Typhlomence's Civilizations

Dear Arceus, the last time I posted in here was the end of May? Time to fix that quickly!

I'm pleased to say that Ho-kago Tea Time is quite close to a release. Played a game with her to see how well her abilites worked and to crush bugs as they appeared, and I think she's working fine.

There's two things I'd like some feedback on before I wrap everything up ready to release, though:
  1. The Cakes resource is currently a plain Luxury Resource. However, this means that getting more copies than they are civs in the game gives no benefits. Should they give a boost to some sort of yield as well?
  2. City names. For a while, I was going to use cities in the Shiga Prefecture (Toyosato Elementary, where Sakuragaoka is based on, is in this prefecture), but at the moment I have dynamic city names using the same system as Vicevirtuoso's HDN civs, just with the names of sweets instead. So you can get things like "Caramel Hills", "Parfait Port", "Shortbread City" and "Cherryville". I thought that would fit with Yui naming them, but now I'm not so sure.
Finally, have some screenshots:
Spoiler :
Had to play around with the text to make it fit in the selection screen.

I also made the Dawn of Man speech too long to start with as well. I managed to trim it down while also keeping DarkScythe's suggestion to make it a bit silly, because it's Yui after all.

Yes, Yui has a chance of calling the player [Your Name]-chan. :crazyeye:

Just showing off my Azusa unit model again. :p

Most of the unique Great Works from the Light Music Club Member are the character songs for each character, though you get ones like Fuwa Fuwa Time and Pure Pure Heart as well. There's 37 Great Works in total, so you should get plenty of different ones each game.

Every time you get Cakes through a Golden Age, you'll get an alert. Note that the Golden Age check is done at the start of the turn, so you'll have to go to the next turn if you get a Golden Age through something like a Great Artist.

You also get an alert when a Recording Studio contributes to your next Light Music Club Member.

The following three screenshots show the MCIS for each of the uniques. I'm quite happy with these.

UA

UU

UB

City names. For a while, I was going to use cities in the Shiga Prefecture (Toyosato Elementary, where Sakuragaoka is based on, is in this prefecture), but at the moment I have dynamic city names using the same system as Vicevirtuoso's HDN civs, just with the names of sweets instead. So you can get things like "Caramel Hills", "Parfait Port", "Shortbread City" and "Cherryville". I thought that would fit with Yui naming them, but now I'm not so sure.
Using the prefecture names would probably create more believable city names, but the dynamic names sounds pretty fun, so that could also be cool.

if im being honest, the prefecture ones would seem better

The prefecture names would probably be more realistic... but I'm a big fan of dynamic names, myself, and the sweets names sound hilarious. XD

First of all, let me express my condolences that an XML-only scrub decided to vomit 200 GuP civs onto the Workshop before you finished yours.

And second of all, K-On is looking fun. (And as we all know, fun things are fun)
What I'd suggest regarding city names is to do both: have a standard city list with the prefecture names, and then have the dynamic name script take over once it runs out of those names.

First of all, let me express my condolences that an XML-only scrub decided to vomit 200 GuP civs onto the Workshop before you finished yours.

Ah, well that's always a risk when you leave things. :p

That's of course not going to stop me from doing my own versions. Same with Daisy, since I've noticed a Sarasaland civ popped up as well.

And second of all, K-On is looking fun. (And as we all know, fun things are fun)
What I'd suggest regarding city names is to do both: have a standard city list with the prefecture names, and then have the dynamic name script take over once it runs out of those names.

Well, before you posted this, I actually added an option that allows users to switch to them. But I took your suggestion to heart and gave more options, so you can (hopefully) have:
  1. Prefecture only
  2. Dynamic sweet only
  3. Prefecture, then dynamic sweet
  4. Dynamic sweet, then prefecture
A bit overkill, probably, but choice is good!

Anyway, since all I have to do now is finish what unique responses I want, as well as any other small bits of polish, I'll try to aim for a release over this weekend.

The power of cute compels you to download my new civ! :crazyeye:

Ho-kago Tea Time civilization, led by Yui Hirasawa
Compatible with: Unique Cultural Influence, Cultural Diversity, Rise to Power, Civ IV Traits, ExCE, Map Labels, Wish for the World, Mercenaries, Cities in Development, Ethnic Units/R.E.D, Enlightenment Era, Randomized Unique Components and Traits
Direct download | Steam Workshop
Additional soundtrack mod (optional, but highly recommended!)

I don't really have much to add to this release, other than apologizing for the length of time it took to actually get it out. Now I have to try to release three civs in less than two months. :p

Anyway, mod options can be changed via the Yui_Options.sql file. These allow you to change the civ name to "After-School Tea Time" (if you like the English translated name for some reason), or to enable the dynamic city names that were mentioned earlier.

A scrub I am with my XML, but then it doesn't stop anyone pushing their ideas forward.
I personally don't have time to learn the in and outs of SQL and lua so XML is the next best thing I can do. :(

That said, I am still looking forward to Typhlomence's own take the GuP universe since I know it most likely will be better than mine and people will find it much more interesting. :goodjob:

Hell, I'll even advertise Typhlomence's GuP Civs on my own Civ's description because in the end I believe the consumers deserve the best that is to offer.

So my Civs aren't designed to replace Typhlomence's Civs, but act as a stop-gap until a better version comes forth, much like the M3 Lee is compared to the M4 Sherman. If you can get behind that, then I thank you.

I just realised I forgot to include a link to the additional soundtrack mod as well! I'm so sorry about that - you can get it here.

How could I have done that?! That's, like, a critical part of a mod for a band! :wallbash:

A little update for Yui - "INSERT_PLAYER_NAME_HERE" wasn't being replaced in the diplomacy dialog due to a code mistake, so that should now be fixed.

I must say that the report of my death was an exaggeration:

Yes, again I've missed the 1st of April, but let's not worry about that, because look who's here for real this time!
Spoiler :

Tomomo's Abyss civilization, led by Tomomo
Compatible with: Unique Cultural Influence, Cultural Diversity, Rise to Power, Civ IV Traits, ExCE, Map Labels, Wish for the World, Mercenaries, Cities in Development, Ethnic Units/R.E.D, Enlightenment Era, Randomized Unique Components and Traits
Direct download | Steam Workshop

I want to give my good friend Yuki Misaki a shout out here - it's thanks to him that I have art for Tomomo's leader scene, since before this there was no fan art for her at all. You can find more of his work on his DeviantArt page.

Here's an Imgur album with more images. While her unique ability may appear to give her a conquest focus, Tomomo is intended to have a plethora of random effects, and her (technically) six unique improvements can give her some versatility. Here are a few more details on those, if you don't want to look through the album:
  • Bonus Panels (Yellow) - Give Gold based on unit's level (Civilizations at war with the Panel's owner get none)
  • Drop Panels (Blue) - Take Gold based on unit's level (The Panel's owner and their friends also get half of the lost Gold back as Science)
  • Draw Panels (Green) - Give random promotions or trigger traps (The Panel's owner and their friends will always get a promotion, while civilizations at war with them will always get a trap. Otherwise it's 50/50)
  • Encounter Panels (Red) - Spawn Barbarian units that gives Gold on defeat (The unit's strength and type depend on whether the Panel's owner is in a Golden Age or whether the civilization that activated it is at war with the owner)
  • Roll and Move Panels (Cyan) - Randomly increases the movement of all units on it by between 1-6 moves (Civilizations at war with the Panel's owner get their movement reduced instead)
  • Warp Panels (Purple) - Randomly warps units to other Warp Panels in the owner's territory if there is one that is unoccupied
The mod's readme goes into much more detail about the mechanics of all of Tomomo's abilities.

Now, as for what I'm working on next, I'm not going to promise any dates or say who might come next, since my track record for meeting those deadlines has been... well, the fact that I missed April Fools' Day again should tell you enough. :p Rest assured though that I'm not done with Civilization V just yet.

Top Bottom