The Deity Challenge Line-up #35 - Siam OCC

Petra was gone T40 in my game, which is staggering, even for Deity.
Spoiler :
Morocco got GL too, so that definitely played a factor. He then proceeded to build HG on T75.
Has anyone tried building both ToA and HG? Petra is obviously amazing, but they're all on the same tech path and ToA is a reliable build, especially since production should be good. I got ToA on T30 and started researching Mathematics before I saw Petra go at T40 and diverted my research elsewhere. In retrospect, maybe I should have finished Mathematics and gone for HG as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't catch Pisa with my ToA GE before it was built, but the GE comes at a pretty good time regardless.

I built the ToA, HG, and Petra. Research is straight to Currency after Pottery so no chopping (not that many forest anyway). Had to stall Ahmad to get to Petra though.

Yeah, I sent all my 5 archers and attacked one of his cities, killed a few units and got another worker. I was also at war with Alex at the time because Ashur asked me to. Alex is far away but Ahmad happens to have a city planted close by. Not willing to sacrifice anything though, so I pulled back after a few shots. Petra was done in 8 turns anyway.

I built the ToA, HG, and Petra. Research is straight to Currency after Pottery so no chopping (not that many forest anyway). Had to stall Ahmad to get to Petra though.

Nice! You sir are a pro to pull that off!

Any idea why the hate ? Too many wonders built ?

Considering that you managed to Wonder spam as if you were playing on King, (well done, btw) that might have something to do with it.

I picked up a fair number of wonders and didn't get any hate for it. What was happening with the CS? Religion? Had you made any denouncements or DoWs?

I built workers cuz I thought the AIs were too far away for steals. How about you? Did you steal any?

I think if you've made 1/2 DoWs/denouncements, 'stolen' a CS, and/or converted their city, that would be enough for a chain DoW. The perturbed one will just bribe the others.

How? I made him go to war with Greece and DoW'ed him myself. Do I need to bring a couple archers over?

I just DoWed him and stayed at war till I built HG and Petra. But no units at his border. I have to admit that I had to chop for Petra.

And HG/Petra before NC. Still it is a gamble and you might not get it.

T295 DiploV

Spoiler :
2nd vote, 3 civs remaining by that stage. Each had around 50 cities and could have wiped me off the map had I not looked after myself. I think on this occasion I actually deserve credit for my Diplomacy. It truly was a Diplomatic win.

Original plan was a late Domination with XCOMs but frankly when it was clear that there were two absolute runaways in this game, I felt like it would be a really slow battle and one of them might launch before I finished. So I instead concentrated on buying the CS and keeping the two monsters friendly.

Early game was classic OCC stuff, really early NC, beeline Education, T104 I think, lots of wonders, religion based around growth. Made friends with Alex, Ahmad and Hiawatha. Hiawatha quickly annihilated the Western half. I set Ash on Alex (some friend I am) to get people to hate him. Morocco eventually wiped out the Eastern half.

There were some tricky moments after ideologies. I delayed hitting Modern to see what Hiawatha would take. He took Order, so I followed him. Of course Ahmad took Autocracy as usual and that accelerated his conquest of the East. We still remained friends due to my unblemished record, but I am pretty sure both of them were thinking about hitting me due to me being friends with the other and them being like the USA and Russia fighting over me (Afghanistan).

Social Policies: Full Tradition, Patronage to Scholasticism, Full Rationalism, Aesthetics to the culture boost policy, practically filled Order but not quite.

Screenshots show:

1. Using Askia's archers to help me clear a camp
2. T104 Education
3. T123 Hiawatha has 15 cities (watch this space)
4. T131 Sistine
5. - 7. Unimproved resources in AI lands ca. T123. I really wish someone would make a mod to prevent this craziness.
8. The state of the world, T145. The underdogs are barely holding on. This also shows how the gaps were filled in, which helped my religion to spread into them.
9. You can see many cities to my West have taken Hinduism and therefore are giving me a decent amount of culture, vital at this point in the game.

more in the next post...

More screenies

Spoiler :
1. Note to self: build PT early or not at all
2. Hiawatha up to 29 cities
3. Cuz I had nothing else to build just at this moment
4. The world ca. T211
5. Hiawatha up to 35 cities
6. Techs Even Steven at T225
7. Marx's dream comes true and Order dominates the world
8. Happiness starting to get REAL nice
9. The cheapest double DoW I've ever seen - I think he was going to do it anyway and was happy to be paid!

I just DoWed him and stayed at war till I built HG and Petra. But no units at his border. I have to admit that I had to chop for Petra.

And HG/Petra before NC. Still it is a gamble and you might not get it.
I guess rushing for HG/Petra might work, but it really puts you behind, in my opinion, when going OCC. Besides, somebody claims to have built the NC and THEN HG, Petra on t80 (always gone by t72 in my replays). Playing OCC without HG+Petra on this low food start with OCC is just not fun.

Also, Boudicca walked her first settler all the way to my borders, settled near Bogota and began coveting my lands. What the actual heck... :confused:

Yet more screenies

Spoiler :
1. Hiawatha hits 41 cities
2. 46
3. I lead in happiness, trail in everything else (unsurprising for OCC)
4. Turn before victory
5. VICTORY!!! Phew!
6. At the end, H had 50 cities...
7. ...and A had 24, with 22 wonders!
8. Final demographics, with a surprise tech lead for moi!

Welll. I decided to go for 3 scoutsin my bo and scrub the monument entirely. Not having to build expos i felt it was best. And i was bound to get culture ruins because of that. I snatched maybe 8/9 ruins because of that. 2 techs 2 pops 2 barbs 1 upgrade 1 culture 1 gold.

I bought the 1st worker. Stole one from a cs. Build another.

I went pottery ah and mining. 3 scouts. Shrine. Caravan. Library then worker as i popped writing .calendar and straight to philosophy and nc while going for currency. Had enough time to go for HG before getting to it. Made it in 9 turns while pre chopping 5/6 forest. Even 4 tile distance ones. Chopped everything for petra and made it in 8.

I knew morocco was going for it so bribed them to attack greece which probably switched his priorities toward units.

As for the hate... I friended ppl carefully. Denounced greece after they did and everyone hated them. Send 4/5 trade routes to morocco which still plots vs me. Friended assur who doed me like 5t later when greece and german did 2 t before. Btw they all hated each other lol.

So yeah. The dow dont worry me much. I havr units and i m popping cannons in 3t in my 25pop sukhotai but a cultural cs will fall which is bad. Not sure if i m gonna be able to stay on a diploV if the hate is so high throuhougt the whole game as i just cannot defend cses. They re too far and i can only have so much units.

But yeah. At t105 it s probably the best statt i ever had. Makes me wonder why i dont always go for 1city NC when the dirt allows for late expos

One hilarious thing ad well. Celts decided to forward settle me at t20. Glued a city to mine and i had to rushbuy some 3 tiles radius asap. When i found her Cap, i was like "WTF girl" ... AIs are crazy

But yeah. At t105 it s probably the best statt i ever had. Makes me wonder why i dont always go for 1city NC when the dirt allows for late expos

I think that if you have a defendable spot, OCC (on a non-OCC game) can be competitive, but to push for a faster victory, you'll need some conquest.

In DCL #29 I kept to OCC for a long time before building a load of troops and taking some cities to help me push science faster. I later sold them again for a culture win.

I hope Acken's balance mod will change things so that OCC is a bit harder...you know, borderline unachievable. Like a hole in one at golf or a nine dart finish ;)

One hilarious thing ad well. Celts decided to forward settle me at t20. Glued a city to mine and i had to rushbuy some 3 tiles radius asap. When i found her Cap, i was like "WTF girl" ... AIs are crazy

Yeah, and some people still claim that the AI can't see unrevealed tiles. :D In a game I played last night, I had an AI walk one of its starting settlers 28 tiles to settle Sri Pada.

Also, Boudicca walked her first settler all the way to my borders, settled near Bogota and began coveting my lands. What the actual heck... :confused:
Interesting to see that this was a common experience for many.

T288 Diplomatic Victory.

Spoiler :
Nothing really special, I used Arsenal of Democracy to gain lots of influence late game. I wanted to get a Science Win (with Diplo as backup) but I was way behind in science, AI already had Spaceship Parts, and I wasn't even in the information era.

I managed to grab some wonders I normally don't in deity, my luckiest being Forbidden Palace (with GE from LToP). I did all the RAs I could afford, but unfortunately I got PT very late so only one RA got the boost.

Policy wise: Full Tradition, 4 in Patronage, 4 in Rationalism, 3 in Commerce, 4 in Freedom. Later I finished commerce to get a great merchant for quests, and also put 2 in Honor to get a Great General for quests. I only got one great Work of Writing, the remaining writers were bulbed for quests and policies.

I lost on religion thanks to RNG. For 3 turns it would not give me a great prophet, and on the 4th Germany got the last religion. So the only boosts with CS allies were from patronage and Arsenal of Democracy. After Arsenal of Democracy I just build units sometimes even buy Landsknecht's and 20 influence every 3 turns with all CS.

Attachments

• 2015-07-12_00005.jpg
    2015-07-12_00005.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 2015-07-12_00004.jpg
    2015-07-12_00004.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2015-07-12_00003.jpg
    2015-07-12_00003.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 138
Very last vote opportunity, as three AIs needed just two more SS parts. I had only just unlocked Globalization. I had to redo last ~40 turns since resurrecting a couple CS was not possible!

Tradition, got Oracle and Porcelain Tower, that was about it. Eventually filled out Patronage and 9 tenants in Freedom. Used Rationalism finisher for Satellites and got Hubble like I would for an SV, but then beelined to Globalism. Beakers were half what I get normally out of four cities, which I guess makes sense. I am happy to get a victory at all. I understand now why it is a challenge, the third in OCC after all, but I guess I don’t really see the appeal. I was happily surprised to see the One to Rule Them All badge pop up.

6 out 6 for most demographics. Rank 12, Ivan the Terrible, adjusted score 1142, 777 raw.

Attachments

• civ5ss-dcl35-t344dv.jpg
    civ5ss-dcl35-t344dv.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 109
The appeal is that it's a challenge, and in this case one specifically requested by a longstanding and hardworking member of the DCL community. It was a reward for his help and support during my time on this forum :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom