What is your favorite Civ?

Oh, my mistake. I never really checked to see if i ever actually got more gold from my caravans, kinda just assumed that it did. I guess that's what i get for skipping through everything :lol:. I forgot that Zulu got +50% gold production, that alone could tip the scale in their favor, but first i gotta try a game with them.

I would say Spanish and Zulu are the best

I assume you picked Spain as your other choice because of the exploration cash bonus? I've never played as them, is it really that useful? or is there some other reason you picked them?

Oh, my mistake. I never really checked to see if i ever actually got more gold from my caravans, kinda just assumed that it did. I guess that's what i get for skipping through everything :lol:. I forgot that Zulu got +50% gold production, that alone could tip the scale in their favor, but first i gotta try a game with them.

I assume you picked Spain as your other choice because of the exploration cash bonus? I've never played as them, is it really that useful? or is there some other reason you picked them?

No, Spain gets 50% gold in industrial era and you can build a lot of islands cities, producing much gold really fast and easy

Either England or the Zulu. Russia is probably the weakest Civ in the game though, along with the Mongols.

I've found that the Russians are one of the strongest in the game. They just need a little more thought and planning. I used to have such problems with the Russians until a number of nice people here gave me some super strategies. If you are looking for a Domination win, you are going to have problems. But once you get the hang of Russia's defensive bonuses, the other winning criteria become almost brokenly easy to attain.

I'd actually agree with the OP, the Russians are fun. Sure, they aren't the most powerful MP civ (many will say they're the least) but the really fun games (to me) are the ones where you get a couple huge cities in the early-mid game. Population == power in civ, and when you can start next to 4 river plains, rush a granary, and hit irrigation first (20 food in 4 tiles!), you know its going to be a fun game.

I think it's fun when a civ attacks one of your cities with walls and 2 defenders and you just sit back and watch the invading army disappear as they throw themselves at your cities :D

I guess my faves would have to be Russia and Egypt. I started with Egypt on the early difficulty levels and it was so much fun getting Domination victories with them :D

Aztecs - Healing and temples can be built early on instead of libraries.

Egyptians - On desert worlds, I was using tanks and bombers against knihts and archers.

Americans - Wonders buil in 1-2 turns!

Germans/Mongolians - Fun beating the %^$# out of other civs.

Granted I haven't tried all the civs yet, but the Aztecs are still at the top of my list.

I can complete Deity only with Lincoln, so naturally America is my favourite. All the abilities are great- the first one helps you get money quick, the second is also nice, the third is great with a granary and the fourth allows you to absolutely dominate production-wise.

When I posted back in 09, i was all about Japan and naval power. Now, well I am all about anyone I can conquer with. Lol. I really think each civ has its advantages and disadvantages. I think the Germans are very good if you are conquest-oriented. If you like Navy go with England, or Spain espicially. If you like culture I reccomend Egypt becaus eyou start out with a wonder and it just helps a lot in that regard. Throw Greece into culture as well. If you would like a well-rounded civ go for America, China, or Rome. And if you want a challenge, go with Russia and Mongolia. Arabia and Japan go into the military camp as well. An economic victory is very good for Arabia, America and Rome. Really, it all depends on how you want to win. I think just try to find what's best for you. I've won with them all so it helps to have experience :p.

In Revolution, of which I have played the Ipod version, I prefer Isabella's Spain. The economic bonuses are significant, and the starting naval advantage allows you to explore, finding other landmasses and the Ancient Wonders, which can significantly assist you, much faster than competitors. I have won easily on all but the last difficulty, and I am not very good (I'm yet to beat noble on civ 4 which I got 2 months ago).
Not that there are other continents...

I love playing a One City Challenge with Egypt. If you get a wiggly desert river and a bunch of Spices, and you roll the Colossus for your free Wonder... damn.

I can complete Deity only with Lincoln, so naturally America is my favourite. All the abilities are great- the first one helps you get money quick, the second is also nice, the third is great with a granary and the fourth allows you to absolutely dominate production-wise.

I couldn't agree more, the Americans are quite useful, and are my favourite in the normal start setup. For blitz and other scenarios, there are some definite advantages to the Zulu or any other early militarist civ. People like hating on France, but in reality the early cathedral makes for a great start to a cultural victory. All in all, for the most part, a one size fits all strategy can be adopted to beat deity with any of these nations, but nations like France, Zulu, and America allow for a bit more specialization, whereas the advantages 4 other nations tend-at least in my opinion- to be rather undistinct.

I like the Romans for the half price wonders, roads, and the one pop settlers. I think they are one of the best for all victories but conquest. The Mongols are the best at that because they can convert early barb villages into cities, allowing them to build less settlers. They also get a production bonus, so they can build more units.

I like the Romans for the half price wonders, roads, and the one pop settlers. I think they are one of the best for all victories but conquest. The Mongols are the best at that because they can convert early barb villages into cities, allowing them to build less settlers. They also get a production bonus, so they can build more units.

My problem is that the mongols end up with really crappy cities usually. I like the Russians, Japanese, Germans, Americans, and Greeks.

When i first got the game i played england first, then i read a bit about the UU and played the incans for a few games (settle city, quechua, quechua, quechua..kill kill kill!!!)

Once id got bored of that i went back to playing liz and lately churchill.

Gonna try rameses next game though.

For opposing AI i have an irrational hatred of Ragnar as he always attacks me, usually while my troops are fighting somewhere else, and usually at pleased.

And hatty seems the easiest to get on with.

I think you meant to post in the civ 4 forum, because I don't recognize those leaders, especially the Incas.

I like the Americans because the 2% gold+1/2 unit rush is really fun if you have the 1000 gold option.

I'm not sure I have one yet. I beat it on the first two difficulties and been playing "King" lately.
So far I'd say, it varies based on the map and your starting location.

I've had a game where Japan was on an island and teched up all game, while Genghis attacked me for most of it, thereby delaying me from being able to tech up as fast. Japan launched his first space module just as I got tank technology.
So if you are isolated, you can tech up most of the game too.

Another where, I got a Pangea map and all 4 of the other empires declared war on me over a short period of time in the Ancient Era.
It gets annoying when you can't even build your first library, because you are continuously building units to defend your cities and attack stray units.
My location was the problem in that one. I started in the middle and all of the other empires had to do thru me first to get to any contact with the others.

The maps are so small on CivRev too.
When I can't even create the cities around my radius one, 3-4 tiles away from my Capitol without war being declared, the game has issues.

I'm not sure I have one yet. I beat it on the first two difficulties and been playing "King" lately.
So far I'd say, it varies based on the map and your starting location.

I've had a game where Japan was on an island and teched up all game, while Genghis attacked me for most of it, thereby delaying me from being able to tech up as fast. Japan launched his first space module just as I got tank technology.
So if you are isolated, you can tech up most of the game too.

Another where, I got a Pangea map and all 4 of the other empires declared war on me over a short period of time in the Ancient Era.
It gets annoying when you can't even build your first library, because you are continuously building units to defend your cities and attack stray units.
My location was the problem in that one. I started in the middle and all of the other empires had to do thru me first to get to any contact with the others.

The maps are so small on CivRev too.
When I can't even create the cities around my radius one, 3-4 tiles away from my Capitol without war being declared, the game has issues.

Expand more, build less. Rule of thumb for Civ Rev is that buildings are almost useless and more cities is always better, so beeline for Code of Laws to get into Republic and expand as much as you can before the AI gets uppity. Hammers wasted on building like Libraries are not spent on more settlers, so you generally shouldn't even build them in the first place. Units are more situational but you still only have to build what you need, and not a lick more. Also, learning the art of the horserush will keep you safer than any defense you could ever emplace.
********************************************************************************************************************************
I love the game so much, I kind of like them all really. I recently got into mainline Civ, specifically Civ4, and this game really makes you appreciate the very subtle differences and advantages most of the civs have. They don't have much of an advantage in terms of magnitude over each other, but as you get better and better at the game and play it on a higher level you learn to really leverage what they do have and milk it for all it's worth.

And then there's the Americans :p Most broken civ in the game by far, and throws that whole feeling out of whack.

Anyway, some of my favs:

Mongols: I love the challenge and the dynamics of using them: each game is an adventure when you can't rely on huts. The 3 move horse units are spiffy and I *love* that mountain bonus, it makes for extremely easy production cities in the mid-game Knight spamming era, or one/two mega-production centers that can crank a wonder per turn later on! Only the Americans can really rival that late game production capability.

Japanese: I purposely never leverage the greatest bonus the japanese have, the knight attack, because I'm not much of a warmonger in the mid-game, only extremely early or late after getting tanks, but undeniably that food bonus to water tiles from the outset is amazing. Especially considering how important it is to tech and expand in this game, and how that bonus lets you grow without sacrificing beakers...its amazing, and they are one of the easiest to use because of it. Just expand and make sure you have as much water as possible, and rake in the tech.

Aztecs: The heal bonus is stupidly strong, especially in the early game with horses or warriors. And that free starting 25g lets you settler walk for a couple turns for free basically (you should generally seek to earn a total that equals about 8g per turn you walk, or gain a net move in the direction of an opponent per turn that you walk). Probably the 2nd strongest early game after the Americans, and that's saying something!

Chinese: If the Americans are easy-mode, the Chinese are more like easy-mode Lite. Every bonus they have is awesome: starting with 3 pop cities gives you a significant early game advantage no matter how you slice it (just don't screw it up by making a militia, ouch!), free Writing fast tracks you to CoL, free Literacy means you don't even have to tech it and you can get the 1st research bonus, cheap libraries means they are actually worth building making their science game even better on top of the 2 free techs and almost guaranteed Literacy bonus, and finally they get no anarchy in the later stages of the game which is the only time it's really of any use (after you have multiple situational government to switch between). Oh yeah, and because of the 3 pop starting cities, the Chinese excel at horse rushes too, having more tech power and production than any other civ that early. A really, really good civ, the overall #2 behind the Americans IMO.

Romans: Specifically, I like the cheap wonders. Sure, starting with Republic is great and lets you expand early and everything, but my favorite part comes after 5 techs when I can start building multiple wonders in even small, just fair production spots with only like 6 hammers. With just that small number of production you can build the average 150 hammer wonder in 13 turns as the Romans, meaning you could build many of them concurrently and still finish most or all before the AI could even get one. And then because I like to expand all game, the +1 pop on cities in the modern era means 6 pop cities being plopped down, ready to spit out multiple settlers immediately or get right to work as a contributive member of the empire. Overall a fun, easy civ to play considering the metagame.

Arabs: These guys are my latest addition to the favorites club as I just started realizing just how flexible they are in their aggression. I mean, Fundy is a no-brainer for early game power, but these guys can do anything: warrior rush, horse rush, catapult rush (and very quick too, with free math!), keep using horses long after pikemen come out, and or simply field the most super-powered knights in the game. You can freaking Archer rush with the Arabs! The Arabs are stupidly strong in their aggression, so much so that you can completely ignore the expansion aspect of the metagame entirely and just focus on keeping the cities you conquer or wiping everybody out. Only a couple other civs can boast that and other than the Americans those still require a lot of strategy and a bit of luck to pull off on Deity.

Zulu: I really like how powerful the Zulu's early game is. Gaining advantages in the early game is so impact that it can determine the entire rest of the game and how smoothly (or not) it goes from then on. With 2 move warriors and overruns at 3x power, the Zulu can explore the map and clean up huts and goodies faster than anybody else, even the Americans or Aztecs, and that means you can have your hands on some serious gold and thus extreme power to leverage. Or you could just warrior rush :D The overrun bonus comes in handy in a few specific situations later that just make life easier. Namely, vet horse armies overrunning single non-fortified archers or fortified warriors or legion armies is quite handy in keeping things speedy and preventing vulnerability from injuries. They don't have much else to offer beyond this strong opening but they are still fun.

Spanish: Mostly for the Vet Galleon fleet + Legion stacks of doom strategy, which is always shocking in its effectiveness. Other than that, I like the extra gold form exploration, which really adds up if you are playing the way you're supposed to, and starting with Whale access + Galleons is situational but very spiffy if you are lucky enough to leverage them. I also have a soft spot for them because they were my favorite civ when I was learning to play back when I sucked a lot more at the game than I do now :p

Americans: Of course I couldn't get away without mentioning good ol' USA. The horribly, terribly BROKEN AND OVERPOWERED Americans :lol:. Playing the Americans is a win button even in Deity, there's just nothing that can really be done to stop you once the 5 tech rush bonus kicks in and even then you start with a Great Person which has the potential to vastly improve your starting situation above a more standard civ like Russia. The fastest horse rush in the game, the most powerful unit macro of any civ, all good bonuses but especially the 5 tech and 24 tech ones...these guys are just nuts, and I think that honestly that the only way to can even possibly fathom losing as the American in single player, on any difficulty, is if you intentionally gimp yourself or screw up by being too extremely aggressive before horses or your rush bonus sets in, IN ADDITION to being screwed over by your starting GP by getting a Great Artist/Thinker or Great Leader. Even then, unless you sit there and take it, it would be an uphill battle for the AI to try to cripple you before 5 techs and after 5 techs you could easily break out and overpower them like always.

I generally play with the Russians as Catherine - I prefer a militarily defensive game shes stronger than Lenin for that

Top Bottom