The Deity Challenge Line-up #24 - Arabian nights

@blatc: why on earth did you build Guilds and Oracle if you intended to win by T140ish?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice of you to keep track yourself. That should make my job easier. One more and it's The List

THE LIST :eek: :lol:

And no problem dude. Maybe to ease your pain, you should have a "claim THE LIST" thread. Where people would post their 5 first DCL win Screenshot + VC in one post ? Would avoid you digging which cannot be pleasant even with forum tools

@blatc: why on earth did you build Guilds and Oracle if you intended to win by T140ish?

To grab usefull policies for his dom game ? Especially as he probably bought most of his army with faith, policies seemed to be the best place to invest into as science would be an irrelevant choice for such a fast win. Going for such fast DomV, more happiness through liberty city connections, 2 more workers, a golden age, temple +25% gold or commerce opener + road maintenance decrease sound appealing. Or hell, even Golden Ages !

THE LIST :eek: :lol:

And no problem dude. Maybe to ease your pain, you should have a "claim THE LIST" thread. Where people would post their 5 first DCL win Screenshot + VC in one post ? Would avoid you digging which cannot be pleasant even with forum tools

Good idea, but the participation is low enough for me to not need to do that yet

I don't think I would have won this quickly if I hadn't pushed culture so hard (or replayed the map, obviously that shouldn't be overlooked).

Holy Warriors (Faith) and Bazaars (Gold) got me a LOT of units.
I wanted Camel Archers with Logistics ASAP.
GG citadel bombs help speed things up.

I won in the 140s, in part, because getting Left side honour ASAP (after Liberty) led to Camel archers with logistics using roads leading to a citadel - that can really speed up city captures!

It worked for this game, but each game is different. For DCL #25, for example, I tried my generic Liberty start, got by far my fastest Machinery ever, and subsequently got worn down by a large number of a certain UU. It was worth a try, and might have worked if it'd done it better, but quite likely I'll need to try something else.

T269 Diplo V
Conquest assisted since UU is very good and I can finish it up with tanks/bombers due to high amount of oil. Went for 5 city liberty for start and completed with honor and autocracy.
Spoiler :

T13 DF for pantheon due to visiting 2 religious CS.
T14 DoW Pedro for stealing many workers, more than 5, and also to stop his settlers.
T42 DoW on Vatican City to steal worker and to train my chariot archers
T59 Founded Islam in the holy city of Mecca, with Tithe and Pagoda and Monastery
T60 Made peace with Pedro
T121 Made peace with Vatican City, and DoW Napoleon with some logistic camel archers
T130 Finally captured the mountain city of Lyon with help of a citadel bomb
T140 Captured Orleans and opened the way to Paris
T146 Captured Paris after Napoleon build a new city Troyes in the far north, made peace the same turn. Meanwhile, bribed Washington to DoW Brazil.
T153 DoW Pedro again.
T157 Captured Rio de Janeiro with help of another citadel bomb. Wonders included Pyramids and Great wall.
T160 Captured Salvador quickly and razed.
T165 Captured Sao Paulo and razed, made peace with Pedro
T167 Pocatello and Genghis Dow at same time. Bribed Washington to DoW Genghis.
T170 Sejong DoW Pocatello, not much action with Pocatello as he's busy with Sejong from then on.
T171 Liberated Panama City from Genghis
T174 Captured Hamburg from Genghis which he took from Bismark, used as base for Berlin.
T183 Liberated Tyre from Genghis
T187 Captured Hsia, and sold to Washington
T189 Captured Berlin from Genghis, made peace with Pocatello. Berlin contains several wonders including Forbidden Palace which helped with happiness.
T198 Captured Karakorum, made peace with Genghis. Sejong was leading on tech, aiming for CV, and just completed Manhattan Project. Only option was to increase tech level since camel archers are obsolete against Sejong.
T215 Sejong completed Apollo Program.
T230 Mecca completed Prora
T240 DoW Genghis with help from Sejong, Pocatello, and Washington
T242 Captured Turfan and eliminated Genghis in 2 turns with the newly developed modern armor.
T249 Sejong completed Great Firewall and only way to stop CV is to conquer Sejong or win DV.
T250 Sejong DoW after a period of massing army near Berlin, quickly wiped them out with the modern armor with bomber/jet fighter support.
T258 Seoul falls after Lightning War tactics captured 3 other cities.
T265 Sejong eliminated after capturing Pyongyang with timely battleship/carrier support. Massive Korean cities are draining our happiness.

Diplo victory is now possible with 40/39 votes after passing World Ideology Autocracy, World Religion Islam and forbidden palace captured in Berlin, so DoW Pocatello for a few turns of fun.

In the end, only Washington and Pocatello controlled their capitals. Genghis and Sejong eliminated and Bismark, Pedro and Napoleon had 1 crappy city each.
Additionally Scholar in Residence and Art funding was passed in WC.

Attachments

• 2015-08-25_00001.jpg
    2015-08-25_00001.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 2015-08-25_00002.jpg
    2015-08-25_00002.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 161
Science Victory on T254. Most FPT ever but this game felt so frustrating.

Spoiler :

Since the area was all desert and noone else seemed to be interested in religion i thought i would try out 3 lib-piety with Jesuit Education. Settled 4 city NC and immediately started regretting going for piety - capital seemed to take forever to build the NC (miss lib finisher GE NC...) 1 city added afterwards.

Built some camel archer - second problem of few horses.... Used camel archers to take Brazil's capital (~T110) but then I encountered the third problem of no happiness in the piety tree... could have taken paris but I had no idea how to manage the happiness. Settled unhappily for 6 city and teched for a SV.

Meanwhile Sejong was going nuts building every single wonder and out-teching me. He went 4 city trad-aest-rat and I didnt catch up with him until the atomic era. He wasnt even fazed when I acquired nuclear weapons but allying 2 Culture CS and winning WF was enough to stop any CV attempt by him.

Money and faith was through the roof due to dominant religion so freedom was the logical choice. Wanted to use genghis's 17k gc to buy the spaceship (he offered DOF when i got nukes), but then he denounced me and somehow I couldnt trade for his gc. This happened twice so I just gave up and built/bought parts.

Policies: 3 Lib (free settler), 4 Piety (reform), Full Rat, Comm Opener, 6 Freedom.

I concluded that piety is a garbage tree and this is the first and only time i will spend 4 policies to get Jesuit education.

Religion: DF thanks to Religious CS, Pagodas, Tithe, RC, RT, JE. I cant quite understand how to manage both pagodas and faith Uni in the medival period before rein costs spike it to 300.

WC: WF (won), Sci funding (much hate from Sejong who wanted the whole world to dance gangnam style), IG was proposed but I dont quite remember what happened to it.

Wonders: Big Ben, Great Mosque, SOL, SOH (thought I would need another policy)

Attachments

• 2015-06-27_00003.jpg
    2015-06-27_00003.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 188
Yeah Jesuit Education is definitely not all that. I prefer when someone else spreads their religion that has it while I grow better using Tradition :)

Actually I really like capturing the holy city with Jesuit Education using crossbows- normally they have religious wonders and 4 use prophets suiciding into your troops :crazyeye:

<snip>, I'm so pissed off at this game!
Spoiler :
I lost the same turn I submitted delegates to make me a world leader!! The bloody Korean guy launched((( I tried reloading several turns earlier and made everybody declare on him, but he still launched((
I wanted to play small piety, but then Brazil forward-settled me, so I "cameled" him from the map, taking 2 cities + capital. One of his cities was taken by Mongolia, and for some reason I thought I can resurrect the jungle guy and make him vote for me by liberating this city. Whoops, apparently not, it works only with the capital. I still don't regret conquering him, gave me a lot of culture. My cities were big and awesomely productive in the end... Not that it helped to win(
I managed to pass world religion, but was still 1 vote short of winning on the first vote, even with all the CSs allied. The voting just came too soon! For the 2nd vote I passed world ideology and had the whooping 46 votes.... alas, the bastard Korean spoiled everything((
Still, I really enjoyed this map. Arabia is cool for both war and trading, and religion with pagodas, tithe and jesuit education helped A LOT (yay science buildings on the next turn after the tech is learned)

P.S. And I hoped to finally make it to the list... Well, whatever, next time :)

Moderator Action: Please watch your language, and do not try to avoid the autocensor.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Actually, it only works if the civ that was eradicated wasn't at war with you at the time of being eradicated. So if you peace out a turn before they lost their final city, you can liberate them later

Actually, it only works if the civ that was eradicated wasn't at war with you at the time of being eradicated. So if you peace out a turn before they lost their final city, you can liberate them later

Oh, that's useful info, thanks! In my game, I was the one who took his final city, Rio, so it was not gonna happen :D I now think that I should have warred non-stop from then and taken America's forbidded palace... Or get to flight and nukes and taken out everybody :) Anyway, I have no intention of dropping this game for good, I may replay it later, as Arabia is too good to not win with it :)

small piety strat fails when you have any civs that tries to win by SV, or any civs that tries hard for Diplo. Rare, but I've seen it in my Morocco game.

WL vote was triggered (not by me) unusually early in my game, so I just paid off everyone and they all voted for me because at the time I didn't have enough city states for any of them to think of me as a threat. It was a wacky surprise diplo win that didn't need World Religion, World Ideology nor Globalization so the Small Piety would definitely have worked in that situation

Sclb said:
small piety strat fails when you have any civs that tries to win by SV, or any civs that tries hard for Diplo. Rare, but I've seen it in my Morocco game.

True! I've just started the Marocco DCL with a mind to play diplo, but saw Alex and strated to science like mad :) Because he's a CS whore if there ever was one

stormtrooper412 said:
WL vote was triggered (not by me) unusually early in my game, so I just paid off everyone and they all voted for me because at the time I didn't have enough city states for any of them to think of me as a threat. It was a wacky surprise diplo win that didn't need World Religion, World Ideology nor Globalization so the Small Piety would definitely have worked in that situation

Hm, weird! I didn't even try it because it never works, they just don't agree to vote for you, however much you offer them... Were you in DOF when they agreed to vote for you?

I think so. There's a different thread about that. It's hard coded that if your total votes + 4 you bribe + 4 (cushion) equals more than you need to win, they will never vote for you. So for example, if you need 40 and you have 33, with a bribe using that formula the sum would be 41 so no, AIs wouldn't vote for you no matter the relations

Top Bottom