Japaneese:Religious/militaristic

kb2tvl

King
hi, i have read many of the pasts posts and have had wins at monarch level. I wanted to give some tips on playing a war strat using the japaneese.

First off, your not very productive and you cant produce tech advances fast or can you build roads very fast BUT you can fight!

The core strength of the japaneese is to stay at war while obtaining tech advances from the the one your at war with.

War should take place in stages. Take a few cities and then ask for peace. during the peace period, bring up additional units. once your cities are garrisoned with cheaper troops, declare war and enter the enemies territory.

The fight. There are some universal truths about war. sun szu reflects them best. Some of the general ideas about choosing your terrain, using your enemies resources(the pyrimids/sun suz's acadamy) are very useful for building up captured cities and reparing units.

When fighting, start out with slow moving defensive units. the stage of the game will determine how many but as an example: I started out with 4 spearman and about 3 cities. I declared war and moved them into *his* territory. I initially placed the defensive units on very defensible terrain. Once the computer gave up attacking the unit, i moved him to a road and pillage the road. the roads i pillaged are all roads leading from the capitol. this completely isolates the capitol. I leave one defensive unit at his capitol and move the remainder to defensive positions. Note, his workers wont work if your in visual sight of his city.

At this point, i have horseman moving up. I try to bring 2 for every size of his city(a size 4 city, 8 horse). Keep the horse at home untill you have at lease 1 horse for evey size of his city.

Replace your spearman as they get killed, these will be the best investiment you can make.

Once you take their capitol, try to ask for peace. if you dont get it that round, ask the next round. Keep building units and bringing them up. remember to keep the roads removed between the newly conquered city and their cities. this helps on keeping the peace and to a lesser extent flipping. Also, get a road from your cities their asap. Use gangs of workers and 2 defensive units to do so.

ok, you have peace and you have a road under construction to your new city. 2 turns have passed and your units have healed up AND you have a few extra horse coming. Now, at this point, take one of your fertile cities and set him to making a setler and a few workers. other comps will be encrouching soon on your territory and you need to have cities around your capitol that are placed to your satification.

The second war: You had to move your spearman away from his city so you will have to reposition them. Same as before, bring in 2 spearman(or 3) and pillage the roads in and out of the capitol and fortify on a high point to keep an eye on him. This time, take the cities near you. do the pillage road routine to isolate it and build a road to your capitol. Repeat this cycle of war/peace untill you have:
1. all his money.
2. all his tech.
3. all his cities.

Early Midgame wars: These are wars before infantry where cavalary is still good. During this time, samuri will issue in the golden age for the japaneese. They require iron and chivalry. If you can delay your first war until you have chivarly, you will have quite a few cities to population build units with. This is crucial. These wars will be fought by decimating your population and have that population rebuild using granaries. Also, getting allinaces or mutual defense pacts(not sure when you can get these, i think these are with nationalism and hence before this period). Getting an alliance OR have a trade deal with those countries you dont want to fight is a key method to keeping other comps out of the fight. You need to have embassies with everyone you can. Remember, you took out a comp and have lots of extra luxuries. Trade these luxuries for cash and buy luxuries which you can resell to others. have a web of trades with all but your intended victim. Before mutual protection pacts, this is the best to obtain computer support.

These wars will be fought in a similar manner as before, send in the musketeers/pikeman and send them in 2 columns. have about 4 in each column and advance with all 4, pillage with one, hold one back, advance 2, pillage with one of the 2 that adavanced, hold back the one that did not pillage and move up the 2 that had previously pillage. the result is a line cut on either side of his cities running from your border to his capitol and around his capitol. when your pikeman get close, move your cavalry up and forify them with the pikeman. ignore all of his wounded units, wounded units keep moving, wounded units that can't keep up, die.

size your force as noted before. try for 2:1 on city size and dont go below 1:1. The pikeman will destroy a lot of his units.

once you get his capitol. make peace, try to ask for what you can. Rest your units inside his former capitol and once you get them up to full strength, go for the cities between you and him. Hopefully there will be 1 or 2 at the most. Again, declare war and then move troops into his territory. If you can, try to get a back door neighbor to sign an allinace with you against your target. This will distract and suck up more of his units AND win you a friend which you can take out latter.

Late game wars: this is a prickly pear. your enemies culature can be way higher than yours and flipping can be problematic at best. this is the time of panzars and tanks. It should be noted that any civ that is about to enter their golden age, should be allied with or avoided altogether. In my last game, i was allied with the germans from the very begining up and until i attacked/razed 3 of his core cities AFTER the germans had went though their golden age and killed off 4 comps for me..... There was just 1 comp player left at that point and the germans were crying for mercy once I killed off his elite units. It should be noted that i had trade agreements with him and right of passage for a very long duration. I waited until he had killed the last comp and I had amassed 15 tanks per city(or 10 and 1 army). I had about 45 tanks near 4 major cities, i razed berlin and 2 others which he never recovered from.

ok, to the war. Once you get the draft, you want furtile populace civs. this is the age of trench warfare and the begining of tanks. I generally, go very defensive and try to get to tanks asap. I hate offensives at this period of history BUT if you need to fight a war here are some tips.

1. have a large population, you should have taken out atleast 2 civs and have their cities for population building units.
2. use draft to get lots of infantry.
3. sell off your barraks, well keep a few in core cities and build cav with them.
4. build artillary.
5. when war begins, get a defensive permiter up. place a wall of infantry to guard aganst those who approach. then pulvarize them with artillary. I had ended up with 20 plus artillary last game. Also, as you build railroads, build them inland first. this is to protect against shore bombardment and you can move them up to blow the snot out of his sea units.
6. once your lines are stabilized, draft more infantry and send(yes you guessed it) 2 columns of infantry. this time go with columns of 8 or so(16ish in all). these guys will pillage your enemies capitol square. every single square around his capitol. if this fails, draft more! its only 1 pop per draft.

ok, you have armor now and you have a few built. You have a mutual protection pact with a few nations and there is this web of allinances built up. You want to start a war and take out one of your neighbors but you need to think carefully on which one you declare war on. If you have MPPS with 2 of the 5 comps, and your allies straddle another comp that is very high on the score chart, declare war on him. place a bunch of workers near his border OR place an unprotected artillery on the border. he will go for that like a moth to a flame.

Now, his ally might be a smaller country on your back side. this is the country you really wanted to take out anyway. you grab his land and take his tech by using tanks/get a city/getting peace/declaring war in the same turn. Defend yourself against the bigger boy but dont use units on him. you want land from the weaker/lesser defended ally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
goverments/build stratgies.

being militarisic, you have a higher chance of obtaining elite units and obtaining a leader. that is how you build your wonders. if you get a leader, try to obtain a key advance to build a wonder. pay a high price for it and build the wonder in one turn.

when your not at war, i change governments. I go from despotism -> monarchy or communism -> demo/rep... depending. There are periods between conflicts that you need to build roads and update trade deals. Rember to first build a road to the capitol, this makes hauling their gold home much easier!

build stratgies: japs get barraks and temples cheap but pay full price on marketplaces, libaries, graneries. Your going to population build during war times, to make sure you get a granary and baraks in every city. during latter periods, use temples and harbors to keep the population in line. Given that your population is not very large, you dont need as many luxaries but you will need a few. trading for them is ok but trading all your extra luxuries will help fund future campaigns and let you put more resources into tech developments. You will never be the top tech power untill you have won by kill off all the other civs.

ok, the game start is crucial. Your starting point needs to be taken into consideration. I will not play a map that i dont like, i will sometimes make a new game 10 times and then restart after about 10 turns after that. Know what is a good starting point for you. As I have become a better player, more starting locations are suitable for me.

Starting sites: I will allow myself one move before placing my home city. I either have my city on water(harbor) or I place it inland. I try to build it on a hill(defensive purposes). I also look to see if i have a few grassland or floodplains around me. one or the other is crucial. Starting in the middle of the jungle takes way too long to get them going.

Ok, i have started my city on a not so good place. the food is slow but I have flood plains near by. I have gold/luxaries within reach of my home city. I will build warriors until i can time a settler build and then build a barraks. This settler will be place on a hill near flood plains. my worker had irrigated a few tiles near my home city(the ones the city is using) and build roads. My worker is currently building a road toward the new city site and i have a warrior placed positioned at my desired location. Placing a warrior there prevents barbarians from forming near.

I have my first city! I will irrigate near it and will have looked for population build sites near by. these can be in jungle but flood plains if preferred. You can place a city on the edge of the floodplains your second city went onto. I try for 6 cities in jungle or in floodplains. if the cities are in jungle, build a warrior, workers and walls. have your capitol build veteran warriors or spearman depending on how soon a new settler will pop. If your settler-building city is about to exceed size 4 and you have 2 warriors inside, population build a granary.

ok, you have a military city, population city and one or two population-building cities. Look at building around your capitol. Your warriors should have the area scouted and the nearest computer opponent scouted(this includes where their capitol is). Try to position a warrior at the back of their civilization to keep an eye on where they expand to. The choice locations for additional cities should be for both defense and lux resources and for key resources such as iron and horses. Since I go for horse back riding first and iron working second, these resources usually pop fairly close to my city. Once you research either horseback riding or iron working, do not trade these with a neighboring civ or any civ for that matter. Keep some cash on hand to make embassies asap. make an embassy with the civ's closest to you.

ok, you have 3 cities around your capitol and 2 population cities(possibly still surrounded by jungle) you have roads leading to your closest neighbor and one or 2 tiles clear in jungle. Its time to gear up for war baby! you need granaries. The comp has probably completed a wonder or two so your time is ticking. It has also exceeded your ability to produce cities so you need to *aquire* some cities.

Gearing up for war requires a granary in every city then a barraks. the tough part is the granary. its expensive for japs but the barraks is cheap. Also, get a temple in your capitol for the culture it produces. This helps on flipping.

At this point, you have your capitol producing spearman, your population building cities with graneries, your settler build city building settlers with a granary and your two cities around your capitol in the process of building a granary. At this point get spearman. The previous mentioned strat stats you need 4 or so. Once you have these, move them toward the enemy controlled area. start to work on horseman. Once you have one or 2 horseman built, declare war and keep the horse at home to defend against your enemies attack. Build up 4 to 6 horse and then proceed with your attack.

Place up to 6 population build cities, tighly packed in jungle, removed from your capitol. this is an area where it will be very corrupted in the future and not of much use.

After taking his capitol and his cities closest to you, set cities near your capitol. Place them to that one to 3 tiles over lap. Place for defensive/resource reasons. Iron/horses take precedence over defensive location or food for that matter. If food is in short supply build on water if you can. Also build city walls. Their very cheap. If you build walls, build a warrior then worker once the growth is zero. If the food supply is ok, build warrior, warrior, granary(population build if your at 4 size) then get a barracks and granary.

conqured cities get a granary + barraks and temple if the conqured culature has a high culature rating(egyptians in particular)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
end of part one.

Part 2.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Side notes: Declaring war then asking for peace is key for preventing flipping. During times of mutal protection pacts... this approach wont be possible so starve the population down. Sometimes the city still flips(isolating the city via road seems to help also). Keeping no or few units inside the city can really help. Also position 2 offensive units outside.

Golden age. Avoid culatures about to enter their golden age. The persians and germans seem to be the most troublesome. Try to ally with those about to enter their golden age then take them out after their golden age has passed.

It is possible to start your first war just as you get samuri but dont count on this. Assume your first war will be as mentioned. Adjust your strat accordly. At game levels below monarch, it seems you can have very early wars... Or you have to have very early wars.

Don't forget to ask for all his tech/money first, then just all his tech then some of his tech then his cash.

set knowlge production on 100% so you can get horseback riding/iron working first. After this, reduce it it a bit. Try for embassies asap and dont trade knowlege unless it gets you closer to making and embassy.

Where you can delay your first war, try for market places in your key cities. These are worth building where libaries are a waste of population.

Between wars, switch to monarchy. Make sure you have tiles irrigated near your key cities before you do this AND have a market place. Your pop/cash flow will take off. Becareful what you buy in the way of tech, why pay for what you can obtain though battle.

After researching currency, my next goal is chivalry and education. Chivalry will help issue in the golden age and education negates the effects of the great libary. You dont want knowledge production to out pace what you can obtain in battle.

Latter on, I go for banking and all military upgrades. Try to learn what are in between advances and what are key advances that allow a building or unit. Buy advances that yield a unit or building.

Trade maps to improve relations when you dont want to buy their tech. If a civ demands a tech, say no, and on your turn ask what they will pay for it. If it is a tech which will usher in their golden age, trade maps instead. Remeber to get into trade agreements with the aggresive civs. Also remember to not be in an agreement with a civ that you want to attack next. Take trade agreements that will benefit the civ more than you so that you can keep them from attacking. This will also help to form alliances when you do declare war on their neighbor.

Start wars which you do not fight much but build up your civ. This wears down 2 opponent civs.

Ally yourself with a civ that you want to take out and keep them in constant war while you do not send units to help him.

thats it. =) This strat took lots of reading on this board and lots of practice. Political manipulation is key to this strat. Being aware of those that are aligned and where they are in relation to you is key to keeping you alive. Only break a trade agreement(mutual protection agreements dont count) because of war when its you and one other civ left and make sure your betral is swift and as complete as possible.

Hrm, one ancillary to this. If you take out the capitol, this leaves a hole in their nation. given the way corruption works and the fact that the least corrupt cities form a circle around your capitol, you can visualize your core cities as a wheel. Where the capitol city is the hub and the remaining cities are the rim. The spokes are the roads. If you cut the spokes the wheel will fail to function. If you remove the hub, the wheel fails. the most devoloped cities are along the rim. By taking out the capitol, reduces his cash/tech production quite a bit.

Second ancillary. If you get a very early great leader, I would use him to hurry a forbidden palace. The forbidden palace is a second *wheel* or it in other words doubles your production capacity. This will include coin production, knowledge and production to your treasury.

ok, going to stop typing.

*edit* This advice is based on prepatch play. I had no patches. The patches 1.21 and1.29 seem to cause greater unhappiness. Also, higher level play makes the population more sensitive to abuse where the lower level games the population is more tolerant of the whip.
end of edit.

yeh i agree that japanese are one of the best civs but this would probably been best posted in the strategy articles forum

Some additional tips. I always build the wall street wonder. I start saving cash to where I have about 10 times my per turn income stored. I then, slowly, start saving up to 10k gold and then latter on, 20k. With 10k gold I can support an army and a university in every city. With 20k gold I can support all buildings catherdal/labs in every city and an army. Remember 20k * 5% is 1k per turn. =)

Originally posted by kb2tvl
Some additional tips. I always build the wall street wonder. I start saving cash to where I have about 10 times my per turn income stored. I then, slowly, start saving up to 10k gold and then latter on, 20k. With 10k gold I can support an army and a university in every city. With 20k gold I can support all buildings catherdal/labs in every city and an army. Remember 20k * 5% is 1k per turn. =)

Overall good job on the strat article and thanks for sharing your tips. A minor correction though - the Wall St. wonder generates 5% interest on your treasury per turn, but is capped at 50 gold. So whether you have 1,000K or 20,000K in your treasury, you will only receive 50 gold-per-turn interest.

if your after money a good wonder to buid is adam smiths this can save a lot of money with a large empire

"Overall good job on the strat article and thanks for sharing your tips. A minor correction though - the Wall St. wonder generates 5% interest on your treasury per turn, but is capped at 50 gold. So whether you have 1,000K or 20,000K in your treasury, you will only receive 50 gold-per-turn interest."

Ack! where do I find this.... oh well, having fat wallet is nice anyway!
*edit* i found the post on the main board and i can see where it is only 50 per turn or capped at 1k as the cash you need to keep on hand.... I will have to play with this and look more closely.

*second edit* I am soooo far behind on tech that building any wonder other than small wonders is out of the question. My civ is geared for war and I do this well. The other stuff i dont do so well. =) I must admit, sending cav against tanks can be frustrating some times... well until i can get artillery!

Good stuff, kb2tvl (a bit long, but I'm no master of brevity either).

I love playing the Japanese. I've developed a specific strategy for taking over a continent with them (standard map):

Build a core of 8-10 cities. Meanwhile, research bronze working, iron working, warrior code... and eventually horseback riding. Use a relatively low science rate, as you will need to save up approximately 800 gold. Build temples & barracks in all productive cities. Build 20 chariots and 10 veteran warriors (aside from your city garrisons). Then connect up iron and discover horsebackriding. For the bargain price of 800 gold, you have 20 horsemen and 10 swordsmen, all ready to go. On Monarch with a good start, I can unleash that around 400-350bc. That's a big can 'o whoopass at that point in the game. The AI is usually just coming out of expansion mode, and can't put up much of a defense. This will usually take out 2 civs, possibly three, before you start running low on troops and/or encountering pikemen (obviously, you knock them to 1 city first and get their tech and mop up later). No matter. Rest, regroup, and wait for Samurai :evilgrin:

-Arrian

Why isn't there an evilgrin at Civfanatics? :mad:

I actually go for bronze working first and only make a few warriors for scouting. I might actually make some more if there is a new swordsman unit in PtW, but I go for horsemen instead. I still don't make a lot of chariots unless I start next to a horse or very near one.

I use swords to escort my horsies because occasionally I really do like having that 3 attack around. But spearmen will work. Thing is, though, that the whole point is trading gold for shields. A warrior is 10 shields, but costs 40 gold to upgrade to a sword. A spearmen is 20 shields, but has no offense. A chariot is 20 shields, as opposed to the 30 for horsemen, but requires 20 gold to upgrade.

-Arrian

p.s. Yeah, why no evilgrin? :lol:

The advantage of the horseman is mobility, and bringing a spearman escort kills their advantage. You would be better off just making swordsmen if you are going to escort your horsemen. If there is a new middle age swordsman, I might consider going pure swordsman on smaller maps. The warrior to swordsman path is too expensive for me. Chariot to horseman is better, but I have horseback riding before I even have chariots.

Ironically, I am very peaceful as Japan because they don't have the early war advantage of industrious civs. Be quiet, be nice, make 30 horsemen and save your gold. And then you upgrade them all for a samurai rush.

I am very familiar with Arrian's strat and so feel qualified to comment on it :).

Higher Game - I think Arrian is doing nearly the exact same thing as you, just about half and age earlier with an earlier unit. As you've discovered, its a lot easier to generate gold than shields early in the game, hence the "build inferior unit without intent to use it and then upgrade for rush of death" strat.

The key to the chariot -> horseman gambit is to deliberately avoid discovering horseback riding until you've had the time to build 20 or 30 chariots. Research other stuff and don't trade for it, then put yourself on HR research at a 40 turn pace, so that you're ready for war with the right mix of chariots and warriors and the right amount of gold for all the upgrades. It's a bit trickier of a timing issue than the horseman -> samurai gambit, but its advantages can be overwhelming: (1) opportunity for much earlier great leaders; (2) hit AI civs before they are out of rex mod and have a chance to build more defensive units; (3) hit AI civs when they have fewer cities -- taking or razing (if you can't avoid it) 3 or 4 cities can cut an AI empire in half at that point in the game; and (4) end your war(s) with a good-sized standing horseman army . . . . ready for the subsequent horseman -> samurai upgrade gambit :D.

The samurai has a greater advantage over pikemen as the horsemen has over spearmen. Plus, it's the UU, and you want to take advantage of it by using it as much as possible. I prefer to wait for a middle aged war because early wars are just gambles. Although they have the same traits, I don't like the Aztecs because they are geared for a risky early war. The Japanese are stronger because their UU is suited for a middle age war.

There always seem to be a lot of samurai-lovers here on the boards, and it makes me wonder why they are liked so much. What is it about them that is so good? Sure, you get an extra point in defense, but how often do you put them in your cities and defend with them? Samurai are units that are meant for attacking, and in that regard they are the same as the non-unique knight. I fail to see how having an extra point in defense allows you to defeat your enemies more easily; if you are moving your forces intelligently you will rarely get attacked by the AI units at all. For that matter, the Rider's extra movement point makes it a far more useful unit offensively than the Samurai, yet I rarely hear very much about how great that unit is. So to those of you who really dig the samurai, explain to me what makes it so much better than a standard knight. I would enjoy hearing a good convincing argument from someone on this board. :cool:

Originally posted by Sullla
There always seem to be a lot of samurai-lovers here on the boards, and it makes me wonder why they are liked so much.......So to those of you who really dig the samurai, explain to me what makes it so much better than a standard knight. I would enjoy hearing a good convincing argument from someone on this board. :cool:

Does the Pikeman get an extra defense bonus against mounted units? If so maybe that would be another plus to the Samurai, its basically an unmounted knight.

Higher Game,

My swordsmen mostly keep up with my horsemen because I rarely use them to actually attack cities: The horsemen lead off, entering AI territory and capturing the target city. The swords then follow, using the roads, and easily catch up. They are used to counterattack vs. say, an AI unit on hill or mountain, or to escort the horsies over rough terrain. Additionally, my attack wave isn't only about speed. I've found that taking my time can be a good thing. I want to take minimal casualties and inflict maximum casualties on the enemy. In other words, I want to win lots of battles. My units go elite, and start producing leaders.

The horsemen -> knight (or UU equivalent) is a solid option too. Egypt can actually be awesome at this: build your core empire. Trigger a GA by completing the Colossus & HG. Having the GL makes this easy as pie. Start building WC's and turn off science. Prebuild (use a Palace) for Leo's. Upon completion of Leo's & discover of Chivalry, you can unleash an ungodly number of Knights on whomever you choose.

Sullla,

The Samurai isn't that great a unit. It's nice, particularly for overseas invasion (elite Samurai and vet Cavalry make a nice combo). It stands up really well to counterattack. Keep to the hills and mountains, and those pesky AI knights or longbowmen won't have all that much success. Survivablility + militaristic civ trait = lots of units survive to be elites, which means more leaders. It's just a tough little unit.

The best Medieval UU is the Rider, hands down. Ever played around with a 3-rider army? :D

-Arrian

Originally posted by Arrian

The best Medieval UU is the Rider, hands down. Ever played around with a 3-rider army? :D

-Arrian

Arrian,

I currently have a 3-Elite Rider Army in the Super-Deity-Challenge. Currently using it to bring the Aztec to thier knees!! :mwaha:

Top Bottom