Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I know it had SOME effect, I think it gives your culture creep a big boost making it easier to flip opposing cities. Exactly how much or even how that works in Civ Rev is not clear to me.

The "I Love the King/Queen Day" give a +5 culture boost in a single city for one turn only. Usually occurs when culture is doubled in a particular city, or when acheiving a significant overall culture increase throughout your civ. You'll often see it after you get the Ark of the Covenant, or whenever you build some wonders.

What is the effect of a river on a terrain's assets/resource output? I seem to recall noticing in a few games that sometimes a plains tile will have an extra food output, and it seems to happen next to rivers. Am I remembering incorrectly? Maybe I was the Russians or something, but I thought I would ask.

What is the effect of a river on a terrain's assets/resource output? I seem to recall noticing in a few games that sometimes a plains tile will have an extra food output, and it seems to happen next to rivers. Am I remembering incorrectly? Maybe I was the Russians or something, but I thought I would ask.

If you get irrigation, you get +1 food next to rivers. Russians get +1 food on plains, but you can get both.

PS: Egypt can get 2 food from deserts next to rivers (2 food 2 water)

I feel dumb asking this (but it fits into this thread), how are battle outcomes determined?

Say I have unit(A) attacking unit(B). UnitA has an attack of 5 and unitB has a defense of 10. So the battle is 5 vs 10.

How is the outcome determined? Does unit A have a 5/15 shot (5/{10+5}) at winning? Basically, if I wanted to make a program on my calculator, how would I do it?

I feel dumb asking this (but it fits into this thread), how are battle outcomes determined? Say I have unit(A) attacking unit(B). UnitA has an attack of 5 and unitB has a defense of 10. So the battle is 5 vs 10. How is the outcome determined? Does unit A have a 5/15 shot (5/{10+5}) at winning? Basically, if I wanted to make a program on my calculator, how would I do it?

Based upon what I have observed (assuming the animations are a true representation of the battle), that is the basic idea. However, the number of subunits (i.e. 3 warriors in a warrior unit) seems to have an impact. I see this most often in battles between a strong unit with a small number of subunits and a weaker army with lots of subunits. If the weaker army gets lucky and takes out one of the strong subunits early then there is a good chance the weaker army will win.

Does anyone know what the mechanics of the higher difficulty levels (Emperor and Deity) are? I get the impression the AI either gets more resources or lower costs on their units/techs, but does anyone know the actual figures?

I haven't played in a while. (Been swamped with school work and crew) But how do I slow down inflation and what causes it in the first place?

I think inflation (roads, rushing cost) is based on which age you are in

I haven't played in a while. (Been swamped with school work and crew) But how do I slow down inflation and what causes it in the first place?

Yes, inflation is a simple rate that increases with the time, and you can't do anything to slow it down.

I have not played civ rev (I only have pc).
I was wondering what the map was like.
On the box it looked like a sphere. I have searched the net for an answer or a screenshot of a complete world map but to no avail.
Is it a sphere? Does it scroll over the poles or something? It looks like ball or something in the pics. Or is it just like all civ with a square map and the sphere just an illusion.

Hi. I want to get a great Christmas gift for my favorite Civilization fanatic. I'm not sure which version he has. If he has Revolution, would it be appropriate to buy him "IV" or is Revolution an improved version of "IV"?

Would also appreciate additional gift suggestions for this fan. Thank you very much

Hi. I want to get a great Christmas gift for my favorite Civilization fanatic. I'm not sure which version he has. If he has Revolution, would it be appropriate to buy him "IV" or is Revolution an improved version of "IV"?

Would also appreciate additional gift suggestions for this fan. Thank you very much
This page http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/civilizations/ has a section of "marketplace" links in the right margin that should help with the various options available.

The rest comes with the disclaimer that I have not played Rev, just read about it. I have played III and IV (for me, "once you play IV, you play III no more")

Sounds like the key question is whether the fan plays Rev, III or IV currently, and which versions within either III or IV.

If they play Rev, but are not a fan of turn based strategy games on the PC (or Mac), they may not be interested in III or IV. My sense is that the PC versions take longer to play (and that Rev is a streamlined version of Civ, for consoles). But if a game with more details to manage (and more detailed combat, it sounds like) in the mold of REV would be of interest, then IV would make sense.

If they play III only, then an upgrade to IV would make sense.

If they play IV but never played III, not sure a step down to III makes sense ... filling out the variants of IV seems more useful. Unless this is a person who has an historical interest in the franchise, and would be interested in the earlier versions for that reason.

Now for my question: I want to get a Rev version for my nephew ... he may only have the DS platform of the ones it comes on. Any feedback on whether the hand held platform handles it as well as the larger consoles (PS3, XBox 360)?

dV

@ da_Vinci: You're pretty much right about CivRev: it's a streamlined version of Civ for the consoles. It has none of the complexity of the PC versions. It was designed to be able to play a complete game in just a few hours. Yet it still manages to retain the essence of Civ - it feels like 'the real thing'. ;)

As for your question, the handheld (DS/iPhone) version of CivRev was built on the same engine as the main console versions, so gameplay is nearly identical. There are a few minor differences. No civilopedia on the handhelds, you can't disband units, etc. It's exactly the same game, though.

@ da_Vinci: You're pretty much right about CivRev: it's a streamlined version of Civ for the consoles. It has none of the complexity of the PC versions. It was designed to be able to play a complete game in just a few hours. Yet it still manages to retain the essence of Civ - it feels like 'the real thing'. ;)

As for your question, the handheld (DS/iPhone) version of CivRev was built on the same engine as the main console versions, so gameplay is nearly identical. There are a few minor differences. No civilopedia on the handhelds, you can't disband units, etc. It's exactly the same game, though.
Thanks for the info ... looks like the one platform my nephew has that fits is the DS ... glad to hear that the hand held version is pretty good too. Does the DS version support some sort of multiplayer?

dV

Hi,

I used the search function, but with the key words "unit" an/or "upgrade" I got so many matches, that I decided to use this thread:

How can I upgrade militray untis? I built Leonardo's Workshop yesterday and this upgraded all my units to the best ones I could currently build. Is it possible to upgrade without Leonardo's Workshop?

German elite units will automatically upgrade, but only if they are elite when the research is completed. Out of order research will probably break the auto-upgrade. (And only German Warriors are automatically veteran, not other units.)

Leo's is a one shot and you must have all of the upgrades researched. The only other way is to sell units (not possible on DS/iPhone) and build the new ones.

German elite units will automatically upgrade, but only if they are elite when the research is completed. Out of order research will probably break the auto-upgrade. (And only German Warriors are automatically veteran, not other units.)

Leo's is a one shot and you must have all of the upgrades researched. The only other way is to sell units (not possible on DS/iPhone) and build the new ones.

Playing on PS3. Thanks for the fast response :)

Top Bottom