Royal Marine throws himself on grenade - gets noseblead and killer headach!

GinandTonic

Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime
What a jammy bugger!

Grenade hero awarded George Cross

Beeb said:
A Royal Marine who threw himself on a grenade to save his comrades' lives is to receive the George Cross.

Lance Corporal Matthew Croucher, 24, from Solihull, in the West Midlands triggered a trip wire in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in February.

He immediately dropped to the ground and lay across the grenade, being blown into the air as it went off.

The George Cross is one of the highest decorations that can be awarded for acts of gallantry.

L/Cpl Croucher said: "All I could do in the moment was shout out 'grenade' before diving on top of it."

His bag was crammed with equipment which cushioned the explosion. His three comrades suffered just cuts and bruises while L/Cpl Croucher was thrown in the air.

He added: "It was incredible. I escaped with only a nose bleed and a headache."

L/Cpl Croucher, a reservist, is one of 20 living recipients of the award.

Chief of the Defence Staff Sir Jock Stirrup said: "He acted to save his comrades in the most certain knowledge that he would not himself survive.

"His exemplary behaviour and extreme heroism are fully deserving of the nation's highest recognition."

His parents said they had had no idea what had happened to him.

'Might meet Queen'

His mother Margaret Croucher, 55, a teacher in Birmingham, said she got three text messages from him while he was away, one of which read: "Being put forward for a citation, might meet the Queen."

She said: "Obviously I was very intrigued but we didn't get the full story until he got back and we read about it in the papers.

"I am obviously immensely proud but it was a typical act from him. It was not the first time he had put his life at risk."

His father, Richard, 57, described him as a very "lucky man".

L/Cpl Croucher is expected to receive his honour from the Queen at Buckingham Palace in the autumn.

He was deployed to Afghanistan attached to Taunton-based 40 Commando Royal Marines last autumn.

Lieutenant Colonel Stuart Birrell, the unit's commanding officer, said: "This was a magnificent act which absolutely typified the highest traditions of commando service."

And for this he gits the second highest medal?

Considering he thought he'd die, it must be really surreal for him to find out that he survived, and with barely a scratch at that. I bet there's no better feeling than that. I also wonder what he felt and thought as he flew.

Considering he thought he'd die, it must be really surreal for him to find out that he survived, and with barely a scratch at that. I bet there's no better feeling than that. I also wonder what he felt and thought as he flew.

Probably something like "I hope I land somewhere soft..." :lol:

Seriously, kudos to the man for performing the highest act of bravery possible. :salute:

Proves the Royal Marines are superior.

"I brush my teeth with gasoline and matches."

I can just imagine he was trying to scout out a landing mattress while time slowed down for him while in the air. :lol:

Props to him for real though for his action.

The Victoria Cross is for gallantry in the face of an enemy.

Clearly triggering a trip wire must not count as 'in the face an enemy'.

But he gets the same size wheel barrow to cart those enormous brass balls around :D

Well, I guess I might have been something like "holy sh*t" ;)

If I were his parent, my first reaction would be to beat the hell out of him. The second would be being proud.

And for this he gits the second highest medal?
The marine won the medal of life which is much superior than any other medal they would have given to him.

The marine won the medal of life which is much superior than any other medal they would have given to him.

QFT.

The medal doesn't matter. The fact that he was willing to save others at his expense makes him a hero.

And the fact that he lived was even better. Congrats to him.

Top Bottom