know there was apparently a bug (fixed in the last patch) which somehow capped the value of positive modifiers you could earn, but there are still (I think) something like twice the amount of negative modifiers as positive. In addition I think a gradual normalising of some modifiers should occur and there should be others that actually increase in magnitude over time (long wars/trading partnerships).

As for the AI, needs work on city placement, particularly stopping useless city-spam.

I think the main thing is lack of ways to mend relations. Once you get far down in relations with other civs, there is no going back. I actually like how they did relations in Empire Total War better, where each turn after a negative event the relations would get a little better. Like the old hatred slowly dies with time. That seems to make sense to me. Certainly, there's no turning back in some situations, but the player should have some way to get back on other civs' good sides.

I don't like the civs I bring back from the dead being ungrateful. Yeah, I know I'm only bringing them back for my own reasons and not because I particularly care, but it would still be nice to see some gratitude.

It's quite annoying when they denounce you the turn after you resurrected them. There should be some period of cordiality after you bring them back before they start telling you how awful you are.

YES! all this hits the nail on the head. Perhaps its not that this AI is very much "dumber" than any of its predecessors. Its these little things,perhaps, that : can make the big difference. After all Germany restored relations after one of the worlds largest genocides in a few decades, yet , your going to despise me with burning seething anger for 4000+ years over keeping a little city on the edge of your turf in a war YOU started, get off it!

Ummm. You know some of this isn't true right? Sure, it's true there's a lot of things you can do to tick off the AI. Sure, some of your friends backstab you--and more frequently on the really high levels. But you can do positive things and yes, negatives do decay over time. You only get called a warmonger if you take cities and it tells you the impact before you take them. If you hate the name-calling don't go to war. It's like real countries, you do anything internationally with your miltitary, even defend a freind, and some ppl will hate you. Especially ones that don't like you or your friend. You shouldn't expect them to understand...they don't care about you...they just want to win.

If you want permanent friends, stop thinking in the box and start thinking cliques. THis is the way Civ V diplomacy works. Pick a few friends. Have wars with them, trade with them, share your religion with them, denounce their enemies with them and they will love you--often for the entire game. If you are friends with their enemies or try to be nice and trade with everyone when wars are going on, dont' be surprised they get annoyed at you. They don't care that you're the world peacemaker and on higher moral ground. All they see is you helping their enemy. Do as they do and pick sides and you'll have good friends. I was amazed at how much better diplomacy went when I started denouncing other AI's as warmongers and acting as my current friends did.

That said: certain civs you should never count on as friends because they are backstabbing bastards every game. It's coded into them to backstab. The likelihood gets higher the weaker you are militarily and the better you're doing. aka: France, Greece, Rome, Poland, Sweden, Spain...etc. Try to count on them enough and you'll find it easier to deal with the straight-up warmongers. For instance, if you aren't right next the attila, genghis, Aztecs, shaka and war with them against their victims they will like you and be some of the most loyal friends in the game. In fact, if you plan on winning by domination it is in your interest to go to war with these guys as they won't care and will love you for fighting with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom