Seeking Tips for continuing a poor start

Chomes99

Chieftain
I can often play a new game for one or two hours before I realize I have made a fatal mistake in my strategy (at least in my view) and I have a strong temptation to start a new game.

For example: I just started a new game as Brazil and I had lots of nice jungles around, I managed to get the Jungle culture pantheon and was excited, so I decided I would try to go strong on religion and use Piety. before I know it all the good religious beliefs are taken up and my best buddy Pacal is pumping out the missionaries. I have a large army and Pacal is an easy target. But I cannot attack a friend. All of a sudden my whole plan is gone to and I get frustrated. why did I waste a policy on piety? I feel I could have done better.

Does anyone else ever feel this way? Do you have any tips for overcoming the urge to "rage quit"?

since BNW, my play style isnt working that great. I always fall behind in wonder, science and points. Playing on King, used to play on Emperor.

It is also satisfying to come back from a back situation, but that doesnt happen too often.

Switching to Pacal's faith can still reap benefits if his religion is better than yours (mosques, pagodas, etc.) and you can still use the faith for purchasing great people later on and the reformation belief you pick up can be a powerful weapon for all of the other victory types, depending on your selection.

Meanwhile, you have a large army. You don't have to use it on Pacal; find someone else you can't stand and hammer him. There's still plenty of time to recover.

HB

With so many features now in BNW you CANNOT dominate in every aspect, and you cannot expect to anymore. If you spread yourself too thin investing in everything, you're not gunna be good at everything, plain and simple.

Maybe try going down a difficulty level to get used to the changes?

yeah maybe I should try prince. weird thing is my first game with BNW was with Poland and I had dominating in every way, got a culture win just to try it out. that was on King, havent been able to replicate since :(

If I want to really try and continue a poor start, I expand faster than I normally would to claim so better turf before everyone else does.

I've heard that going tall is more beneficial now. Is there any truth to that? I see that it is now easier with domestic trade routes.

I went down a similar path. See my thread here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=502359

I'm going to lose this game but I am enjoying it anyway. I don't think Piety without a religion is as game ending as it sounds. I was able to pull myself into contention before totally screwing everything up with other bad decisions.

Victory seems so much up in the air until the late game that I'm not sure early game mistakes are that devastating on the lower difficulty levels.

yeah maybe I should try prince. weird thing is my first game with BNW was with Poland and I had dominating in every way, got a culture win just to try it out. that was on King, havent been able to replicate since :(

I won a great victory as Shoshone on Prince and thought I was an expert at BNW now. I'm now playing as Morocco and really struggling. BNW does seem to have a big random factor in it. I got Pyramids, Stonehenge AND Great Library on my Shoshone game. On this game, I got Pyramids, and missed out on Notre Dame by 1 turn!!! I seem to be about 4-8th in tech when I'm used to being #1. Arrgghhh.

Cheers.

Tall seems to work best for me, depends on your map size and how much happiness you can generate. I get a lot of happiness from trading luxuries, so if I piss off my neighbors I can't trade luxuries. I also get a lot of happiness form luxuries acquired through patronage.

My current game which I didn't play all weekend I've taken France, Liberty, and skipped Patronage for Aesthetics and Exploration. I really like the Chateau. I think I just like to landscape. ;-)

thanks everyone, I took my army and headed west against russia who I thought would have an army in waiting, surprise surprise, they rolled over, I got my old enemy germany to join the fight. I took all of russia except one city which Russia gave to Germany for peace and which Germany razed to the ground from pop 11. After the conquest I had negative 15 happiness, but was able to get it down to negative 2 pretty quick before heading to bed last night. Now I have the land I need and no real threats on my continent. new Brazilwood coming online is keeping me rich and I have annexed Moscow and another production powerhouse. Things are looking up! no I need to find some new civs to trade away all my extra luxes.

Top Bottom