Danmacsch's (Damasc's) civilizations

So I noticed the icon doesn't actually match the civ's colors. The base color is a burgundy/brown and the highlight color is the turquoise used as the base of the icon. Any chance you could match those up?

So I noticed the icon doesn't actually match the civ's colors. The base color is a burgundy/brown and the highlight color is the turquoise used as the base of the icon. Any chance you could match those up?

Yep, it's fixed - apparently at some point, when trying out some different colors I must have mixed something up

I'm uploading version 2 now, in which the following is fixed:

- New civ icon with correct colors.
- Inverted civ colors (the background color is now the icon color and vice versa).
- Expanded city list (from 12 cities to 25).
- fixed a few things in the lua code (the tourism from citadels didn't actually work - must have changed something by accident at some point - fixed now ;)).
- lowered the amount of Golden Age points you get from Great Generals in cities during war.
- added diplomacy text (most of it is just a copy/paste from one of JFD's awesome civs, edited to match Corsica, though much of it still needs to be rewritten).
- added internal support for JFD's Cultural Diversity and Piety and Prestige mods.

By the way, I think I might have mentioned this, but here goes again.
I would love some ideas to use as Events. Ideally in relation to the Corsican Republic, but otherwise just related to Corsica in general.
This also applies to Decisions, but I already have one decision mostly done and I think I can come up with one more on my own, so that's not as urgent ;)

About the Nuragic civ; I'm having some trouble finding a leader and a symbol for the icon. So please share any ideas you might have.

By the way, I think I might have mentioned this, but here goes again.
I would love some ideas to use as Events. Ideally in relation to the Corsican Republic, but otherwise just related to Corsica in general.
This also applies to Decisions, but I already have one decision mostly done and I think I can come up with one more on my own, so that's not as urgent ;)

About the Nuragic civ; I'm having some trouble finding a leader and a symbol for the icon. So please share any ideas you might have.

As an event, maybe the publication of "an account of Corsica" would fit.
(This book made Pasquale paoli famous in Europe)

Perhaps something like the Summoning of William of Massa? Free GG and a randomly-selected Unique Unit from a Civilization not in the game (that you have the tech to unlock, obviously)? Might be worth doing...

As an event, maybe the publication of "an account of Corsica" would fit.
(This book made Pasquale paoli famous in Europe)

That's a good idea, which I of some reason didn't think of despite having read a big part of it :rolleyes: Thanks :D

Perhaps something like the Summoning of William of Massa? Free GG and a randomly-selected Unique Unit from a Civilization not in the game (that you have the tech to unlock, obviously)? Might be worth doing...

Sorry, but could you possibly elaborate on this "event". This William of Massa is not someone I'm familier with unfortunately :sad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I've been made aware of a pretty unfortunate thing with the mod. The UU doesn't get the promotion made for it, so the defense and attack bonuses on hill tiles resp. forest tiles aren't there.
I'm not sure why this is, so if anyone is up for looking through the sql in the promotions and units files, feel free :D

So what would you actually call the Nuragic civ? Nuragic Civilization is somewhat unwieldy, but there doesn't seem to be like...a non-adjective for them. Nuragia isn't a thing, Nuragics isn't valid, and everything else I find is a specific sub-tribe name thingy.

Okay, this goes back to medieval Corsica, which was... anarchy, basically. Literally, if you subscribe to certain definitions of feudal anarchy. Corsica had been reattached to Tuscany, the island was effectively split, bandits were running around all over the place and war was pretty much constant. Eventually, some of the lords in the north of the island put their differences aside and made peace (via the Diet of Morosaglia) but the south was just as bad as ever. Finally tired of this garbage, the podestas of the Terra di Comune (the polity under the aforementioned Diet) called upon a local lord to rid them of the southern scourge. That lord was William, Margrave of Massa, and he did it using mercenaries from Tuscany and the rest of the Italian mainland.

One might even call them Tuscan raiders.

Link to video.

Hope that's helpful. =]

Ahhh, I see. So something like this:

Enlist William of Massa

Requirements:

Must have researched Civil Service
Unhappiness must be at -5 or below
At least two Barbarian units must be within or adjacent to a city's borders

Costs:

1 Magistrate
200 Gold

Effects:

4 maintenance-free Pikemen appear near the Capital with the promotion "Massa's Brigade", giving them +50% combat strength against Barbarians and +1 Movement both on land and when embarked
A free Great General appears in the Capital (William of Massa, of course)
Each city gains +1 Happiness

So basically it would be less something you work towards happening and more an interesting historical thingy for when you're in a bit of a crisis and don't have much of an army to spare.

So what would you actually call the Nuragic civ? Nuragic Civilization is somewhat unwieldy, but there doesn't seem to be like...a non-adjective for them. Nuragia isn't a thing, Nuragics isn't valid, and everything else I find is a specific sub-tribe name thingy.

I've given it some thought as well, and have had the same difficulties :confused: The working title is Nuragica, but that's only because I haven't found anything better.
If you happen to come up with a more fitting name, please let me know.

To be honest, that's really one of the minor problems I have with the Nuragic civ right now. To find a leader name has proven to be somewhat close to impossible. Wikipedia says that the mythical god-like Norax and Sardus is somehow related to Nuragic religion/mythology, but as far as I know they are more related to greek mythology, which is then kind of a no-go in my book.
Right now, I do call the leader Norax, but again, only until (and if) I find something more fitting.
I've started a thread on the Historam forum and asked there if anyone could come up with a name more directly related to the Nuragics, or if Norax as a Nuragic leader can somehow be justified, but so far I haven't received any answers. :sad:

Besides, I would very much like to discuss the civ design instead. So far I have the following:

UA: From the Sea and the Sky (working title):
- Sheep and Cattle tiles yield +1 faith after adopting a pantheon.
- Copper resources are doubled for trade.
- Killing enemy naval units gives a small amount of faith.

Some of this is based on Maklohi Vai's suggestions (previous page). The copper/trade part of this is a must, and I think there should be some kind of yield/bonus from sheep/cattle tiles, but I not sure it should be faith, or even direct yields.
The killing-enemy-naval-units thing is probably also something I'll end up changing.

UI: Nuraghe:
- Same defensive bonus as Citadels, but can only be built on hills and cannot have another Nuraghe in an adjacent tile.
- Yields +1 culture and +1 Great Engineer point in the capital.
- An Archaeologist may construct an Archaeological Dig on the improvement, adding +3 culture to its yield and a small number of Golden Age points but removing the defensive bonus.

I'm pretty satisfied with this :)

UU: Bull Warrior (again, working title):
- Costs more than the warrior, which it replaces.
- When garrisoned on a Nuraghe, gains the ability of ranged attacks with a range of two tiles.

I kind of like the idea about having a melee unit going ranged under certain conditions (here; garrisoned on Nuraghe).

But let me know what you think - especially in regard to the UA, but also the UI and UU.

Spoiler :
Okay, this goes back to medieval Corsica, which was... anarchy, basically. Literally, if you subscribe to certain definitions of feudal anarchy. Corsica had been reattached to Tuscany, the island was effectively split, bandits were running around all over the place and war was pretty much constant. Eventually, some of the lords in the north of the island put their differences aside and made peace (via the Diet of Morosaglia) but the south was just as bad as ever. Finally tired of this garbage, the podestas of the Terra di Comune (the polity under the aforementioned Diet) called upon a local lord to rid them of the southern scourge. That lord was William, Margrave of Massa, and he did it using mercenaries from Tuscany and the rest of the Italian mainland.

One might even call them Tuscan raiders.

Link to video.

Hope that's helpful. =]

Thanks for that - yes it will be very helpful. :D

Okay, here's some names based on what I've been able to dredge up:-

The Nuragians (Make something up, I can't find a decent leader)
Start Bias: Coastal
UA: Season Of The Aristocracies
Copper resources are doubled for trade purposes. Military Units gain a +1% :c5strength: Combat Bonus for each copy of Gold, Silver, Copper, and Gems traded to another Major Civilization.
UB: Nuraghe (replaces Granary)
+2 :c5food: Food. Additional +1 :c5food: Food from Wheat, Bananas, and Deer. +5 :c5strength: City Defensiveness. Enemy Units within 1 hex of the City lose 30 HP per turn.
UI: Hypogeum (all new!)
Available at Engineering. May be built on any tile with access to Fresh Water, but may not be built adjacent to another Hypogeum. +1 :c5faith: Faith. +1 additional :c5faith: Faith per adjacent Tile with access to Fresh Water.

I've left out the Bull Warrior because, well, I couldn't find anything with my frantic Googling. Sorry. That said, I think the Nuraghe ought to be a building rather than a UI to represent how central they were to Nuragic culture, and they should be a Granary replacement because there's a lot of evidence to suggest they contained grain silos and the Egyptians already have a burial tomb to replace the Temple. The hypogea, however, are more unique to Sardinia and that general part of the world, being dedicated to one of the two great gods of Nuragic culture: the water-Moon. The other one, the bull-Sun, I think of as the promotion for Military Units outlined in the UA.

Hopefully that's of some use to you. =]

Okay, here's some names based on what I've been able to dredge up:-

The Nuragians (Make something up, I can't find a decent leader)
Start Bias: Coastal
UA: Season Of The Aristocracies
Copper resources are doubled for trade purposes. Military Units gain a +1% :c5strength: Combat Bonus for each copy of Gold, Silver, Copper, and Gems traded to another Major Civilization.
UB: Nuraghe (replaces Granary)
+2 :c5food: Food. Additional +1 :c5food: Food from Wheat, Bananas, and Deer. +5 :c5strength: City Defensiveness. Enemy Units within 1 hex of the City lose 30 HP per turn.
UI: Hypogeum (all new!)
Available at Engineering. May be built on any tile with access to Fresh Water, but may not be built adjacent to another Hypogeum. +1 :c5faith: Faith. +1 additional :c5faith: Faith per adjacent Tile with access to Fresh Water.

I've left out the Bull Warrior because, well, I couldn't find anything with my frantic Googling. Sorry. That said, I think the Nuraghe ought to be a building rather than a UI to represent how central they were to Nuragic culture, and they should be a Granary replacement because there's a lot of evidence to suggest they contained grain silos and the Egyptians already have a burial tomb to replace the Temple. The hypogea, however, are more unique to Sardinia and that general part of the world, being dedicated to one of the two great gods of Nuragic culture: the water-Moon. The other one, the bull-Sun, I think of as the promotion for Military Units outlined in the UA.

Hopefully that's of some use to you. =]

Indeed it is. For now I think I will try merging some of your suggestions with my own with balance and synergy of the Uniques in mind.
But a short comment: Just googled "The Nuragians" and a few pages in, I found some articles written by some Italian expert in ancient Sardinian architecture (i.e. Nuraghi stuff) and he argues that the should be called "The Nuraghians", so now at least that's settled :D
Also I get that the Nuraghi were central in most settlements, both as a defensive structure as well as food storage, such that it makes sense for them to be a UB. But it's also theorized that they had some sort of diplomatic function between the Nuraghian chiefs, a religious function and a cultural function. That's just too many ways to go, and since they had almost certainly a defensive function, I though a citadel-like improvement would be a safe choice.
I might end up changing it anyway.. :p

Thanks for your input.

No problem! Happy to shout at people help. =]

And yeah, they did have a defensive function, but I also think it's important to get something like that early. I did consider removing the food bonus for additional Culture or Production from certain resources, but it might've ended up a little too close to my planned Malawi mod. Also, you're quite right about the h in Nuraghian. Typo on my part and I just didn't spot it. Mea culpa.

TBH, as unique buildings go it'd probably be best suited as a Walls/Castle development, but I wanted them to feel integral to the Civ's cities and, well, a lot of the time Walls and Castles aren't. Well, I always build them, but that's because Neuschwanstein is bloody OP. =]

A minor update to the Corsican civ.

It was pointed out to me on steam that the Buon Selvaggio didn't receive it's free promotion (defense resp. attack bonus on forest resp. hill tiles). It's fixed along with some other minor stuff.

I don't know if it will break saves, sorry.

@Scape, when posting YT vids, all you need to do to make them work is to paste whatever is after the "=" in the url within the tags:

[#YOUTUBE]rtxbM7-jAD0[/YOUTUBE]*

*without the # symbol

=

Link to video.

Ah. I did wonder about that; I can never remember whether to put in the whole link or not...

In regards to the Nuraghians, Scape do you have an idea for the icon?
I've searched frantically on Nuragic symbols and such and haven't found anything that will make a good icon. The initial idea was helmet with bull horns (since almost all Nuragic bronze statue have them), but it doesn't really seem 'right'..

In regards to the Nuraghians, Scape do you have an idea for the icon?
I've searched frantically on Nuragic symbols and such and haven't found anything that will make a good icon. The initial idea was helmet with bull horns (since almost all Nuragic bronze statue have them), but it doesn't really seem 'right'..

It has nothing to do with your post, but it has something to do with your signature:
What kind of civs are you planing to make?(maritime civs, Mediterranean civs, etc.)

It has nothing to do with your post, but it has something to do with your signature:
What kind of civs are you planing to make?(maritime civs, Mediterranean civs, etc.)
Well that's a good question :D I thought a lot about choosing a theme, but ultimately just decided making civs that interest me and, more importantly, is within my comfort zone, which probably is the Mediterranean as well as Scandinavia (and maybe something in between ;)).

The plan is getting my first three civilisations released before taking more on.
And BTW, a hint to the maritime civ is that it is located in the Adriatic.

Top Bottom