Are cities harder to get in Gods and Kings?

Andy Ore

Chieftain
I'm new to the expansion, I've been playing prince for some time and when I upgraded the game I found my troops fall like flies before the might of the enemies' cities...
Is it just me or are cities stronger in this new version?

I'm not sure if I remember clearly how it was before G&K, but I do think to remember that cities have become stronger and harder to conquer. At least harder than before, it isn't an issue if you know what to do and you aren't behind in tech, Moreover coastal cities have actually become easier to conquer since you have melee ships and battleships have the same range of artillery.

G&K made cities harder to capture via land units; but much easier for sea units.

First bombard the city with some Frigates and then have a couple of Privateers built in a city with an Armory that starts with Coastal Raider III finish the job. (Or if late enough Battleships & Destroyers in which the Destroyers started as Privateers)

Yea. YOu must have a concerted plan before attacking even weak cities.

1. Get your artillery or bowmen together. Get plenty (3-4 units) because you`ll lose some.
2. Get your melee troops (3-4units).
3.Get your arty or bowmen up to the city and get ready for casualties.
4. Attack with artillerry and bust down his defences.
5. When the city defences are less than half at least, go in with your troops- together.

Trick is to have all your armies ready and together before you attack. Then attack like a punching fist. Helps to have a General too.

Yea. YOu must have a concerted plan before attacking even weak cities.

1. Get your artillery or bowmen together. Get plenty (3-4 units) because you`ll lose some.
2. Get your melee troops (3-4units).
3.Get your arty or bowmen up to the city and get ready for casualties.
4. Attack with artillerry and bust down his defences.
5. When the city defences are less than half at least, go in with your troops- together.

Trick is to have all your armies ready and together before you attack. Then attack like a punching fist. Helps to have a General too.

Thanks, I'll do my best.

Top Bottom