Settling on top of resources.

Divaythsarmour

Adventurer
I just want to make sure that I have this right. If you settle on top of a resource (that you've researched the prerequisite for), you won't get the benefit of it (as if you settled next to it and worked the tile). Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. You never get the bonus from a resource you settle on top of. That is one of the key drawbacks with the Mongolian benefit of having barbs joining their civilization, since there is always a resource under a barb city location.

And why you want to build your first city next to a barbarian village...

If you have a military unit, or can rush one, setlling next to a barb village can be profitable. You get the village plunder and the resource. Be wary of Barb villages on hills. When they attack, the barbs get the hill bonus and can wipe you out.

I just want to make sure that I have this right. If you settle on top of a resource (that you've researched the prerequisite for), you won't get the benefit of it (as if you settled next to it and worked the tile). Is this correct?

To clarify, if you settle on top of a resource that you have researched the tech for, you get a +10 one time boost to the city that the resource provides.

Example; If you have researched Construction and settle a city on top of Oak, you will get a one time boost of 10 hammers to that city.

Same would be true for Silk. If you had already researched Literacy and Settled on top of silk, you would get a 1 time boost of 10 culture in that city.

Wine = +10 for trade, etc...

This is really something to keep in mind when playing with the Indians, as they have access to all resources from the start. Though typically I find it's better to settle next to them instead of on top of them, but it can come in handy...

Top Bottom