Civ2 for windows 7

cmsennello

Chieftain
okay, so i downloaded everything onto my computer (which is new because my old one crapped out and HAD to have windows 7) and the operating system will not allow me to load the game. is there something i need to download or add or do to be able to get around this?

Strictly speaking, this should be located in the Tech Support forum, where you may find this info anyway.

Multiplayer Gold Edition can run directly on Windows 7, if you use a patch found here.

EDIT: This post tells how you can get MGE if all you have is a classic Civ 2 disk.

Civ 2 classic won't run directly on a Windows 7 OS (at least the 64 bit versions).

You have a couple options (to my knowledge), which involve virtualization software.

1. If you have Professional or higher, you can get Windows Virtual PC and run the game in XP mode. This is most convenient for game play once you have everything set up. Unfortunately, upgrading to Pro is expensive, and might require re-installing your operating system, which is not a trivial undertaking and might require expert assistance (I think there is an "upgrade" option that does not require this, but don't take my word for it). If you do go this route, it is best to do that sooner rather than later (also, if you are a university student (or, I guess, know one), check if your school has an agreement with Microsoft; I was able to upgrade to Pro for free through my school).

2. Get other virtualization software and run an OS that supports civ 2. This video explains how to get a bare-bones version of civ 2 (no sounds, no fancy civlopedia) using free software (beyond the civ 2 game itself).

I know this may be a radical suggestion. I have just bought a cheap (£40) laptop, with a 40GB hard drive and have installed Win 98 on it, specifically for old games. I did my research and made sure 98 drivers were available for it (IBM Thinkpad 600E).

First game installed - Civ 2. No patches or scenarios yet, just enjoying the glow of a game not played for eons.

I might try a dual boot sometime and go back to DOS or Win 3.1 so I can play Civ 1 and Powermonger and Populous.

Why laptop? Takes up no space.

Mick

---
Moderator Action: Suspicious link removed.

okay, so i downloaded everything onto my computer (which is new because my old one crapped out and HAD to have windows 7) and the operating system will not allow me to load the game. is there something i need to download or add or do to be able to get around this?

I did the same, i installed the civ2 multiplayer gold edition and the patch3 With windows 7. The game is working but i got problems with indeo codecs... I've seen on a different blogs that windows has added security updates in 2009 to avoid programs to access internet with indeo codecs....

So we can play with no wonder video and high concil....:mad::mad:

I believe they can be turned off in the Game Options menu.

Top Bottom