NyNES: Might of the Pen

He Made His Choice

Sybrus stood before the tower early the next day, feeling more refreshed than he had been in weeks. He looked over to his arm- the bandage was dry, as was the one on his head- he was healing quickly.

Around him were the surviving competitors of Carnivale: Tok-Tok, Nolan, Jiefin and Icekommander. Nolan stood still, gazing upwards at the imposing structure within which he had resided since the first day of competition. His once metal-clad arm was bare, and still deathly pale. Tok-Tok looked up with the same inscrutable expression he always wore, Strawman Hickles by his side. Jiefin stood, swaying slightly, the great stone Hungsu still resting in his muscular grip. Finally, Icekommander, only recently released from his sealed prison, looked on with a bored expression.

Bad feelings had little place now, whether by the unspoken truce of the competitors or some strange working of Carnivale, dulling any thirst for vengeance. A strange, almost anticipatory silence had befallen the island the previous night, and continued until now, the early morning.

Sybrus looked around for a moment, then stepped forward, pulling open the towering structure’s majestic doors. Within it was an atrium, with several halls extending off in the cardinal directions. In the center was what he had previously believed to be a broad structural column. However, now its sides had split open, revealing a grand elevator to the uppermost levels of the tower. Together, the group entered the great round column.

“This is it then...” murmured Nolan, scratching idly at his arm. Tok-Tok looked around with fascination at the structure, which he had yet to visit in a conscious state, while Icekommander raised his eyebrows, possibly in appreciation of the architecture. Jiefin hesitated for some time, before trudging heavily forward. The elevator sagged with his weight as he stepped in.

“Yes, whatever lies at the top is the that for which we have strived all this time.” spoke Sybrus, half to himself.

Icekommander gave Sybrus a pensive look.

“What sort of prize were you promised?”

“I’ve only heard of the prize the others on Carnivale... I was just here to... pay off an old debt...” Sybrus paused for a moment, putting on a curious smile, “Although it seems that I might be here for something more than that now.”

“I came in search of fame and treasure for my village.” rumbled Jiefin in a thick accent. Sybrus turned around and blinked- he had never before heard the huge man speak anything beyond his own strange language, other than a collection of universally-understood grunts and growls.

“I thought the prize was money.” suggested Nolan.

“I don’t need to fight for some petty reward.” remarked Icekommander, a smirk on his face.

It was now that the previously silent Tok-Tok spoke up.

“It’s all of those, those things you’ve said. The reward to the winner is a wish, a wish, a single chance to change something on a whim, on a desire! It’s whatever you want it to be, once you can imagine it!”

The elevator came to a perfectly smooth stop, rising into the room beneath the glassy pinnacle of the tower. Sybrus stepped out and was immediately shocked by the sight. He was in what had perhaps just days ago been a luxurious study- but it was now a ruin. A torn portrait of a man, tall and noble in appearance, with a trimmed beard and a golden timepiece extending from his suit pocket, lay on the floor.

With a weak ring, a grandfather clock, smashed and bent out of shape, attempted to announce the half hour. Scattered books and pieces of pottery were spread unevenly over the lush red carpet. Most strange of all, was an area completely clear of debris, in a neat radius around a collection of black metal, strange coiled machinery built into one of the walls- the only break in the otherwise full circle of windows around the room. Beside a downed bookshelf, a collection of panes were smashed out, letting a light wind wander throughout the area.

“Hello?” ventured Sybrus, gazing around the room.

Suddenly, triumphal music began to play from some unknown speakers. Tok-Tok jumped in surprise, and the others looked around for the source.

Somewhere in an unseen portion of the room, a prone figure rose from the floor and rapidly brushed himself off, before setting off in purposeful strides towards the central elevator platform, where the competitors still stood.

Sybrus saw a man approach- the same one who he had seen in the portrait- but he immediately recognized something amiss. His appearance was unkempt, his tailored, pinstriped suit scuffed and torn, and the gentle glint in his eyes had faded to darkness.

“May the victor... please step forward.”

With an uncertain step, Sybrus advanced and looked up- the man was tall- just a little higher than himself.

“Tok-Tok is correct, as I am sure you all have felt in your hearts. Every person in this world is driven by their wishes, their goals, their deepest desires. This is the driving force of the world, these wishes, and they are what my fair island is all about. Each of you, and all of those who have fallen, were chosen by each of your uniquely powerful driving spirits.

Nolan, the berserker, you escaped physically unscathed from a most terrible conflict, but mentally broken. You turned to these chemicals and elixirs, first for solace, and then for strength. You tamed the power of the unknown, without a care for your own wellbeing, forcing yourself onward through whatever fell in your way, even when you could see no end in sight.

Icekommander, lord and scourge of winter, you have fought for the sheer love of combat and with desire for no prize beyond the thrill of victory. For this, you are unique, and powerful in a way that none of your peers could understand.

Tok-Tok, child of a murdered mother, manipulator of the waters, the struggle of your purity and innocence with your twisted heritage and dark destiny is one the likes of which is rarely seen in any of the worlds. Your struggles are yet to truly begin, but when they do, we shall see the power that lies dormant within you erupt, and your father shall tremble before you.

Jiefin, mightiest son of the Huphata, your heart is pure and good, your body raw and strong. You have never ceased to uphold and bring pride to your kin, and have brought great glory to them. Hungsu, O elder being, it is truly a mighty man who wields you, and you are his great protector. May you continue to be so for many years to come.

Finally, Sybrus, the machine man, you have survived that which should have killed a man’s body many times, and would have mangled his heart beyond repair. You persisted through the terrible machines of the Vernelli Corporation when half of your body did not, their crude reconstruction, and the loss of all that you held dear- your friends, your family... as you once believed, your humanity- but despite this, you have strived to live on, to fight that which cannot be defeated, to aid those who scorn you, to live on no matter the odds.”

By the end of his speech, the man was beginning to look increasingly haggard, his eyes twitching about nervously in their sockets.

“It is for these wishes, gentlemen, that you have all come to this place- to complete a great cycle which has gone on throughout the ages!”

“To do what?”

The man seemed as if he was on the verge of descending into a nervous fit.

“To take these things, these great wishes and virtues... to make them... to make- you... MINE!”

With a sudden movement, he activated a remote in his pocket, and the black machine in the wall buzzed to life. In an instant, the competitors collapsed to the ground, writhing as the terrible thing seemed to scour away their psychological interiors, draining them into itself.

Sybrus, thrashing about, saw several others around doing the same around him. All were on the floor save Icekommander, who simply stood still, frozen in place. Hungsu lay where it had fallen- Sybrus could not even begin to wonder what was happening within its’ mind.

Desperately straining, the cyborg clenched his teeth and raised his head up to stare at the bearded man.

“What are you doing!?” he gasped.

“I am taking my wish! My beautiful daughter will be back, these years of my work will not be wasted!”

Sybrus collapsed back to the floor, feeling as if he was clenching down on something within himself, keeping it from being drawn out. His minds raced through the implications of the man’s words.

“Wait! If-” Sybrus struggled to speak, “You had the power of a wish, you would waste it to alter a single life!?”

“The power of all of the spirits on this island, of all the competitors...” raved the man, “I need it!”

“No! If this power- argh!” Sybrus groaned in pain as the dark machines surged, “Is real, you are squandering it!”

“You will not kill her again!”

“But- you’d- kill- millions, just to save a single person!”

“It’s my wish!” bellowed the man, now barely audible above the roaring machines.

“But not mine!”

“I have taken it for my own! Now, die!”

“I would wish for all of humanity to lose that tiny bit of fear that holds them back,”

“No! Silent!”

“That keeps them away from each other, that holds them separate,”

The black machines were now arcing with energy, spinning too fast to see. A blinding light was now blazing from them.

“That fear which condemns us to our long lives, walking together in a crowd but forever alone.”

The man, now just a silhouette in front of the blazing light, screamed unintelligibly at Sybrus, who roared on undaunted.

“I would wish that we as a people could come just a little closer together, to stand up united for what we know to be right, for what we cannot do alone.”

“I would wish for us to have this strength, to unite against those who oppress us, to stand together as allies

“To bring about goodness in the world, to bring an end to the forces of repression and isolation,”

“To bring about an end to cruel indifference! That would be my wish.”

“Nooooo!”

The man screamed, flailing his arms in the air. The machines froze with a crash, and the energy which they were absorbing flooded out. Sybrus felt as if he were whole again, at least in spirit if not in body- and similar gasps of relief were heard around the room.

Looking up, Sybrus saw the man standing hunched, his face a twisted mask of madness and grief. He cried out, thrashing and sobbing. Sybrus opened his mouth to speak, but the man was lost to the world. His eyes suddenly fixed on the broken window pane, dilating to pinpricks. His mouth fell open, gibbering, while his hands writhed together. Then, he launched himself. With an incredible sprint, he hurled his body towards the window, smashing through the glass and falling, screaming, out of sight.

The competitors remained at rest where they were, exhausted. At last, the journey was over.

He Bid Carnivale Farewell

It was a warm mid afternoon, and Sybrus was back on the dock for the first time since his arrival. He stood near the others, bathing in the soothing light and enjoying his last few moments on the island. He looked around for the little girl who he had encountered several times on Carnivale, but she was nowhere to be found. Odd.

The survivors sat together, talking and reminiscing- it was a bizarre sense of camaraderie that they seemed to possess.

“No man knows another better than one who has had his life held in another’s hands.” as Icekommander had said.

“So, Sybrus,” began Tok-Tok, “Did you really make the wish I heard? Did you say it, or truly wish it?”

“Yeah,” added Nolan, “And what a weird wish that was- did you plan it or something?”

“Well... in a sense.”

“But really-” interjected Icekommander, “Of all the wishes you could have made-”

“That was the one that I could make without ever having to feel guilt or doubt afterwards.” laughed Sybrus.

“But that’s not the reason you made that wish.”

Sybrus’ laugh faded to a distant smile.

“That’s true... it’s not.”

“You think it actually was a wish? I’m not inclined to entirely trust whatever that nutter in the tower said.”

“Maybe it was,” mused Sybrus, “Maybe it wasn’t. Whatever it was, it stopped those machines, and distressed him enough to make him jump.”

“And if it actually was real?” asked Icekommander.

“Even if we accept the existence of ‘wishes’, any wish that vast couldn’t have had a major effect- I don’t think I even worded it to do anything beyond small, simple changes- it was mostly filler. Besides, do you feel any different?”

“Well, I remember hearing what you said...” considered Nolan, “But I don’t know if that counts.”

“If enough people believe it, maybe it becomes true.” suggested Tok-Tok.

“If enough people believed it,” responded Icekommander, “It’d be a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

“Either way...” said Sybrus, fading out into silence. The former competitors looked off to the next dock over, where many of the spectators were loading onto a ferry. They sat in silence for a while, before the faint sound of squeaking wheels began to grow.

Tok-Tok jumped to his feet. It was Strawman Hickles, riding in his ox cart.

“Ye lookin’ fer a ride, laddie?”

“Sure! Let us go!”

“I suppose it’s about time for me as well.” said Nolan, standing up and brushing off his pants.

The oddly-proportioned Tok-Tok clambered onto the cart, deftly dropping a halm hat back on Hickles’ head.

“Good bye!” Tok-Tok waved and grinned, while Hickles gave a smiling nod and set off. As they moved, the two seemed to play tricks on the eyes, as it became increasingly difficult to focus the eyes upon them. Sybrus squinted, and saw the cart disappearing down a long, countryside road, fading away into the open sea. Meanwhile, Nolan was fading away, but somehow in a different way. His destination was a gentle suburb of green grass and white wooden homes, orderly and neat. Some figures were waving to him, barely visible in the distance. Sybrus blinked, but could not find the focus again, and Nolan was gone.

“Good bye, strange men of metal and ice. Jiefin was turning away, loading onto a large wooden boat rowboat. Sybrus had not noticed the boat’s presence just a second ago, but he was by now well aware of the spatial anomaly that was Carnivale. Ahead of Jiefin was another shadowy island, a short distance away. He began to pull the oars, and accelerated away from the dock with terrific speed.

“Best wishes.” thought Hungsu, as the pair faded off into the distance. Sybrus bowed his head, wondering if the pun was intentional, then watched until he could see nothing more of the boat or the mysterious island. Now, he turned to Icekommander.

“Well... for what it’s worth, I bid you well- and sorry again for the fire.”

“Don’t be bothered by it, it’s healthy for me to scour off the old hoar frost every once in a while. You are an admirable fighter and definitely a worthy opponent. I would be happy to do battle again.”

Sybrus nodded slightly, then looked back over at the icy human.

“Are you staying here?”

“I’ve got my own way of getting off. It seems that you have yours too.”

Sybrus turned around- a mechanized hydrofoil was pulling up to the end of the dock.

“Well...” Sybrus couldn’t think of what to say, so he backed away, nodding and giving a small wave of farewell. Icekommander gave a mock salute in reply.

“Goodbye.”

Sybrus turned around and stepped into the automated vessel. He sat down on a bench along the side, and looked around at his surroundings. They were vaguely familiar.

“Nakai Corporation?” he asked, looking up at the speaker.

“No. Sveren. Welcome aboard sir.”

Sybrus Brayne nodded and leaned back in his seat, enjoying the feeling of acceleration on his body as the hydrofoil sped away from Carnivale. A chill breeze passed behind the vessel, and the docks were now empty.

The long competition was over. But for the survivors, they would move on, carving out their own narratives as they did. Their great stories were only just beginning.

Alright... [cracks neck] ... let's get this going, shall we?

As I said before, it's long, so I have no idea how many posts it'll require. It might even rival yours, Iggy.

I don't really have an explicit title. You can call it "The Ending" if it makes you feel better. I tried to tie up loose strings, in both mine and Iggy's stories as well as in Ny's posts. I may have missed a few, but I did try. To accomplish this, I took perhaps a few liberties with others' characters, and I hope they forgive me for any misinterpretations I may have made in the telling. This final story isn't Kyle's, but the carnival's, and of those within it.

I think, perhaps, that many people didn't quite get Kyle - or maybe my vision of him changed over the course of the NES. As Ny said, he sounded kinda happy-go-lucky at the start, but from Iggy's story here he's much more... well, evil. I never saw him as either of those, but granted, I had some kind of idea of where I was going with all this. He isn't evil, or at least, isn't anymore... Anywho, enough with the meaningless prose, let's get to story time.

Spoilered to keep things a little clean. I do have to apologize, this is all from Notepad via email to the forums, and the transition hasn't been kind to formatting. Hopefully, section breaks are somewhat obvious, and the unplanned double-spacing doesn't seem to be a negative to readability.

EDIT: Done. I probably could've condensed everything to four, or even three, posts... but the time required to exactly determine where to split things just isn't worth it. Anyway, Iggy, I salute you for a fine story, and wish you luck.

Spoiler :
The entrance of the park was little more than half a mile away, but it was the longest walk Kyle had

ever made. Every step caused a sparks of pain to travel from his leg, his ribs, his head. His head was

the worst - nothing creates a worse migraine than gunfire, repeated explosions, thrown rocks, moral

dilemmas and terrifying self-realizations. Plus, he'd ran out of aspirin two fights ago.

Every second was an eternity, under those conditions.

He could feel his enemy nearby. His competition was there too, but that wasn't really important. That

particular problem would soon solve itself; Kyle's concerns had recently changed. Poor James. He'd

been a better teacher than painter.

The park entrance became visible, as he turned onto the final street. Only a couple hundred feet and an

open gateway barred his path. Or, at least, *visibly* barred it; he rather suspected there were a few

other barricades of one nature or another. Ten more steps, then Kyle stopped.

He was in the middle of the street. This area of the park hadn't been fought over, and of all the great

terrors only age had ravaged this place. Cracks ran everywhere, and grass grew and spread them further.

Some of the buildings were hal-collapsed, others were merely dull from too much sun and wind. Kyle

closed his eyes.

He could feel the shotgun in his hands, and his last pistol at his belt. The wooden stock was smooth to

his touch. He almost felt as if the weight of the guns were the only thing keeping him from floating

off; gravity no longer touched him. Even the wind and sun that were so effectively destroying the

buildings around him barely affected him, now.

He turned around.

He opened his eyes.

Sybrus had been tailing this man for seven blocks now, apparently unnoticed since Kyle had done nothing

to indicate he felt threatened. He wanted to attack, but... he'd walked past the remnants of the

Splotch. That man had been a superhero, and this person before him had somehow killed even a hero.

And, apparently, James... an innocent to all this, and certainly undeserving of the ending he'd got.

Sybrus wasn't a fan of killing, but this beast probably deserved it should an accident happen. All he

needed was a chance, and now one was before him.

He pushed, *hard*, off his mechanical leg, vaulting thirty feet ahead and covering half the distance

between them in that bound.

Kyle saw the incoming attack, and smiled. He raised the shotgun, and pulled the trigger.

Sybrus realized, a second too late. He tried to turn his rush, but flesh is weaker than metal. His

physical foot wasn't strong enough to do anything but turn a sprint into a fall...

-click-

The shotgun was empty. Kyle had unloaded it beneath the ferris wheel, after his last encounter. It had

done its job, though; the attack had stalled, and Sybrus twisted into a painful-looking roll before

him. Kyle dropped the shotgun, and withdrew his pistol.

He turned away from the cyborg, just in time to see the woman fall from the highest story of the

gatehouse tower. Apparently, the "decorative" castle structure up above the viewing platform had

residents, one of which experienced an acceleration of roughly 9.8 meters per second squared for a

couple seconds, followed by a much greater acceleration for a much shorter time.

"Huh." Kyle holstered his pistol, and ignoring the doubly-flummoxed man behind him, continued his walk.

Sybrus wasn't sure what to do. Kyle, obviously, had no intention of fighting him...

Spoiler :
The bottom of the observation tower had another of those intercoms. Unlike the last time Kyle had

encountered one, this one deigned to speak to him.

"Mr... uh, Kyle, is it?"

He ignored the speaking, and instead looked at the obviously locked door in front of him. Locked with

chains. Very security-conscious.

"I believe you do not understand the rules of this competition, sir. You must finish this round."

Kyle shoved the barrel of his pistol into a likely link, and twisted. It gave, a bit. He twisted

harder.

"Your foe lies behind you, sir. He is about to attack."

The link gave, and Kyle entered the tower. He headed to the nearest stair, and the intercom's voice

faded quickly. There was a small click of metal on metal as well, and Kyle smiled.

Sybrus took a moment to examine the remains of the fallen person. It looked to be a woman, but the

remains weren't very... pleasant, and he didn't want to look all that closely.

The intercom, for some reason, didn't speak as he passed.

There were a lot of stairs. He didn't bother counting.

That damned rock. First it surrenders on his behalf, and NOW...

Why was there a dead lady in front of him?

<That's odd.> he thought. <I shouldn't be thinking right now.>

<Wait... If I'm thinking... HAHAHA!!! That stupid b*****d was wrong! *I* win, b***h!>

<That's odd.> he thought. <I shouldn't be thinking right now.>

<I need a drink.>

It hurt. All over. The worst hangover ever, combined with the worst withdrawal... He needed, at the

very least, a drink.

He heard a metal click.

There are many mysteries to the universe; there are many other mysteries in other universes.

One such mystery was that a pure black substance that covered a disturbingly large amount of square

footage was emitting particles, in obvious communicative patterns. Another mystery was how that

disturbingly large square footage was slowly, but surely, getting smaller.

<I'm gonna get you, you evil prick. Just give me... eight more minutes. THEN YOU'RE MINE!>

Another mystery was that the red substance that lay beneath the black one. It wasn't doing anything.

This was odd, since at one point much of it had spent it's time sending particles hither and thither in

communicative patterns.

A third mystery was the clear, colorless substance that was above both the red and black substances.

There was a volume of it that was both sending particles in obvious commicative patterns, and slowly but

surely getting smaller.

<I hope they serve beer in hell.>

Up the stairs, or down them?

:UP.:

Of course the giant rock would say up. It didn't have to walk.

The previously remarked-upon volume of clear, colorless substance had, through some sort of

otherworlding physics (or magic, whatever), become slightly less clear and colorless. It was now

roughly man-shaped, and roughly man-dressed-in-drab-clothing-colored. It was also slowly drifting up.

<Am I dead? I don't want to be dead and stuck *here*. Send me to purgatory, or something.>

The drift translated from up to over, and the volume's speed increased drastically.

<Oooh! NOW where am I going?>

The area of the man-shape that would contain eyes in a normal man shifted a bit, and became a bit more

colored.

<That looks like the gatehouse.>

The volume, which henceforth will be called "James", since it is now the most "James"-like thing in this

universe, traveled for a bit. Soon enough, it came to the tower's bottom.

And stopped.

<Huh. That lady sure took her fall better than I did... although I guess she didn't have to worry about

explosions, either. Whatever. Let's get this train rolling! Afterlife, here I come!>

James didn't move.

<Dammit.>

The lady didn't look like she was getting up. Or getting "spiritized", or whatever the heck he was now.

<Well this sucks. No one to talk to, even.>

"You look like hell." Sybrus cheerfully greeted Nolan.

"F**K OFF!"

"Hey, I'm just trying to help." Sybrus poked at the larger man, who at first glanced looked rather like

he was melting into the floor. "Seriously, though, you don't look good at all."

"Perhaps that has something to do with you smashing a half-dozen highly reactive chemicals into my face.

Or the fact that some of those chemicals are pretty much vital to my continued well-being at this point

in my life, and I no longer have access to any of them."

"Perhaps." Sybrus looked around. "But I bet a walk would do you good!"

"A *walk*? I can barely talk. Hell, I wouldn't be talking if I didn't' hope the effort would kill me.

Now, could you kindly leave and go F**K yourself?"

"Nope." Sybrus smiled. "I'm getting you on your feet, and we're going to take a walk."

"I hate you. First you don't kill me properly, and now you want to kill me inproperly. Burn in hell."

Nolan shrugged, and his body painfully turned away from the cyborg. "Lemme die in peace."

Sybrus picked up something from the floor, and shook it. A liquid sloshing sound pierced the dungeon.

"Or, we could go for a walk..."

Spoiler :
Top floor. The door was open. A man stood inside it.

"Well. Mr. Kyle. I suppose I have to let you enter, hmm?" With a smile that looked almost a grimace,

the man stood back as Kyle walked past him. "You can take the blue chair."

The room beyond was a rather average study, filled with books and a handful of lounge chairs for reading

them. A desk stood in the corner, and two of the walls had doorways to rooms beyond. The last side had

a recently broken window overlooking the carnival.

Kyle saw the blue chair. It wasn't one of the lounge chairs, but rather a psychologist's lounge. He

gave a snort, but lay in it regardless.

The other man took a chair facing the lounge, instead of the normal location behind it.

"So... Mr. Kyle... what is it you wanted from me?"

"I want to concede. The other guy can win."

The other man gave an overelaborate expression of shock. "But Mr. Kyle! You've already come so far...

certainly to give up now would be a waste of your efforts?"

"Not really. They weren't exactly my efforts to begin with. You'd know more about that, I imagine."

The other man's face swiftly returned to impassiveness. "I don't know what you're talking about. I

have interfered with no one in this competition."

Kyle rose an eyebrow. "No, of course not. Everyone here is acting of their own free will, and all

joined voluntarily. Cut that bulls**t. You had a very good reason to get all these people here, from

whatever twisted corners of the world, and probably twisted corners of other worlds."

"Mr. Kyle, while I can not personally vouch for some of my associates, I promise you-"

"No. Here's what I promise *you*. Whatever you wanted to happen here, won't. You see, I realized

something before the last round: I want to win this competition. Not because I believe there's a

reward, not because I want to live through it, not because I'm the type to drive myself to victory. No,

I want to win to see you lose, because as much of an a**hole I am you're something much worse: a man

who will stop at nothing to make others pay the cost of what he owes. I have my sins, I pay for them...

but you, sir, have your sins and want others to take the cost. F**k that. I'm not your Jesus, and I

strongly suspect that even the good Lord would hesistate to pay the price you've racked up for

yourself."

There was silence, for a minute.

"...you assume much, Mr. Kyle. You assume very much."

"Damn right I do."

"I'm afraid, though, that in my case you assume too much." The other man leaned back, and tented his

fingers. "You see, Mr. Kyle, I'm not asking anyone here to take my place in anything. We are not so

different, you and I: we have our honor, no matter how twisted, and just as you I don't hesitate to

take my punishments. No, Mr. Kyle, I would not ask anyone here to take my place. However..."

His eyes flashed. "That doesn't mean I won't make them take the place of someone who, in my opinion,

does not deserve the evilness they've gotten. Especially when that someone is my daughter.

"You have done rather well, Mr. Kyle. You certainly have *begun* to understand, which is more than any

other of the competitors here. Perhaps, if you knew even a little more, you could even follow your

instincts to the truth.

"You look around you and see your fellow combatants. Each one of them is special, unique... some are

the very dregs of society, some are the epitome of goodness, and some are simple curiosities found among

the flotsam and jetsom. Yet, each of them is very much a square peg to the world at large, which as you

and I both know is filled solely with round holes. And yet... they aren't *in* the world anymore, are

they? No, they are here, a place that is conveniently filled with square holes for ones such as you. A

place suited for you and the others. A place that, long ago, was found by my daughter. And a place she

cannot leave.

"She was a square peg too. She never fit in society. When she came here, and began her exploring, it

didn't very long before she stopped returning home. She... left. It took me too long to realize it,

and by the time I could catch her, it was too late. She is bound here, Mr. Kyle, bound to this damned

hellhole, by some odd circumstance that I cannot decipher. I have tried, long have I tried, to release

her from her binds and take her home with me, but every effort has failed. Until now.

"Now, she will return home, since I have finally found replacements."

Nolan was swearing, but more importantly, he was walking. Or perhaps pursuing; Sybrus was pretty sure

that if he let the other man actually come within arm's reach of him, Bad Things would happen.

The walk up the stairs took a good long while, and every now and again Sybrus thought he could hear

swearing coming from *ahead* of him, as well as behind. It was probably just the acoustics.

Rocks are heavy. Carrying heavy rocks, no matter how sentient, up dozens of flights of stairs sucks.

Jiefin was letting the world know that.

James didn't move.

<Hey, I never noticed how many hot chicks are named Jessica. I wonder how far I can get in the alphabet

with hot Jessica last names? Alba, Biel, Carlson from high school... D... hmm...>

He was too busy daydreaming to notice the black substance that was... sliming... up the side of the

tower.

"Nice story. A lie, but nice story."

The other man raised an eyebrow.

Kyle looked right at his pupils. "*I* think that you don't give a flying s**t about your daughter. You

might not admit it to yourself, but I can see it even if you can't. YOU'RE the one who's stuck here.

If she's the one I think she is, then I believe she's happy enough to be here. You, on the other hand,

hate it. This place is tricky; it twists your thoughts, so you're not sure about anything anymore...

and it just took you a while to realize that. Your obsession with your daughter is totally out of

character, and apparently, the only thing keeping you here. You realized that, and while one part of

you can't do anything about it the vicious part of you knows better. That's why we're here: not to

replace your daughter, but to kill her. She dies, and you can go free."

"That's ridiculous. I love my daughter!"

Kyle's eyebrow raised, now. "Of course you do. Just like you loved that chick that fell out the window

ten minutes ago, the one you obviously are so concerned about."

Kyle's hand went to his pistol, and drew it. He aimlessly wove it around. "I could fix your problem.

But that would be too good for you. You see, you're the one who somehow got me here, and you're the one

who's allowing this godd**n place to mess with my head. The problem is, you misjudged me, and so did

this hellhole. You both think I'm like you; I'm not. I used to be, but I came out the other side. I

did my time, changed my ways, paid my dues, but you didn't realize it, and so you both messed with my

head and had me kill a good man, and an innocent, in one fell swoop. And that was one step too far."

And he threw the pistol out the window.

"You deserve whatever hell you've created for yourself. Perhaps some day you'll realize that, and be

able to leave."

Kyle rose from the couch, and began walking to back to the stairs.

He didn't see the Spotch come in through the window, and *definately* didn't see the flying ink punch

that flattened him.

Spoiler :
Jiefin, on the other hand, saw the punch as he walked in through the door. He saw Kyle take it in the

back of the head, and then saw the other man calmly pull out a pistol of his own and shoot the Splotch

in the back of his recently reformed head. Apparently, the bullets he was shooting were rather better

than average, since with a single shot the inkman spontaneously exploded all over the inside of the

study.

Time to bust out the armor.

"LET'S ROCK!!!!"

:I HATE YOU.:

"PUNCH THINGS HARD! AAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!"

The other man's face twitched noticeably, but only for a second. Then he pressed a button on the wall,

and two concealed automatic machine guns came out from the ceiling.

<Son of a b***h. Exploded again.>

The Splotch faintly detected what had done it; this other fellow was shooting electronically charged

bullets, which caused rapid polarization of his inky body and, well, rapid disintegration of the same.

Nothing permanent, but it'd be a minute before he could come back together.

He also faintly detected the armored Jiefin, who was currently throwing a rather large and possibly blue

couch at the gunman. Kyle was more or less unconscious, although he was making futile crawling motions

away from the ensuing carnage.

Then came two more men through the door. One started shooting... his arm... and the other began

vaulting around on a pole. No one seemed quite sure who to be attacking, and there was a general free-

for-all as everyone attacked everybody.

<I wish AI would regain his connection. I'm so confused.>

"DON'T HIT THE GUY IN THE ARMOR! GET THAT BASTARD WITH THE PISTOL!" Sybrus was screaming to Nolan, not

that the chemhead was paying any attention. Thankfully, Nolan was at least as occupied shooting

inanimate objects as people, which kept him from doing any real damage to a possible ally.

"Jiefin! WHAT'S GOING ON! Where's Kyle?"

"AAAAARRRRRGHHHH!!!! MEGA-PUNCH! TABLE THROW! GGGRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!"

:HE IS SOMEWHERE ON THE FLOOR. HE WILL BE UP PRESENTLY.:

"What the- what?"

"Shut up! My head still hurts! I WILL SHOOT YOU IF YOU KEEP YELLING!"

"AAARRGHHH!"

"That's it. TIME TO EAT ARM BLAST ENERGY, MOTHERF****R!"

:I AM THE ARMOR. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. THE OTHER MAN IS THE CAUSE OF ALL THIS.:

Sybrus dodged a couple shots, and threw a book towards their origin. He saw Kyle, who was slowly coming

to his feet next to the desk. Almost directly next to him was what he assumed was the Splotch, who was

developing arms rather quickly.

"What's the plan, here? IS there a plan?"

:pROBABLY NOT. YOU MUST HAVE COME UP WITH SOMETHING, SINCE YOU BROUGHT THE DRUG-ADDICTED ONE.:

"Yeah, not really, I just figured he might be useful in whatever fight I got into. Perhaps I should

consult Kyle? He's an a**hole, but he seems to have at least some inkling of what's happening here..."

:GO AHEAD. WE SHALL KEEP THIS ONE BUSY.:

"ARRRRGH!!!!"

Sybrus performed a particularly clever dodge, and ended up landing on the softish Splotch. A muffled

yowl eminated from the ink.

"Kyle? Ummm... what's happening?"

Kyle's eyes were still rather unfocused, but his head shifted toward Sybrus. "That man... cannot leave

carnival... part OF carnvial... brought us here... to fight, to die, never to leave... prick."

"Oh. Are we still fighting, then?"

"Dunno... did you punch me... or was that other guy?"

"It was the Splotch. Apparently, he didn't take kindly to you exploding him."

The inkman, who was just now forming a head, gave a wet grunt of agreement.

"Not... my fault... carnival messes with your head... keeps you here, makes you act as it wants...

but I figured it out... knew better..."

"MY NAME IS JIEFIN G. HUPHATA, AND I HATE BABIES!"

Kyle was clearly not going to recover quickly. The study was clearly not going to handle much more

combat. Sybrus made a decision. He grabbed Kyle with his mechanical arm, and threw him out the window.

He continued his circular motion, grabbing the Splotch's newly solid arm, and threw him out too.

"NOLAN! JIEFIN! GET DOWN THE STAIRS!"

James didn't move.

<...>

<...>

<...>

<Seriously, mind? The only "S" Jessica I can think of is Simpson? There's got to be a hot one

*somewhere* in my head...>

SPLOTCH!!!!! There was suddenly ink everywhere.

<Huh?>

Suddenly, James moved. His head swiveled to an angle that, in a fleshy body, would result in a broken

spine. He saw the impact zone, and that Kyle was safely standing in the middle of it.

<Oh. Hello. Did't you kill me?>

"... what?" Kyle wasn't quite up to thinking yet, and being thrown out the window hadn't really helped

that issue. "Did someone say something?"

<I did. Oh... ummm... you probably have a hard time hearing me, since I have no lungs and all.>

Kyle's head swiveled to a less frightening degree, to look directly at James. He squinted.

"... oh. Didn't I kill you? Sorry about that, by the way. I haven't quite been myself lately, don't

quite know what happened. Trying to fix it, though."

<It's fine. Really. My life sucked anyway.>

"...Really?"

<Of course not, a**hole. Being alive meant alcohol; how is that not better than being a ghostly

apparition? I don't see any spiritly spirits. Do you?>

"Look, what more do you want from me? The carnival and that evil twit up there made me do it, and it's

not exactly like I can just press the rewind button on life, alright? So back off, dead guy. Go of to

the afterlife."

Doing this, the Splotch was once again undergoing the time-consuming process of rebuilding his body. He

was starting to get annoyed, since he'd had a lot of things to say for a while now but no body to say

them with.

<Whatever, man. You killed me. You win the a**hole award for the day. I think I deserve to yell at

you a little bit.>

"Hey, I killed the Splotch too, and you don't hear him screaming at me, do you?"

The Splotch really, really wanted to scream at him.

<Meh.>

There was an uncomfortable silence. Even the explosions and gunfire from up above had ceased.

Spoiler :
The silence didn't last long. The Splotch hadn't quite recovered the ability to speak before the door

in front of them came off it's hinges. A rather large part of the wall came with it, and behind all of

that was Jiefin and Sybrus.

Behind them was Nolan, and an angry clown.

[one moment...
A CLOWN! AN EFFING CLOWN! *THAT'S* THE BEST YOU CAN COME UP WITH, BRAIN? THE F**K. SERIOUSLY. THE

F**K.
...alright, back to business. Ignore the clown thing.]

*ahem*
Behind them was Nolan, and an explosion.

[Better.]

This explosion did a few things. It nearly decapitated Kyle, it did decapitate the Splotch, it didn't

move James at all, and it made Nolan's headache a great deal worse. Coincidentially, it also caused a

catasrophic amount of damage to the formation of the tower, creating a situation best termed "untenable"

for continued vertical orientation.

Everybody but James ran for it. The Spotch's main body was carried by Kyle.

They ran out the gate. Nothing stopped them.

James had floated up out of the carnage, but was slowly settling back toward the new ground level. The

body of the unfortunate lady was now covered by a frankly impressive gravestone, not that she would

probably have appreciated it. Women think wierd, or such was James' opinion.

He was bored. He was pretty sure everyone in the park was either dead or fled.

A day went by, then another.

It bugged him a little that he couldn't think of a better "S" Jessica.

Another day passed.

James was doing as was his wont - absolutely nothing, hoping for the sweet taste of alcohol - when she

came. The girl. She took his hand, and asked him if he wanted to play with her.

He said yes.

She tugged at his hand, and as she did, his legs began to move. He followed her, and as he did a couple

things happened: he realized she was quite a bit older than he'd first thought, and the space we've

defined as "James" collapsed a little more into itself, completely forming into a solid.

It turned out the game she wanted to play was beer pong at her house; James was immediately smitten.

He asked her name. She said Jessica. He never asked for the last name - he assumed it started with an

S, and that was that.

The other man woke in his study. He'd had a bit of trouble getting to sleep on the shelves that

occupied what was now the floor, but somehow he managed. He crawled through the window, out into the

street, and looked past where the gate used to be. Just outside was a little house, and he could always

hear the sound of laughter (usually drunken, but still happy) coming from it. As he did every day, he

stared at it for no more than a minute before turning and heading deeper into the carnival.

He'd find his daughter, some day, and then they too could go outside and enjoy what those other people

were enjoying.

"Look, does it really matter?"

"Yes, it does. I'll always be curious."

"Fine. You won. Congratulations."

"Oh, come on. We've got to at least make it competitive."

:THIS IS STUPID.:

"Shut up, you. Go annoy Jiefin."

"*sigh*... fine. What do you want to do?"

"Rock-Paper-Scissors, best of one?"

"Oh, like THAT'S competitive."

"You don't read minds, I don't read minds, so it's competitive."

"Screw that. It's all luck."

"It's all strategy! You have to outguess you opponent, size him up. Is he strong, like a rock? Sly,

like paper? A motherf****n' champ, like scissors?"

"Splotch, seriously, no one asked you. And now I know what you'll pick, anyhow."

"No you don't! Perhaps I was only PRETENDING to like rock above everything else!"

:I HATE YOU ALL. WHY AM I STILL WITH YOU GUYS.:

"Because we're like a sick, twisted family traveling the world together. Now, are we going to do this

or not?"

"Splotch, I'll play RPS with you."

"Why, THANK you, Nolan. ROCK PAPER SCISSORS G- HEY! Don't blast off my hand, that stings a little!"

"Hehehehe..."

"Seriously, let's just see who would have won."

"FINE. Whatever. Just so we can stop this stupid conversation."

"ROCK PAPER SCISSORS GO!"

"Oh man, I would never have guessed that YOU were the winner, -"

STORY FEED ENDS. COMPETITION OVER. FREE PIZZA TO ALL CONTESTANTS OFFERED AT THE FOOD COURT.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

ENJOY THE CAKE.

IT'S A LIE.

:D

That's an awesome view of Carnivale there orangelex. I had a great time reading it.

Yeah, it was interesting Kyle's character. From his actions in the previous story, I was building up an image of someone who had put up a fun, likeable facade, but was hiding something extremely dark within.

I have to say, I liked the interpretation of Sybrus as the irritatingly enthusiastic guy. I can very clearly picture him appearing that way to an outside viewer.

That's the interesting thing about these stories- all of them reveal the biases of their narrators, justified or not. It seems that Sybrus views himself as an embattled outcast and who strives to be a moral humanist, while Kyle viewed himself as a pseudo-intellectual 'last sane man', and generally cool dude. It's interesting to think that Sybrus' second impressions of Kyle as being a cold-hearted, diabolical killer could be entirely the result of misinterpretation of his actions and motivations- Kyle's intentions could have been to incapacitate Sybrus in the most efficient method possible with his first unannounced shot, in order to win the competition for the reasons explained in orangelex's story. And perhaps he had not even intended to fire his concealed weapon until Sybrus was winding up for his killing blow.

At any rate, it's great that this awesome NES has made it to this point, and I can't wait to see how Nylan ties it up. I hope a bunch of the earlier competitors show up to comment, or maybe add their own little finishing stories.

Yes, the multiple "realities" really make this NES what it is, and you've both understood that so well. Even though there is only one canon storyline in the end, all of the entries are a part of this world and I consider them full and valid parts of this work. Judging is proving to be very difficult, but I can guarantee you I'll have everything finished by Tuesday, if not earlier.

And I, too, would like comments from our other competitors. They're part of what has made this story what it is, after all.

Unyielding Wish

Everyone has a wish. They give us focus. They give us something to reach for. They bring about journeys from which we draw the most precious memories of our lives&#8230;memories which some might argue make us who we are. Every experience molds us. Every trial tempers us&#8230;or breaks us apart. That is simply the transient nature of these lives that seem to last as long as the time it takes a cherry blossom to fall to the ground.

Dreams fail. That too is a fact of life. All too often, they bleed over into the dreams of others, which creates conflict. Sometimes the price of one dream may be the sacrifice of many others. Those sacrifices create imbalance in the world, and imbalance brings suffering. Perhaps, then, the question is how best to juggle one&#8217;s one dreams in tandem with the integrity of others. Perhaps it is only how to enjoy the journey, without worrying about whether or not a wish is attainable. Perhaps there are greater, more important wishes buried deep within us, wishes that conflict with our desire to attain those more obvious dreams at all cost. Perhaps there is an invisible thread that ties us all together.

At least, that is what a certain young girl thought as she sat at the end of the dock, watching dark shapes disappear over the horizon. She smiled. Perhaps, she thought as she swung her feet on the edge of that place where it had all begun , my own journey is only beginning.

How often we wish for another chance
To make a fresh beginning.

A change to blot out our mistakes.
And change failure into winning.

And it does not take a special time
To make a brand-new start,

It only takes the deep desire
To try with all our heart,

To live a little better
And to always be forgiving,

To add a little sunshine
To the world in which we're living.

So never give up in despair
And think that you are through,

For there's always a tomorrow
And a chance to start anew.

~~ Author Unknown ~~​

The winner of the NyNES Storywriting Competition is:

Spoiler :
orangelex44

This was not an easy decision, and even still I am not entirely set on it. However, Kyle's story of making the best with what is left proved to be what tipped the scales in his favor. Well played Iggy for making my life a nightmare for the past few days while trying to figure this out, and thank you to everyone for making this what it is. It's been a fantastic going away present, and I'll see you all in two years' time.

DeLurk: Congrats to all, this was a good deal of fun to read.

Would anyone mind if I used this concept for my own NES. Having graduated, I have a lot of time to kill and something like this seems fun to run.

Top Bottom