Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Which is why you should post a question there.

about the possibility of playing the no-raze patch without any problems that might hurt my precious new lap top . ı had already taken some unusual courage to test it a bit and the no-raze .EXE opened the Samurai screen ; was afraid playing might have caused trouble . Thanks for the answer so far and ı would be even more happy to get a list of tweaking points if there is any available .

well ı tried it to full and things got messy . Pics show what heppens as ı launch the editor . The warnings total something about 20 , 2 or 3 of the one numbered 1 . The missing files follow though ı have located them in their named folders , the number 2 ones apparent are all there but of a size of 1KB. Don't know they are just dots or got deleted . Didn't look for 3 and 4 , but they show the problem locations .

and the editor finally opens .

looks better if ı use different terrain pack .

how do ı correct this ? Will attempting to use the editor in such a position cause a cascade of additonal troubles ?

Attachments

• error1.jpg
    error1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 282
  • error2.jpg
    error2.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 226
  • error3.jpg
    error3.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 228
I've not been here in a while and I'm wondering if I can get back to the Red based forum skin? Can't say I'm thrilled with this aqua thingy but can I change it. I was here a while back when they said that there were problems and the new look was just a filler for a bit. I can't find/can't guess where they would put the skins.

I found it. thanks anyway :cowboy:

Welcome back! Black CFC is best CFC!

I am new to Civilization series. I would like to know what each item on the map means. I have seen the resources, units, etc. but not the display of the city, or what the graphics on the map mean such as a black cross near a city. Where can I get a full map graphic features list and description.

I have not see any descriptions of what I am looking for and I have down loaded several documents already for Civ 3.

Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forums, copterpilot! If you post a screenshot I'll be happy to help you. :)

I am new to Civilization series. I would like to know what each item on the map means. I have seen the resources, units, etc. but not the display of the city, or what the graphics on the map mean such as a black cross near a city. Where can I get a full map graphic features list and description.

I have not see any descriptions of what I am looking for and I have down loaded several documents already for Civ 3.

Thank you for your help.
Hi and welcome. :goodjob:

If you see a city on a map it has a few indicators:
A 'cross' next to a city is actually a sword; means the city has barracks. That means it produces veteran units and you can upgrade units there.
An anchor means the city has an harbor.
An airplane means it has an airport.
A star means it is the capital.
The number on the left means how big it is.
The number next to the unit it's producing means how many turns it takes until it's completed.
The number next to the name means how many turns it takes until it grows again.

I have played Civ II a lot and have just installed Civ III. I can't seem to get anywhere. I can't seem to give the workers orders though they do OK on automatic. I can't load units onto ships. I saw on here to use the "L" command but that doesn't seem to work. I have tried loading different types of units onto ships without success. I haven't found out how to designate how much resources should go to luxuries or other city purposes.
Are there any directions for this game?

Not every ship can load units.
Use Tutorial Mode, it'll help somehow. You probably have hidden the worker actions' buttons, i think that you need to press either the Backspace key or the Insert one.
Go to the Civilopædia (Ctrl + C) and find out about worker actions, the shortcuts (I, R, Ctr+R, etc.) are explained there under the Worker Actions tab. You can also right-click on your units to have a small menu appear, from there you can access their civilopædia entries as well.

Can you access the city screen?

The F1 key is the domestic adviser screen where you adjust the lux and science slider, and the other F keys do different things. A lot of newer keyboards are making the F-keys secondary or even nonexistent which is annoying for this game. If you have a new-fangled "no-F-keys" keyboard try alt or fn plus the top row keys.

Yes, from F1 to F6 you get the advisors who can help you with tech research, resource management, foreign relations, culture, etc. The other F keys can help you see some other additional screens.
Have you gotten round to the city screen, civIIIguy?

This site is as difficult as CivIII. I got a couple of very nice and helpful replies to my query but after loading CivIII to try their suggestions, there was no way to get back to the messages to reply. One message said that not all ships can accept loads. I did produce one of the second level ship and tried loading units onto it but still no success. I have used Civilopedia and the right-click but the options provided don't work. It will indicate I for improve but pressing I has no effect. I can't seem to make anything work. I wish there was an instruction manual or at least a guide for those transitioning over from Civ II.

Well, there are so many tutorials, guides, newbie threads, etc. that I don't even know where to start.

I haven't seen any for beginners yet. Can you point me to one that has basics like movement and orders? Thanks.

For moving your units, use the numpad.

Go here for a start.

Follow this thread, too. But go to the other one first.

Loading units, just use the mouse left click to select the unit. Move the curse to the ship. A few of the ships that can load are Galley, Caravel and Galleon. If the ship is in town, then use the L key.

Note that the unit must have movement left to be loaded.

This site is as difficult as CivIII. I got a couple of very nice and helpful replies to my query but after loading CivIII to try their suggestions, there was no way to get back to the messages to reply.

This can be a fast moving thread at times. Best is to make a new thread and copy in the stuff that is for you. Bookmark that thread and subscribe to it. Else just come to this thread and go to the last update and look back.

Loading units, just use the mouse left click to select the unit. Move the curse to the ship. A few of the ships that can load are Galley, Caravel and Galleon. If the ship is in town, then use the L key.

Note that the unit must have movement left to be loaded.

Hasn't worked yet. I a missing something major in the transition from Civ II. Nothing works.

Top Bottom