Medicine Technology

TomYo689

Emperor
Does anyone have any idea of what history event the sanitation and medicine technologies are representing?

Like what occured during the 1800s that would present itself as a technology in the tech tree? Are they purely gameplay artifacts for city size and researching choices?

Well, during the 1800s, most sanitation systems and general cleanliness improved. Sure, there were several ancient civilizations (and the Arabs in the Middle Ages) that also had very good healthcare, cleanliness and sanitation, but in the Western world, the 1800s gave us hand-cleaning, functioning sewer systems, and so on.

Also the field of medicine was greatly expanded. This allowed, for example, much of the colonization of Africa. Suddenly the Europeans could travel into the jungle.

I just realized the picture on sanitation means toilets..

When do you think the sewage systems that make showers and toilets possible in every house got build?

In the 1800s the modern sewage systems in the cities got build up to a level. This was a huge development of the industrial age that transformed life to the modern level we have today.

Study history for yourself, you will see in that period the whole field of hygiene made huge jumps forward. Also medicine, do you think a Napoleonic-era doctor had a clue compared to modern standards?

I cannot say which particular events the game developers had in mind, but in my hometown they still tell the tale of the big Cholera epidemic of 1869. The curious thing was, that part of the city belonged to Prussia rather then Germany. The Prussians were more orderly and more cleanly and thus that part of the city suffered much less causalities. Events like that made the people think. The cities became huge in the industrial era, so this issues were a real concern.

So, yes, I think that the CivIII sciences are patterned after historical events. At least I immediately have to think of Prussian orderliness when I build my hospitals.

Curiosity: Carthage had sewage and toilet systems available to heights up to four floors in 600 BC, it was this technology assimilated later by the romans that expanded Imperial Rome into a staggering 1 million inhabitants by the time Christ was born.

Many of this technology was lost and it was only in the XVIII and XIX century with the improvements in Medicine and health that such larger city proportions in small areas were reached again...

It is just for game play, not historical.

Well, yes, then no. Yes for game play, but if it wasn't historically based, then the devs wouldn't have placed it there, eh? I believe Pasteurization was discovered/invented around this period, which is possible why Medicine/Sanitation are placed in the early part of the Industrial Age.

Top Bottom