Favorite barbarian Setting?

Favorite Barbarian Setting in Civ2 Gold

• Total voters

KommissarReb

Chieftain
I don't know about you, but I always put Barbarians on the "Raging Hordes" difficulty. Its great for a game I'm in where I have an empire that spans across the world, and every AI faction is united against me. Well, actually the Barbarians are on "Restless tribes" in that particular game. Also the difficulty is set to Warlord, but that's besides the point.

In my ever-so humble opinion, if you can hold your own against the Barbarians whenever they attack, the only havoc they'll be causing is to the AI players. This is always fun to watch when they disrupt enemies of your who are organizing forces.

Which setting do you prefer in Civilization II (Gold)?

Attachments

• Roman-Kendan War.JPG
    Roman-Kendan War.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 414
  • Barbarian Lands.JPG
    Barbarian Lands.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 436
I always have them set at "raging hordes". Anything less is unacceptable to me, lol. The barbarians are a fun variable. They keep things interesting. You never know where or when they're going to spring up, and they keep you on your toes even when you're at peace. Plus they fight better than the other civs. A civ2 game without the barbarians, or with too few barbarians, would be... well, still great fun (it is civ2 after all), but less so.

While I play on all settings, I have a slight preference towards the opposite end of the spectrum where barbarians appear out of huts only.
As KommissarReb pointed out, at higher barbarian settings the barbarians are more of a menace for your rivals than you. This is even true at Emperor and Deity.

Definitely Raging Hordes. Almost always. The other settings just aren't as exciting.

Just Wandering Tribes. I hate it when they go to Partisans and start tearing up your Farmland

While I play on all settings, I have a slight preference towards the opposite end of the spectrum where barbarians appear out of huts only.
As KommissarReb pointed out, at higher barbarian settings the barbarians are more of a menace for your rivals than you. This is even true at Emperor and Deity.
I have a technique whereby I can control whether I get any barb uprisings or not, and thus the barbs tend to appear in my rivals' territory. Pity;)

I have a technique whereby I can control whether I get any barb uprisings or not, and thus the barbs tend to appear in my rivals' territory. Pity;)
There are two kinds of barbarian showings. The first kind is an uprising where they appear in remote unsettled areas. This kind you can prevent by fully setting your land leaving few tiles not in some city's radius.

The second kind is a sea raider where the barbarians disembark from a ship that just appears on the scene. As far as I know, there is no way to prevent this kind of raid.

What is your technique Lilyblack?

There are two kinds of barbarian showings. The first kind is an uprising where they appear in remote unsettled areas. This kind you can prevent by fully setting your land leaving few tiles not in some city's radius.

The second kind is a sea raider where the barbarians disembark from a ship that just appears on the scene. As far as I know, there is no way to prevent this kind of raid.

What is your technique Lilyblack?
I can't prevent the Sea Raiders, but for the uprising, I designate a single Unit, put it on Wait each turn, and when it comes up, I know the turn is about to end, so I save the game to a designated file slot, and hit the space bar. If an Uprising occurs, I just reload and keep on till no uprising occurs. Sometimes it takes four or more tries, but it keeps my Irrigations and Farmlands from getting chewed up ;)

Interesting. Reloading, in general, is considered cheating and not allowed in competition games like GOTM.

One more reason not to play. I'm not very competitive, anyway :p

Competition is definitely a big part of the GOTM. However, there are many other aspects such as learning how to play the game better, learning how others play (different strategies and tactics), playing under interesting unusual settings (we sometimes play on custom maps and sometimes with special rules).

Competition is definitely a big part of the GOTM. However, there are many other aspects such as learning how to play the game better, learning how others play (different strategies and tactics), playing under interesting unusual settings (we sometimes play on custom maps and sometimes with special rules).
Okay, I'll keep a watch and when you get one on a lower setting, I'll give it a go. :)

Okay, I guess you all know this one: When you go from square one to buy something, a civic improvement or a military unit, its total cost in gold is significantly higher than if you wait a turn or two. Like, a Musketeer is 210 GP if you want to immediately garrison a city, but just 100 GP with one shield

Indeed. The cost is doubled when starting from an empty shield box. For structures every shield costs 2g. So if you have one shield and want to rush a temple it costs 39x2=78g. But if you want to rush a temple with no shields in, then it costs 40x2x2=160g.

Top Bottom