Votes: 68 23.7%
  • The Red Fort

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • International Space Station

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Motherland Calls being cancelled

Votes: 186 64.8%

• Total voters
this ladies and gentleman could had been a great wonder imagine having this in your city coast giving protection and increasing your defenses significantly in the city toward attacks from sea :

I call it the Mother of the Feitorias :D

Is this a rhetorical poll?

Really, leaving out Motherland Calls after its announcment, and including Prora (not a direct placement) are the two obvious choices in the thread.

Prora the least wonderful wonder. I will be downloading the first mod in the workshop that replaces it.

Motherland Calls is a true, awe-inspiring wonder. Why couldn't the devs just make ten wonders for the final cut, since it seems that Prora was a late edition. (Or whatever replaced MC, seeing as it was used in the info to introduce this expansion.)

Prora is just embarrassing and about as much as a wonder as my toilet water...

...but I can at least appreciate its history and therefore significance to a game featuring ideology. Particularly in that it requires Autocracy. I also like its perks and the fact that its another coastal wonder.

I really like wonders that restrict you based on terrain and wish there was more of them. At the very least Prora accomplishes this

Motherland Calls being left out is actually quite the disappointment for me. I'm not too bothered with the new wonders as much as with the fact that they left out that one. Although since the assets for it seem to be present, maybe an upcoming patch will rectify that? If not then mods are our only hope.

I'm extremely disappointed that The Motherland Calls got axed...and also rather confused that the devs decided to use a Tsarist Russia-era wonder for the Order ideology (sigh...)

Prora could have been replaced by nearly anything and it would have been better.

I'm still not sure we know whether Motherland Calls was ever planned, or if it was just promo art like Michaelangelo's David for G&K. If it was dropped it would be nice to know why. Aesthetically I certainly consider the Red Fort (which I understand is thought to be its replacement) superior, but I don't think it has the cultural significance.

Overall, though, I think the only Wonders that really deserved their place are Borodbodur (the one above all others - aside from Petra which was added in G&K - I agitated for), the Parthenon and - for Civ tradition's sake (dating to a time when a lot of Wonders were selected for the people associated with them rather than the architecture, such as Newton's College), although architecturally it probably isn't warranted - the Globe Theatre.

EDIT: For what it represents in the game (i.e. a technical achievement built on international cooperation), the ISS is a good choice, I just wouldn't call it a "Wonder" in any sense - it's not comparable with Hubble as a technical achievement, and while it's not wholly true to say that no useful science has come out of it, it's produced much less than was billed and NASA's commitments to it have stalled more important space science.

Borobodur for its bland and uninteresting effect.

Stonehenge plus three Missionaries? Since the religious options you can spread are quite varied, I don't see anything bland about getting 600 faith worth of missionaries from a Wonder. I see it as being a major science Wonder in combination with Interfaith Dialogue, and ideally also Djenne.

Most disappointing inclusion; The Motherland Calls being canceled isn't really an 'inclusion' so I voted for the big bland and broken hotel that was never used, built by the Nazis. Yeeaaaa, how awe inspiring...

I pretty much agree with everyone else here; Prora is unfortunate and it is really a miss that the Motherland Calls is not included. Would have been a great addition.

If Prora's in, then why not EUR, near Rome? At least it had something interesting from an architectural and design standpoint.

Civilization 5 showcases some of the greatest wonders known to man.

From the mighty Parthenon, an enduring symbol of the legendary Greece civilization, guarded by the goddess Athena's light:

To the holy Borobudur, towering high over the Indonesian jungles while its intricate engravings tell story after story:

But nothing beats the most wondrous wonder of all. Prora. With an interior so magically crusty, a wall of graffiti so elaborately sprayed, and a slew of rooms so uniquely apartment-like [Not for rent] - it leaves all visitors gasping in awe:

Civilization 5 showcases some of the greatest wonders known to man.

From the mighty Parthenon, an enduring symbol of the legendary Greece civilization, guarded by the goddess Athena's light:

I love that we're talking about great wonders of mankind and the image we get to show off the incredible Parthenon is from... Nashville. :lol: :rolleyes:

why did they remove the motherland calls anyway? werent they able to complete it..... huh, anyway, i guess that is why one of the wonders form the DLC "wonders of the ancient world" is in. To replace the motherland calls that they axed...

why did they remove the motherland calls anyway? werent they able to complete it..... huh, anyway, i guess that is why one of the wonders form the DLC "wonders of the ancient world" is in. To replace the motherland calls that they axed...

Perhaps because Putin wanted too much of a "campaign contribution" for letting them use it. :lol:

I would have vote for the kremlin (being exclusive to ORDER? Stupid. It's new ability? Nonsensical to what it is. When it was built to when it is now unlocked? Preposterous.) however seeing as how that isn't an option, the removal of motherland calls, as that is likely the reason for its moving. Prora is a very dumb idea, but...

Actually, the development went like this: 1) Can't include the motherland (we don't know why) -> 2) Take next Russian Wonder to give it the Order effect (why Kremlin has it) -> 3) Include Red Fort in India with the old Kremlin effect.

Stonehenge plus three Missionaries? Since the religious options you can spread are quite varied, I don't see anything bland about getting 600 faith worth of missionaries from a Wonder. I see it as being a major science Wonder in combination with Interfaith Dialogue, and ideally also Djenne.

I'd say bland, not powerless. It's actually probably quite a good wonder. But it doesn't give you anything you can't get elsewise/changes the way you play, it's just more bang for your buck. And I already hate the missionary spam of the AI personally...

As for Prora, I get that they wanted a "Tourism" wonder for Autocracy, but you can really slap that effect on anything else. Someone mentioned EUR in Roma, but that one wasn't finished either (really) and a Autobahn wonder is quite a cliche (wrong on top) and just means Highway. "Party Headquarters" or something like that isn't better as well. And they're all in Europe as well, so..

I would prefer the Yasukuni Shrine in Japan as the Autocracy Wonder. It's got a cultural impact (but of course isn't the biggest architectoral awe) and though it doesn't necessary help tourism from other ideologies (see the complaints by the Chinese and all), I can overlook that. Or why not make a skyscraper in Singapore, Dubai or Astana the wonder? These countries for sure aren't democratic after all..

Yasukuni:
Spoiler :

Registering to a forum you have lurked for almost two years is always a painful and uncomfortable step, just thinking of retyping that e-mail address got my nostrils flaring... One must understand the depth of the COMMUNIST RAGE on display here, as I have done just that, for one reason and one reason only:

Motherland Calls is cancelled?!?

Whoaaaah!?! Megabummer. Low down megabummer. Lame-core to the maximum. Choosing Order just lost all flavor for me. The name of the ideology is already a skewed up, nonsensical thing. (How about Equality or just downright Communism?) That statue gave Order back a good deal of its vibe and now they replace it with... The Kremlin?!?! Which I hear, lets you build tanks now?

Dear sirs, this is a gargling bunch of absurdity. I pray to god modders will find a way of patching it up, if only the quote was already voice-acted, so it could be implemented seamlessly.

Sigh, it was a wonderful, wonderful wonder. The illustration alone was perhaps my favorite of all the (truly wonderful) Civ V wonder paintings. And just imagining that baby on a hilltop near my capitol...

Oh well...

Prora? It's OK I guess. Not a biggy. Zeppelinfeld or that giant-ass square Mussolini built would have been just fine too, it doesn't bother me. Nazis were a lot of things but wonderful was not one of them. And even with that taken into account, I would rather have an unfinished folly in the vain of Prora - like the Baikal-Ural-Magistral for example - as the Order wonder, instead of a tank-producing czarist cake.

Or, I don't know, Gagarin's Start at Baikonur. Where the Soviets sent the first human being into space.

OK, I've vented. Good luck with the modding and hey, love the forum, btw. A good read it has been.

While I love how this expansion is much more closer to actual history than vainilla civ V, which had more of a "History channel: the game" type of vibe; it is kinda disappointing to see how they dropped the ball with the ideology related wonders.

The Motherland calls is a far, far better wonder for communism rather than "The Kremlin", and Prora.. urrrrrgggghhh. If they would have wanted some type of awe inspiring building related to nazism while avoiding its more horrible aspects, they could have opted for this instead:

The Volskhalle

Yes, it was never actually built, but this is quinquaessentially nazi architecture: megalomaniac, neoclassical, huge, iconic, designed by the poster child of nazi Architecture, Albert Speer, and undoubtely far more "wondrous" that a mere vacation complex.

I rather like that Volskhalle thing, it looks so...imposing, the palace of someone who desires above all to rule the world, and really isn't that what Autocracy is all about? The fact that it was never actually built doesn't mean much, after all we still don't have absolute concrete evidence that the Hanging Gardens were a thing.

I suppose I would also be in support of the Autobahn? It would be a more wide-spanning wonder like the Great Wall, only it turns the graphic for your roads into fancy highways around your capital or something, and would give you a bit of Tourism for each Road improvement you had...

Prora just feels unimpressive and utilitarian, designed to mechanically give as many working-class people this inconvenient lubrication they call a "vacation" at once so they can shut up and get back to work. It doesn't inspire awe or feel like a wonderous part of human achievement that deserves to be lauded throughout time, just a facility used to produce resort time like one would produce ovens or automobiles.

Top Bottom