[FFH] - Erebus in the Balance

That'd mean leaving only a single warrior defending Udenarat (the pillaging thing). And even with defensive boni from a hill, our warriors will get swamped by 3 promo Perp units. Beeri had 3 spare warriors to kill a skeleton, for example. I say we stick to defense, try to settle the 4th city and wait for longbows.

Yeah, you're probably right.

But if we get a couple of G1 promoted Archers, and enough defense, I say we go in. :)

I guess I'm the last to chime in - but yes, I think war is our only option. And that we ought to play defensively for a while, at least until we have archers on the board. And then - probably use archers as our main force, since we can upgrade them later, so go pillaging and whatnot but don't attack much.

I was about to call Thoth out for not posting comments for the last three turnsets, but had this chat with Ilios first :mischief::

Darrell: thoth has been an SG letdown
his posts are still good but too infrequent
Ilios: what do you mean?
he isn't playing in the SG
Darrell: oh
who is sillygoat?
Ilios: Thoth
Darrell: lol
Ilios: ...
Darrell: I have no clue man
I thought he was in it
let me count...me, you, gaspar, mardoc, ichabod
yup, that's five

Darrell

:lol:

Yep, Thoth specifically told us he couldn't play due to having too many other commitments. Maybe if Team Bring It get It Brought, he'll have time to actually join us instead of shouting advice from the sidelines ;).

Turn 66 - part 2: The beggining of the Magician - Clown war to define who owns the Circus

Yes, let's be brave! Let's attack the damn clowns and see what they got!

So, how should we go about this war. Here's a step by step:

1st. Move warrior out of city:

Spoiler :

2nd. Declare war. After spending so much time only playing MP, it's a relief to be able to declare war with just one click. No big "I'm declaring war, but we are still friends" email needed, no NAP discussion. :lol:

Spoiler :

3rd. Look at odds, see they are good and cross fingers:

Spoiler :

4th. Oh my, the tension!!

Spoiler :

:woohoo:

DIE, BASTARTD, DIE!!

But the job wasn't yet ready. The great Houdini, also known as the Loki slayer, was left with only 0.6 health, as the sole defender of Nimarail (with 21 xp!). There was no way to reinforce the city on that turn and, as you can see in the above picture, there was a stupid Loki puppet ready to attack Nimarail (the damn thing wasn't teleported either).

So, I had to use the capital garrison to attack the puppet (88% battle, which he won flawlesly for 5xp), which meant two turns (no road on the tile the puppet was, so he could not get back in 1t) of two unhapiness in the capital. It's certainly a bad thing, but it was necessary.

Spoiler :

After that, I ended turn.

Turn 67-68:

Moved warriors around, improved the land. Still no chance of getting peace with Perp. The capital settler finished at EoT.

Turn 69:

Revolted to Nationhood, Apprenticeship and Conquest. We are at happy cap in most cities, so agrarianism wasn't that much needed anymore. And since we are not stopping with the war against Perp until he's dead, we will need these war civics. It was the best moment to do it, with a settler in movement and no danger in sight. Hope you won't be disappointed with this switch.

Spoiler :

Turn 70:

The settler can settle the site 2W of the cows on the next turn, if the damn gorilla near there doesn't move in that direction. He's guarded by 2 warriors (the gorilla is not in range to attack them).

I didn't end the turn, because we need to decide what to build on the capital (currently a settler as place holder) and the 3rd city (currently EC - we don't need a monument so bad now that Loki is dead). Maybe starting the Brewing House in the capital? Can we keep on expanding? We could hold with 4 cities until Bowyers, but there's probably room (I mean economy, not land space) for more cities, in my opinion.

The southern warrior is inside Perp's lands unmoved. Beware that there's a gripphon lurking in the south. There's also two unmoved workers, near the 4th city site.

And, yes, we should rename the cities...

Attachments

• RB-EitB-SG1 AD-0070.CivBeyondSwordSave
    152.6 KB · Views: 53
:goodjob:

We're not dead, we're not dead :jive:

And loki is :bowdown:. I think the puppet would have vanished at the start of Perp's turn, since he doesn't have Summoner. But it's hard to object to picking up some XP.

Looks like we'll be getting to the interesting part right about my next turnset, too :cool:

I think, so long as we can hold defensively, we ought to keep expanding. I think it may be early for Dereptus, I think we still ought to stick with workers, warriors, settlers, and soon Archery Range/Archers.

I think the puppet would have vanished at the start of Perp's turn, since he doesn't have Summoner. But it's hard to object to picking up some XP.

:blush:

I saw the "1t remaining" text and mixed things up. I thought the unit would disappear in the barb turn (the one before the player), so if it was still there, Perp could have used it. But it'd have vanished in the beggining of Perpentach's turn...

Oops...

So, I opened the save... nobody mentioned this guy

Well - everything's hitting the fan at once, huh? :rolleyes:

Can we get enough warriors to him soon enough to confiscate the axe, without risking security against the Perp? Effective Str 12 is significant, but I still think warriorpults can handle it. I'd need to break out Sareln's calculator to get a feel for just how many that is.

SURPRISE!

[party]

I didn't see him... Totally missed it... :smoke:

How did he appear there, anyway? He wasn't there when I was scouting the south and the land to the east was blocked by the Luchuirp. Did he go through Beeri's land?

Well, we have some options. First of all, the capital can easily pump 5xp warriors (1 turn warriors, since we have conquest) and we have Houdini, who is at 21xp (enough for combat 3 + shock). We'll probably lose some guys, but he'll get wounded eventually. Best course of action, in my opinion, is to let Orthus attack the fortified warriors first, only attacking him after he's injured (don't leave the high xp warrior in the tiles Orthus can attack, save him for a possible counter-attack to get him even more xp).

We can also try to use the southern warrior to lure Orthus into Balseraph land. High chance of the plan not working, though...

(don't leave the high xp warrior in the tiles Orthus can attack, save him for a possible counter-attack to get him even more xp).

5 more XP and he unlocks Form of the Titan :). You know, because we don't have enough to think about at once.

We can also try to use the southern warrior to lure Orthus into Balseraph land. High chance of the plan not working, though...
The Axe does go pretty well with summon spam, if you're willing to spend the time to transfer the axe before each attack. If we can take it, I want it.

It might let us consider taking on the Balseraphs with just warriors, too, instead of waiting.

He spawned during my turnset, but the shot didn't have the little yellow dot in the mini-map so I didn't use it. He was around 20 tiles to our SSE.

Darrell

How did he appear there, anyway? He wasn't there when I was scouting the south and the land to the east was blocked by the Luchuirp. Did he go through Beeri's land?

Darrell says he mentioned him appearing during his turnset. Looks like he bee-lined to us or Perpentach.

Anyway, first thing I did was put both the capital and gold city on Warrior duty, and moved poor wounded Houdini back to the frontlines.

I was going for the luring plan:

Spoiler :

I managed to pillage a Cotton plantation on the way, for a cool 40 gold! :D

Then the deep incursion/lure guy got offed by a Balseraph Freak... :(

Anyway, the plan seemed to work, and I was moving troops into Udenarat, ready to move out if Orthus suicided against the Balz cap.

Erm:

Spoiler :

Oh boy... I was kicking myself for not at least trying to get rid of those forests.

Then Orthus moved away, as shown on the screenshot above... :confused:

He then moved northwest. :confused::confused:

Now we're talking:

Spoiler :

I had moved out a couple of Warriors to fortify our new city (Mardoc, you really gotta rename em) in case Orthus got smarter somehow and wanted an easier target.

You can also see the first Balseraph attack squad, consisting of three highly promoted Freaks.

I had to move that Worker out of the way, because the big orc had also picked up Commando now. :eek:

Anyway, I promoted a fully fortified Warrior to C1S1, and pressed enter:

Spoiler :

Ooh, only half his life left!

Grunt Warrior gets which odds?

Spoiler :

Good enough! Charge!

Redlining him! :goodjob:

And who else to finish him off?

Spoiler :

The Great Houdini! (I hastily promoted him to C3 first though, still only about 96% odds)

:take a bow:

I promoted him to March, as we have much in store with this guy.

Anyway, I moved him back into the city, and promoted the rest to withstand the Balseraph attacks. One of them manages to kill a Warrior, rest dies on the attack.

Houdini was at 36 exp, so I couldn't resist, and promoted him to C4 and took out the Freak, taking care to promote a Warrior to C2 to cover him. :jive:

I'm sorry I didn't take a lot of screenshots of the economy, but I had other things to concentrate on (micro was a bit sloppy). I took the liberty of grabbing Festivals after Archery, as we were losing too much money. Markets are going up everywhere, and the economy is looking decent. We'll have the Great Sage in 6 turns for the Academy.

I've put around 200 beakers in Bowyers so far, but I really think we should consider going KotE first. We really need two movers for some tactical options, and I'd prefer grabbing an Adept and promoting him to Body I, then grabbing Animal Husbandry and Horseback Riding for the Mobility promo.

Mardoc, could you please check the tiles worked in every city, because I'm pretty much wasted, and could have done a better job with the Econ side of our game.

There's a Warrior incoming from the west of our new city. The capital has been set to another Warrior to replenish our troops. It has a Settler in the qeue, which could be finished in four turns.

Beery still hasn't researched Exploration, and I even considering teching Carto, so we can build the damn trade connection for him.

Alexis has founded and converted to OO, I expect him and Beery to start fighting soon.

Things are looking pretty good, we just need to keep focused, spam those 5 exp Warriors, and work our way towards Bowyer, save gold, buy an army and go stomp Perpentach!

Attachments

• RB-EitB-SG1 AD-0080.CivBeyondSwordSave
    168.1 KB · Views: 60
Nicely done on Orthus! And on keeping the Balseraphs contained.

So - we picked up Archery and Festivals, and the first portion of Bowyers.

I'll definitely do an economic survey, and consider what can be optimized. I'll admit, 20 turns to Bowyers seems like an awful long time to go without any new toys.

I like the KotE route better than HBR too, we 100% want to go there eventually. I also want to consider going up to Warfare for the Form of the Titan, and maybe via Bronze to use Orthus/Copper Axes to handle Perp? And we could consider Cartography, although I've been assuming we want to put Beeri out of the game rather than make friends with him. Thoughts on these?

And I'll definitely take care of putting proper names on the cities. ;).

I probably can't play until tomorrow night, so there's plenty of time for debate on our course of action.

Good job, Ilios. Perfect kill on Orthus, since Houdini got the xp. Getting the Orthus axe is also great.

I think Animal Husbandry is a good tech to get. It's cheap and we will get the 2 cows online, which are pretty nice tiles. And finding horses somewhere could help too.

But if we get AH, HR, KotE, BW and Warfare before Bowyers, plus the time we need to actually make our army (accumulate the gold for the upgrades), it's possible that perp will have some decent units already.

I'd go AH, KotE then bowyers. I can see the case for BW and HR too, but any more than that is too much, in my opinion.

BTW, I want to make a case for the Brewing House in the capital. We can get it in then turns now. Even if we don't want to build it just yet, I think we should put our chops into it. Since this turn there was a chop, I suggest to put a turn of production into the brewing house. Then build one or two warriors while chopping other forests. Then put the chops into the Brewing House and finish it.

By swithching the incense tile into the desert mine, we can get it done in 8 turns. If we stop the worker cottaging in the south and use it to chop the grass forest south of the capital and we use the worker 2W 1S of the capital to chop the northern grass forest, we could finish it in 6 turns or so. It's another happy + a commerce boost (10% that can get to 20% if we decide to get BW).

I was about to call Thoth out for not posting comments for the last three turnsets, but had this chat with Ilios first :mischief::
Darrell

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

At one point in time I was registered here as "Thoth". Wandered away for awhile, forgot password, changed ISPs (and email addys) and couldn't log in so I eventually just set up this account. I've never been a very active poster here so it didn't seem worth the bother of PMing a mod for the name change. :)

:lol:

Yep, Thoth specifically told us he couldn't play due to having too many other commitments. Maybe if Team Bring It get It Brought, he'll have time to actually join us instead of shouting advice from the sidelines ;).

:( Yeah, I *really* wish you guys had started this a few days earlier. I'd much rather be playing in this game (or Bobchillingworth's Perpy SG on RB) than that farce that I was stupid enough to sub for. :(

[ontopic]

Orthus's Axe....OOH! SHINEY TOY!

And a 33xp Warrior to boot. Nice. :goodjob:

An axe rush might be doable with those toys. ;)*

*Not that I'd know anything about Axe powered Axemen rushes :innocent:

Now that Thoth pointed it out, I guess an axe attack could work. Perp is at 2 cities only (I checked the save - like Ilios said, there's some micro that can be a little improved there) and if he keeps building freaks, we might actualy have a chance.

KotE would be nice for improving our scouting.

:( Yeah, I *really* wish you guys had started this a few days earlier. I'd much rather be playing in this game (or Bobchillingworth's Perpy SG on RB) than that farce that I was stupid enough to sub for. :(

I've a feeling this isn't the last FFH SG we play.

Anyway, I was right, no playing this game until tomorrow for me. I'm strongly tempted to try the axe approach to Perp, even though it's not thematic. But you guys still have ~20 hours to talk me into or out of it :).

Top Bottom