The Deity Challenge Line-up #37 - France

Acken

Deity
There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

The map is attached at the bottom of this post !

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.

Rules:

- New games will be posted every 10 days.
- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.
- When posting about your victory, please begin the post with the turn number and Victory Condition in bold letters - e.g. "T247 DiploV" (this is so the person who updates the spreadsheet can see it more easily)

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

- - -

DCL Game #37
You: France
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Inland Sea

Extra Settings:

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Medium ?

Starting Location:

Spoiler :

Quick combat and movement are on (turn them off if you like)

Game Version - 1.0.3.279
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Spain and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Past Games

Spoiler :
Super Easy

Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangaea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval

Easy

Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Fractal
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe
Game #36 20/07/15 Assyria Mesopotamia

Medium

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangaea
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangaea
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangaea
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangaea
Game #37 05/08/15 France Inland Sea

Hard

Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Fractal

Super Hard

Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangaea

Past Games Links
Spoiler :

Game #01 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #02 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #03 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #04 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #05 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #06 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #07 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #08 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #09 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Continents
Game #32 10/06/15 England Continents
Game #33 20/06/15 Songhai Pangea
Game #34 30/06/15 Egypt Europe
Game #35 10/07/15 Siam OCC Pangea
Game #36 20/07/15 Assyria Mesopotamia
Game #37 05/08/15 France Inland Sea

- - -

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs from your computer.

Attachments

• DCL #37 - France.Civ5Save
    464.1 KB · Views: 228
I don't remember when I played domination game lately
Spoiler :
and Inland Sea map is perfect for it
so let's begin the slaughter ;)

You managed to leave the entire map exposed at the bottom right of the starting screenshot btw. This kind of gives away where you are on the map and also where the mountains are. I am going to assume this was unintentional.

Oh that would be a sweet start for a Petra rush, any takers? ;) Desert folklore too!

Stone and marble is good - I guess early masonry and maybe Mausoleum of Halicarnissus would be nice.

will probably do this one when back from my holidays. In the mean time i may have a map to suggest for a greece DLC.

You managed to leave the entire map exposed at the bottom right of the starting screenshot btw. This kind of gives away where you are on the map and also where the mountains are. I am going to assume this was unintentional.

I have no idea what you're talking about sir ! :D

Oh that would be a sweet start for a Petra rush, any takers? Desert folklore too! Stone and marble is good - I guess early masonry and maybe Mausoleum of Halicarnissus would be nice.

If that is a grassland hill 2 hexes due North, that’s where I will settle. If it plains, then SIP (unless that spoils stoneworks too).

Opened and went full liberty. Settled 5 cities. Stole workers from enemy civ. I was struggling and made plenty of mistakes :blush: .Another one invaded me prior medieval era after peace with. I got killed right on spot :( . Playing deity a lot and i still get a lot of problems.

[And Im new here, nice to meet u all. However Ive been looking around lets play and forums for a long time]

Spoiler :
Ok i slipped off my bad. I just learned about the tag here. There it is. Ill do it now ok.

EDITED: My mistake cause I have seen others post out civs too so i thought it was okay. Wont spoil anymore :X

If that is a grassland hill 2 hexes due North, that’s where I will settle. If it plains, then SIP (unless that spoils stoneworks too).

I'm intrigued with the hill west 3 tiles and trying a Petra. Will move warrior west to the hill and decide. I'm a little concerned with production longer term with settling on spot but that marble could be nice to try and snake and early wonder

With regard to:
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Inland Sea
Spoiler :
This script type results in a significantly smaller map than standard. I gave up in frustration because I only had 3 cities, and the third was very poor, but I didn't want to delete the settler. Might be a really good map for DomV, but I want to try CV first.
Desert folklore too!
My other frustration was that, even with DF, I failed to found. I retried with Stone Circles and that went better. With hindsight, that should have been obvious. For DF to work, you really need to settle on desert. The opening screenshot has two stone -- on grassland, so easy to work -- and the marble.
And Im new here, nice to meet u all. However Ive been looking around lets play and forums for a long time
Welcome!

I wanted to do an OCC with France, so this DCL was perfect.

Spoiler :
Settled one tile SE of the spawn site. I initially wanted a DF + Petra game, but did not get any of it. Gandhi beat me to both, but I did get Stone Circles, and founded a decent religion (1% production bonus for each follower + tourism and culture from hermitage + Tithe + 50 faith for each GP expanded). This was usefull for the bonus from World Religion.

The early game was pretty weak, I missed all the wonders I wanted to get. Since I did not plan on expanding I wanted an early wonder (ToA or Mausoleum of Halicarnassos). I figured Mausoleum is safer, but it was gone by T35. I continued beelining for Petra, with an eye out for Hanging Gardens since only 2 civs went tradition. Both HG and Petra were gone before I even got to research Mathematics, so I switched to beelining Philosophy.

Got NC in late T80s but Oracle was long gone. After Education I went straight for Acoustics, but it was too late for Sistine Chapel.

At this point I figured that wonders are not an option in this game so I figured getting science milestones is a priority. I got to ST in T170s, and also managed to get Porcelain Tower (timed well for Flourishing of the Arts).

After this it was pretty straight forward. Oxford for Radio (got Eiffel Tower), then beeline to Plastics (actually Stole Plastics from Persia). I went freedom, and got Statue of Liberty. After Plastics I beelined the Internet (used Rationalism finisher for it) and then Airports.

I used 2 faith bought musicians and 3 natural ones, and then waited 5 turns until I finally flipped the last civ.

For SPs, after finishing Tradition, I used 2 SP for Aesthetics , then 2 for Rationalism, finished Aesthetics, started Patronage up to Scholasticism , Freedom up to Level 3, finished Rationalism, then dipped into Commerce and some more into Freedom.

Attachments

• 2015-08-07_00001.jpg
    2015-08-07_00001.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 407
  • 2015-08-07_00002.jpg
    2015-08-07_00002.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 2015-08-07_00004.jpg
    2015-08-07_00004.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 208
Maybe I'm hallucinating but wasn't the stone on the West of the screenshot on desert not grassland?

Opened and went full liberty. Settled 5 cities.
Spoiler :
Stole workers from Gandhi. I was struggling and made plenty of mistakes :blush: .Ottoman invaded me prior medieval era after peace with Gajah. I got killed right on spot
:( . Playing deity a lot and i still get a lot of problems.

[And Im new here, nice to meet u all. However Ive been looking around lets play and forums for a long time]

Hi welcome to the DCL. Can you please edit your post and put spoiler tags around any information you share in regards to the map or civs that aren't revealed in the original screenshot in this thread. :)
That said usually by the 2nd or 3rd page of these threads the spoiler tags are maybe not so important but usually on the first page people tend to discuss start strategies based off the screenshot and they don't want to know too much about the map before they try it.

Welcome back to the site, folks. :) I haven't played Civ in a while, and this looks like a fun one to jump back into. I played a bunch of Frace CV a couple months ago and was always kinda disappointed that I couldn't justify using Musketeers. So, I'm going to follow Ironfighter's lead here and try a Domination run. I'll target an endgame military tech combo of Musketeers + Crossbows. Maybe Cannons if things last a bit longer.

I think it should be possible to get to those techs without National College, so I'm going to try something a bit weird. I'll grab an Academy from the Liberty closer and hope that it's enough to carry me to where I'm going. First 50 turns comments in spoiler:

Spoiler :
--So, workable Krakatoa, right? That's gotta be the most interesting thing about this map. It also seems like the perfect wonder for a no-NC strategy. So, yeah, I settled that. It's a very nice spot. Settled on Truffles for instant happiness. A quality unique lux in the second row. A plains Wheat. AND two hills in the first ring. This is a city that literally does not need a Monument. Cheating on the Monument will let me get the Granary up "fast", so that the city can get the kick-start it needs to turn into something useful. I'll also send a Caravan from the capital to help out. For reference, I am currently generating 15 science a turn, 50% of which is from Krakatoa. Pretty good.

--I have not rush-bought anything. I saved up my gold early, and then poured 500 into a religious CS once I found one. That got me a pantheon (Stone Circles!), and the same CS has a faith quest that I'm winning, so that investment should snowball into a CS ally and a religion.

--Indonesia is a huge problem, obviously. Kris Swordsmen are already on the battlefield. I'm pushing hard for Construction in order to get things under control. I will raze his city, and I will take his capital.

Attachments

• T50.jpg
    T50.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 382
Ok i slipped off my bad. I just learned about the tag here. There it is. Ill do it now ok.

Okay, you demonstrated editing a post, and adding the spoiler. Now, please edit your post so that AI civ names are not in the clear. Thanks!

I wanted to do an OCC with France, so this DCL was perfect... I initially wanted a DF + Petra game, but did not get any of it... The early game was pretty weak, I missed all the wonders I wanted to get... I wanted an early wonder (ToA or Mausoleum of Halicarnassos). I figured Mausoleum is safer, but it was gone by T35. I continued beelining for Petra, with an eye out for Hanging Gardens since only 2 civs went tradition. Both HG and Petra were gone before I even got to research Mathematics, so I switched to beelining Philosophy ... but Oracle was long gone. After Education I went straight for Acoustics, but it was too late for Sistine Chapel.

That so describes my game! But I am nonetheless very encouraged, since I am not trying OCC on this.

I'm going to follow Ironfighter's lead here and try a Domination run. I'll target an endgame military tech combo of Musketeers + Crossbows. Maybe Cannons if things last a bit longer.

Very inspiring early game! Nice exploit of the nearest natural wonder, I am sorry to say it did not occur to me to get it on-line early (and how helpful that could be). For my next run with this map!

Top Bottom