Shift-Click-End of Turn Moves

-the Move is basically way to strong on attack. You can move next to enemy defending units, especially Archers etc without them having a shot at you. If you are fast the next turn you can even kill the unit.

-you can also cross rivers savely, you can destroy units without giving the other player a chance to retaliate or retreat. You can capture Workers and run away with them or disband all at once.

This also works if you move end of turn, but only with 1 unit at a time, not a whole army.

When people argue against shift clicking, they are posing the arguments against double moving. Currently in mp we have no good way of restricting double moves. So the question is not double moves or no double moves, it is shift click double moves or manual double moves. Personally I like shift click moves much more than manual double moves. Really good players can wait till the end of the timer and move 2 or so units without having the opponent respond, a bad player might mess up and not double move in time (move at the start of the next turn), or move too early and give the opponent a chance to react. Ultimately I think shift moves are easier to master because they require no timing, or adjustment due to the lagginess of the game. Also in a game with shift clicks, every turn does not have to go to the end of the turn timer, which allows for MUCH faster games. All in all, double moves are going to be used if civ stays the way it currently is, and I like shift click double moves more than manual ones.

When people argue against shift clicking, they are posing the arguments against double moving. Currently in mp we have no good way of restricting double moves. So the question is not double moves or no double moves, it is shift click double moves or manual double moves. Personally I like shift click moves much more than manual double moves. Really good players can wait till the end of the timer and move 2 or so units without having the opponent respond, a bad player might mess up and not double move in time (move at the start of the next turn), or move too early and give the opponent a chance to react. Ultimately I think shift moves are easier to master because they require no timing, or adjustment due to the lagginess of the game. Also in a game with shift clicks, every turn does not have to go to the end of the turn timer, which allows for MUCH faster games. All in all, double moves are going to be used if civ stays the way it currently is, and I like shift click double moves more than manual ones.

This is where a different skill set comes in to differentiate between "good" and "bad" players. The ability to double move and do it well is a skill for sure, however I believe that what attracts most players to the Civ series is that it is a strategy game, not a hand/eye coordination kind of game. I prefer to play chess, not Tetris, when I play Civ, and in multiplayer I have to do both. Even with its flaws, I highly prefer the current multiplayer/real time way of playing over any other way... something like adding a mechanic that would eliminate double moves would make my Civ experience that much better.

With the new Civ expansion coming out, I hear that units will take longer to kill, which I think will reduce the impact of double moving... however I can see huge gridlocks forming by units taking so long to kill... perhaps the new expansion pack will be abandoned for MP if it is too much...

This is where a different skill set comes in to differentiate between "good" and "bad" players. The ability to double move and do it well is a skill for sure, however I believe that what attracts most players to the Civ series is that it is a strategy game, not a hand/eye coordination kind of game. I prefer to play chess, not Tetris, when I play Civ, and in multiplayer I have to do both. Even with its flaws, I highly prefer the current multiplayer/real time way of playing over any other way... something like adding a mechanic that would eliminate double moves would make my Civ experience that much better.

With the new Civ expansion coming out, I hear that units will take longer to kill, which I think will reduce the impact of double moving... however I can see huge gridlocks forming by units taking so long to kill... perhaps the new expansion pack will be abandoned for MP if it is too much...

That is the thing, shift clicking takes coordination out of the equation, normal double moves require speedy movement- yes quite a bit like tetris (combo, combo, combo, all his units are dead) :p

Question from a MP noob, what happens when two players use the shift click and the moves are conflicting (aka they will move through each other or on top of each other)?

I think others have said they just get cancelled...?

Question from a MP noob, what happens when two players use the shift click and the moves are conflicting (aka they will move through each other or on top of each other)?

it may lead to "loading" if none of the players is host.

About the topic:
I think the shift move "buffs" both attacking civ and melee units, and let's face the truth, both of these are pretty bad in mp /=

But I totally don't mind playing no shift move mode, as soon as everybody follows the rules.

Top Bottom